Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:53 pm When weighing up the success of certain adaptations of King material against our own personal fondness for them, one thing we can definitely agree on:

Dreamcatcher. Just.... holy shitweasels.
I wish i liked both the book and movie so much more than I do
By Hatter313
havershaw wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:01 pm The idea that Maximum Overdrive could be worse than the recent Pet Sematary seems insane to me.

Granted, I haven’t seen Maximum Overdrive in decades but maybe my hatred for that new Pet Sematary is still just too fresh.
To be fair, you may be right. i should reconsider MO. it won't get much higher, but it is a lot of fun
By Mateo Sanboval
Shawshank is a hammy film and terribly overrated. It's the Forrest Gump of SK adaptations and the way it was handled by moviemakers and goers alike caused me to skip The Green Mile which to this day I've never seen.

Maximum Overdrive is rad, but rad like a bad movie can be.

Secret Window and The Mist are both pretty great and oft overlooked from my perspective.

The Director's Cut of Needful Things is worth a watch if you even remotely enjoyed the original. ScoJo need not apply.

The Outsider was excellent, but should have been two episodes shorter. Though what shouldn't be these days?

The trailer for The Dark Tower did everything it could to let us know just how bad this was going to be. I suspect we all received the message and went anyway. Choices.

I have other feelings. Perhaps I'll make them into a list instead.
By NathanLurker
I have the Dreamcatcher DVD. I remember seeing it for the first time and being disappointed (I never read the book, I was just interested in the movie) and thinking it was bad movie. But years later I still bought the DVD for like 5 bucks cause there's stuff I felt I had really liked about it. It might just be a feeling of what it could have been, something I've hold on to that it could have been something special. Maybe it's the casting. Anyway, there's some good stuff in that bad movie.

The Mist is my favourite movie from 2007. I saw bits of the tv series and I'd rather not talk about it.
By Hatter313
NathanLurker wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:19 pm I have the Dreamcatcher DVD. I remember seeing it for the first time and being disappointed (I never read the book, I was just interested in the movie) and thinking it was bad movie. But years later I still bought the DVD for like 5 bucks cause there's stuff I felt I had really liked about it. It might just be a feeling of what it could have been, something I've hold on to that it could have been something special. Maybe it's the casting. Anyway, there's some good stuff in that bad movie.

The Mist is my favourite movie from 2007. I saw bits of the tv series and I'd rather not talk about it.
i think the first act is awesome
By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:15 pm Shawshank is a hammy film and terribly overrated. It's the Forrest Gump of SK adaptations and the way it was handled by moviemakers and goers alike caused me to skip The Green Mile which to this day I've never seen.

Maximum Overdrive is rad, but rad like a bad movie can be.

Secret Window and The Mist are both pretty great and oft overlooked from my perspective.

The Director's Cut of Needful Things is worth a watch if you even remotely enjoyed the original. ScoJo need not apply.

The Outsider was excellent, but should have been two episodes shorter. Though what shouldn't be these days?

The trailer for The Dark Tower did everything it could to let us know just how bad this was going to be. I suspect we all received the message and went anyway. Choices.

I have other feelings. Perhaps I'll make them into a list instead.
I'm guilty of the populist opinion on Shawshank I admit, but there it is.

It took me until DVD to realize that the Needful Things i hd seen on TV a bunch of times was a directors cut. So disappointed that i can't get my hands on that cut anymore. I also lived in a bubble where i didn't realize how disliked that movie was until years later, i always found it to be one of my favorites as you can see. but there it is again.

I waited for the Dark Tower to be available to stream and i was still pissed.
By tim28212
I'm surprised to see Cujo so low on peoples list. Anytime I run across it while channel surfing I'll stop, and I watch my DVD quite often. I rank it right up the with The Dead Zone.
By Hatter313
tim28212 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:47 pm I'm surprised to see Cujo so low on peoples list. Anytime I run across it while channel surfing I'll stop, and I watch my DVD quite often. I rank it right up the with The Dead Zone.
And this whole mini thread we've got going is why i love SK so much. The diverse reactions to his work, to the adaptations of his work, what people get out of them and what they put into them etc.

