Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Chuggers
I remember a couple of years ago (at least? Has it been four already) when they were preparing to release more original music, starting with that incredible PILOTPRIEST 3xlp. That's a risk taking, forward thinking company I was 100% invested in and spent countless afternoons refreshing my browser for. I still follow and appreciate what they're doing, my life has changed greatly so I'm aware that's played a significant role...I'm just barely star struck these days...and while wishing everyone undying success and health, I rarely have the spare $40 lying around to justify my once enthusiastic desire or drive to be a completist for any brand but my own.
By skeletonbutt
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:14 am I know WW are big enough and ugly enough to defend themselves (except they seem to prefer redaction/non-interaction heh heh) but I have to balance this convo out a bit.

I don't entirely agree with the narrative that they only release guaranteed 'big hitter' properties. Like M/DW, I can point towards a handful of releases that I'm personally thrilled to have on wax, but can't for the life of me imagine them selling really well - Thelma, Queen of Earth, The Prowler, Cruising, Autopsy of Jane Doe.... granted, for me the majority of their releases hold no interest since all three labels are now working with big IPs/film distributors to pack their schedules.

It's the usual story though, regarding success - the theory being that for every batch of horror franchise re-issues, Marvel titles or high profile modern genre/horror flicks (such as Waxworks with The Prodigy, Childs Play etc), each company can still afford to put out lesser-known/cult titles that they dig which they're not leaning on to be big immediate sellouts.

And the reality is, all of these labels each have a fairly diverse customer base now - the toy collector, the Marvel head, the modern score/fancy package collector, the die hard film score/genre fan who welcomes reissues/expanded releases of favourites and hard to find bangers.... and I still fell like I can just ignore most of their output which has zero interest for me (I'm looking at you, Tiki mugs...) and be grateful for the chance to have some outlier/cool scores on wax. Both Thelma and Queen of Earth were the standout films/soundtracks of last year for me, and I loved the package treatment that each score received. Each of these three labels is still capable of occasionally nailing it for me.

That's my personal tuppence fellas. Just to balance things out.
that's fair, and i suppose i overlook the albums i have no interest in. i also feel like the argento debacle with WW quickly announcing and releasing their albums after DW announced theirs seemed like a shitty thing to do (though i did buy tenebrae). i remember reading DW ended up shelving that release after putting time/money into it.
By ScoJo
There was clearly some shady biz going on regarding the Argentos... but the finger can most likely be pointed at Italian rights holders pulling fast one/witholding info from each label on that one?
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:25 am There was clearly some shady biz going on regarding the Argentos... but the finger can most likely be pointed at Italian rights holders pulling fast one/witholding info from each label on that one?
Yup. Outside of some kind of shitty business descisions I feel like both DW and WW didn't know they were both sold the rights. This happens in the film side of the business often. Just last year Arrow Video had made a beautiful Django bluray, restored from the OCN and two weeks before release they were forced to cancel the order and pull back as many copies as they could from distro. A few lucky people managed to get a copy of it due to early shipping but those blurays are sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Meanwhile Bill Lustig now has the rights again in the US so we will be getting a Blue Underground LE bluray at some point next year most likely. Two Evil Eyes was announced by Scorpion Releasing two years ago as a new blu with a fresh scan and it just dropped off the map, Walt never mentioned it again and just a few weeks ago Blue Underground announced their LE coming in October. Italian rights a mess.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:14 pm
ScoJo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:25 am There was clearly some shady biz going on regarding the Argentos... but the finger can most likely be pointed at Italian rights holders pulling fast one/witholding info from each label on that one?
Yup. Outside of some kind of shitty business descisions I feel like both DW and WW didn't know they were both sold the rights. This happens in the film side of the business often. Just last year Arrow Video had made a beautiful Django bluray, restored from the OCN and two weeks before release they were forced to cancel the order and pull back as many copies as they could from distro. A few lucky people managed to get a copy of it due to early shipping but those blurays are sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Meanwhile Bill Lustig now has the rights again in the US so we will be getting a Blue Underground LE bluray at some point next year most likely. Two Evil Eyes was announced by Scorpion Releasing two years ago as a new blu with a fresh scan and it just dropped off the map, Walt never mentioned it again and just a few weeks ago Blue Underground announced their LE coming in October. Italian rights a mess.
Wait...I have that Django release...which i'm now going to put in a safe haha. had no idea how fortunate i was until just now.
By inksb
You are one of a few very lucky people! I'm a little jealous but it's my fault for not pre-ordering it. Although with BU recent 4K scans I think their's will be pretty good. Zombie, NY Ripper and Maniac all look fantastic and the best they ever have.
By NathanLurker
Waxwork announces details for the release of the soundtrack to 'US' and while I think it's a great packaging design, I also think that this gimmick of cutting through the pakaging to reveal details is not my thing. I don't fear manipulating my records. I play them, I don't leave them sealed, I don't need perfect mint condition on things I own. But still, I don't like having to destroy thing from the package anyway. You will understand that I did open my Fight Club soundtrack from mondo by ungluing the flap, not by ripping as instructed.

So I'm impressed and annoyed at the same time.

Also, these gimmicks, as much as I enjoy them...if they're jacking up the price, I'd rather do without. Curious to see if this is gonna be a 40$USD release like the Rob Zombie soundtracks. Cause the rise in prices and shipping cost is breaking my buying habit. I wish they'd offer good deal on the distribution market, cause local store can't get a better price, really. Whichever source I buy a Waxwork Titles from, they are expensive.
By skeletonbutt
the fight club packaging was a clever gimmick and fit with the movie. i haven't seen us, but does the gimmick also tie in with the movie?

here's a copy and paste of the text:
Get ready to break out your scissors. You'll need them to explore the hidden features of this soundtrack package!

This week we are honored to present Us Original Motion Picture Soundtrack featuring complete score by Michael Abels. This deluxe vinyl release marks our third collaboration with our close partners at Monkeypaw Productions and Back Lot Music that began with 2017's Get Out followed with 2018's BlacKkKlansman.

Us will be available this Friday, August 23rd at 11:00AM CST via waxworkrecords.com

Us, released in March 2019, is an original nightmare written, directed and produced by Academy Award®-winning visionary Jordan Peele (Get Out). Set in present day Santa Cruz on the iconic Northern California coastline, the film, starring Oscar® winner Lupita Nyong’o and Black Panther’s Winston Duke, pits an ordinary American family against a terrifying and uncanny opponent: doppelgängers of themselves.

Waxwork Records is thrilled to present the official soundtrack and score as a deluxe double LP featuring 180 gram "Metallic Brass Scissors” colored vinyl for disc one, and “Tethered Red Jumpsuit” colored vinyl for disc two. The album artwork was created by illustrator Edward Kinsella. The interactive packaging includes die-cut inner gatefold jackets that require customers to use scissors to cut through family-member portraits to reveal their tethered doppelgängers lurking in the shadows on the printed inner sleeves housed within. More features include a die-cut mirror board back cover, a heavyweight 11”x11” art print, and an exclusive essay by UCLA Professor, scholar, and activist Shana L. Redmond Ph.D, author of Anthem: Social Movements and the Sound of Solidarity in the African Diaspora.

*Scissors not included
all that text and only one mention of the composer and no information about the music. but with a full paragraph about how awesome the package is, perhaps the music secondary.
By inksb
Yeah the gimmick ties in with the film just fine, I just don't like that idea all though. Then again the score wasn't something that screamed "you need to buy this on vinyl when it comes out!" either. Hard pass :)

I do recommend watching the film, it feels like a big budget Twilight Zone episode, in a good way.
By Revolver_OcelScott
Wasn't Waxwork supposed to be doing more Argento releases? And whatever happened the the Dawn of the Dead "incidental music" release. I have the Trunk records version, but I was interested to see what theirs was and haven't heard anything since Dawn was released.
By Hatter313
havershaw wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:15 pm I’ve never really understood where the idea that Waxwork was doing a Dawn library music came from.
Kevin mentioned it at some point, maybe the MondoCon panel in 2017?
By Occhionero
skeletonbutt wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:56 pm

all that text and only one mention of the composer and no information about the music. but with a full paragraph about how awesome the package is, perhaps the music secondary.
They released a few records where you really have to search who is the composer. I think that’s a lack of appreciation. Isn’t it about the music in first?

That, but more the rising prices and the way they (non) communicate with the customers brings a bad taste for me. I am not sure if they make more profit the next years with that strategy. Really will think twice for a renewal subscription. At least they reacted today with an apology mail....
By havershaw
@OcelScott, thanks for that.

2 years ago, though, damn. Wonder if it’s ever going to happen?

I have to say, having spun my Waxwork NOTLD repeatedly, along with original Hi-Q vinyl...man, I don’t love that Waxwork mastering. It’s so much punchier and vibrant on the Hi-Q releases, it’s crazy.
By Mateo Sanboval
I honestly don't remember that score. I'll try to refresh my memory soon.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:08 pm
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:48 pm Love the packaging for part 6
I really enjoy the cover art. Ghoulish Gary did the artwork and his style lends itself well to the series.
Gary's stuff is always great, one of the highlights this weekend is going to be stopping by his booth and chatting with him for a bit before i inevitably buy a bunch of stuff from his wall. SUCH a chill guy, and such an amazing artist. I bought an original sketch from him at the show a few years ago and its always a pleasure to see him and what he's brought.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:17 pm
inksb wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:08 pm
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:48 pm Love the packaging for part 6
I really enjoy the cover art. Ghoulish Gary did the artwork and his style lends itself well to the series.
Gary's stuff is always great, one of the highlights this weekend is going to be stopping by his booth and chatting with him for a bit before i inevitably buy a bunch of stuff from his wall. SUCH a chill guy, and such an amazing artist. I bought an original sketch from him at the show a few years ago and its always a pleasure to see him and what he's brought.
He definitely seems like a nice guy from the interactions I've seen with him on various social media. I fear the amount of money I will spend if I do attend Mondocon next year...
By Hatter313
Yeah, start making peace with that now. I’m sitting on the tarmac waiting to take off and mentally calculating what kind of budget I’m reasonably playing with.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:00 pm Yeah, start making peace with that now. I’m sitting on the tarmac waiting to take off and mentally calculating what kind of budget I’m reasonably playing with.
Safe travels, Hatter!
By havershaw
i wonder why Waxwork are being so coy about the timing on this? A million people have asked what time these go on sale and Waxwork has ignored all of them. Weird.