Also i like that you put it up against the Dead Zone since it acts as almost as a direct sequel to the Castle Rock portions of DZ...poor Bannerman.
By havershaw
Ok, I’ll admit it:
I loved Christine as a teen and I saw it at an Alamo in 2019 and I thought it had aged *terribly*.

Amazing vibe, cinematography, score, etc., and some great set pieces.
But I kinda thought the characters were suuuuuuper generic and unrealistic, and (in some cases) overly broad.
Had no idea what to do with any of the (very few) women in the film.
I haven’t read the book since I was a kid so I’m not sure if the book is that way.
By Hatter313
havershaw wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:06 am Ok, I’ll admit it:
I loved Christine as a teen and I saw it at an Alamo in 2019 and I thought it had aged *terribly*.

Amazing vibe, cinematography, score, etc., and some great set pieces.
But I kinda thought the characters were suuuuuuper generic and unrealistic, and (in some cases) overly broad.
Had no idea what to do with any of the (very few) women in the film.
I haven’t read the book since I was a kid so I’m not sure if the book is that way.

All of the above is true i think. but that first sentence of yours outweighs the rest for me. and the side characters are great. Proski, Stanton, and Blossoms are so weird and grotesque in their own way in that film that it makes the sort of cookie cutter teens ok in my book.

Sometimes I imagine, like a lot of others, what Carpenter could have done with Firestarter, as originally intended.
By inksb
A lot of stuff to catch up on in here. I haven't seen a majority of the King adaptions in ages but I feel the need to step in here and defend The Mangler. I understand it's a bad movie but I find it insanely fun and cheesy film about a haunted industrial folding machine. I haven't read the King story but I can't imagine it's very good either. It would probably fall pretty low or at least in the middle of the pack if I were to to rank all the films Iv'e seen but it's a fun one for me. Also I'm a giant Hooper fan so there's that.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:14 am A lot of stuff to catch up on in here. I haven't seen a majority of the King adaptions in ages but I feel the need to step in here and defend The Mangler. I understand it's a bad movie but I find it insanely fun and cheesy film about a haunted industrial folding machine. I haven't read the King story but I can't imagine it's very good either. It would probably fall pretty low or at least in the middle of the pack if I were to to rank all the films Iv'e seen but it's a fun one for me. Also I'm a giant Hooper fan so there's that.
Actually i quite like the short story, i may have to revisit it myself, because for all my memory of it, it is still Hooper.

Although the Langoliers is Tom Holland but that won't save it.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:20 am
inksb wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:14 am A lot of stuff to catch up on in here. I haven't seen a majority of the King adaptions in ages but I feel the need to step in here and defend The Mangler. I understand it's a bad movie but I find it insanely fun and cheesy film about a haunted industrial folding machine. I haven't read the King story but I can't imagine it's very good either. It would probably fall pretty low or at least in the middle of the pack if I were to to rank all the films Iv'e seen but it's a fun one for me. Also I'm a giant Hooper fan so there's that.
Actually i quite like the short story, i may have to revisit it myself, because for all my memory of it, it is still Hooper.

I haven't read the story in a couple of decades myself, but I remember enjoying it as well.
By havershaw
@Hatter I mean there’s enough good in it that I do own it on blu ray - I was just surprised at how it was vs my perception of it as a kid.

Believe me, there are plenty of movies that I know aren’t really great movies that I still love anyway.
By Hatter313
havershaw wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:30 am @Hatter I mean there’s enough good in it that I do own it on blu ray - I was just surprised at how it was vs my perception of it as a kid.

Believe me, there are plenty of movies that I know aren’t really great movies that I still love anyway.
The most important part for sure.

I may go back to that list and annotate it, I’m kind of thinking about it a lot now
By tim28212
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:26 am

I haven't read the story in a couple of decades myself, but I remember enjoying it as well.
The short story is in the collection Night Shift which I have to say is the one collection of his I enjoyed the most. Maybe because they were from his early years and I think that is when he did some of his best stuff. "I Am The Doorway" is one of my all time favs which is also from the same collection.
By Hatter313
My copy of of night shift is one of the few in my collection that I’ve had since childhood, that and Skeleton Crew were my mother’s copies and I spent so much time reading those two cover to cover. Having a bunch of those early ones in hardcover is what eventually led to me filling in the gaps..sometimes expensively so haha
By ScoJo
tim28212 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:03 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:26 am

The short story is in the collection Night Shift which I have to say is the one collection of his I enjoyed the most. Maybe because they were from his early years and I think that is when he did some of his best stuff. "I Am The Doorway" is one of my all time favs which is also from the same collection.
I Am The Doorway also inspired that incredible book cover art as well, of course! Have you ever seen this pin that my friends at Forever Midnight made? Incredible.

image-asset.jpeg
image-asset.jpeg (212.62 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:36 pm My copy of of night shift is one of the few in my collection that I’ve had since childhood, that and Skeleton Crew were my mother’s copies and I spent so much time reading those two cover to cover. Having a bunch of those early ones in hardcover is what eventually led to me filling in the gaps..sometimes expensively so haha
There was a movie tie-in copy of Carrie on my parents bookshelf when I was growing up in Edinburgh, early 70s. I would have been about 4 or 5 and used to sneak looks at the grisly cover/images, scared shitless. Think that was my first encounter with SK. (They also had the standard 70s bunch of Denis Wheatley paperbacks, all of which also scared the crap out of me!)

Later, around 11 or 12, I ordered a bunch of hardbacks from one of those book of the month clubs (for 25p each!) and one of them was the book club edition of The Shining/Salem's Lot/Carrie. Read the whole thing in a few days, laid up in bed with the flu. Game changer.

My mum became an even more Constant Reader than me over the years - we used to pass them back and forth when I was at home, and then as I've forged my way as 'an adult' (ha!) out in the world she has continued to read pretty much everything, while I've gone through phases and missed a lot. Haven't read a new King since Duma Key/The Cell I think.

Every Xmas, I still buy my mum a new SK hardcover if there's one she hasn't read. Which there usually is!
By Hatter313
I have the fright rags shirt of that cover art and it ALWAYS gets a look from people. I also have a "we never sleep" shirt that gets some appreciative nods and years ago I made a screen printed "Study Damnit" shirt for myself that i'm hoping to fit into again soon.

Dude, 70's pb of Wheatley books is definitely an eBay search of mine haha.

I have read scattered stuff after Duma Key, but i always buy them because i'll get to them eventually and because no half measure at this point right? I really liked Duma Key and felt it was one fo the strongest of his later period.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:48 pm I have the fright rags shirt of that cover art and it ALWAYS gets a look from people. I also have a "we never sleep" shirt that gets some appreciative nods and years ago I made a screen printed "Study Damnit" shirt for myself that i'm hoping to fit into again soon.

I have read scattered stuff after Duma Key, but i always buy them because i'll get to them eventually and because no half measure at this point right? I really liked Duma Key and felt it was one fo the strongest of his later period.
Really liked DK too, and now I think of it around that time I also read Lisey's Story, also really good (but I barely recall that one...)

Hats old boy, I feel like we could quite painlessly spend an evening of conversation in a windswept, remote New England tavern one of these days :)
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:44 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:48 pm I have the fright rags shirt of that cover art and it ALWAYS gets a look from people. I also have a "we never sleep" shirt that gets some appreciative nods and years ago I made a screen printed "Study Damnit" shirt for myself that i'm hoping to fit into again soon.

Really liked DK too, and now I think of it around that time I also read Lisey's Story, also really good (but I barely recall that one...)

Hats old boy, I feel like we could quite painlessly spend an evening of conversation in a windswept, remote New England tavern one of these days :)
one day i hope to haha!
By deafmetal
I lost track of King a while back as well, but I fell off my chair when I saw he snuck in a new Dark Tower book The Wind Through the Key Hole back in 2012. It's a tall tale told in between books 4/5. Great read!
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:35 pm I lost track of King a while back as well, but I fell off my chair when I saw he snuck in a new Dark Tower book The Wind Through the Key Hole back in 2012. It's a tall tale told in between books 4/5. Great read!
Word!