Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By nitzschemorricone
Amazing--and fast--work, ScoJo! Thank you. I'm inclined to think that the disco track is by Nitzsche, though I suppose it could be a pre-existing library track.

The way Jack integrates "Precious Memories" into his score is gorgeous and quite haunting, not unlike what he did with "Stand By Me" in the film of the same name.

The "snuff film" music is reminiscent of the mariachi music that Jack did for CUTTER'S WAY a couple years later, so it could be him as well.

Jill Fraser is actually given a co-composing credit with Jack on PERSONAL BEST. A fair portion of the music in PB--a personal favorite film of mine--is culled from the ST. GILES CRIPPLEGATE and the self-titled LPs. There, however, remains music in PB that has not been released outside of the film.

As with CRUISING, Jack and his director, in this case Robert Towne, have deftly mixed original score with well-curated pop songs of the era.

A few years ago, I edited the pre-existing tracks and re-cut them, as they appeared in PB. If interested in a copy, PM me.
ScoJo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:06 pm I'm deep into the Hardcore OST project. Have ripped the mono isolated score from the bluray, and have been editing and sequencing the Nitzsche score cues as well as various other music cues which may be his, as well as others which def are not. Also sourced all the music tracks crediting as appearing in the film.

Going to press on with some NR and basic EQing of the Nitzsche cues, there's around 20minutes or so I think- some really fantastic stuff, very much in keeping with his other work around that time on Cutter's Way and Cruising, with really interesting synth/electronics (the films crawl credits Jill Fraser and Rob Miller for 'Electronic Music').

I estimate the full soundtrack will run to around 45mins, so with that in mind I'm compelled to resurrect my ScoJo Handmades for one last run- I'll make a small amount of CDs in mini-dvd style case with my own sleeve art, I'll let you all know when it's done if anyone wants one ;)
Last edited by nitzschemorricone on Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ScoJo
maxlevel wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:28 pm @scojo I just got a box of That’s VX which needs something special on!
That's cool - funnily enough, I was thinking that this really needs to be on K7 but I currently have no record deck. We should 'talk' ;)
By ScoJo
nitzschemorricone wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:43 pm Amazing--and fast--work, ScoJo! Thank you. I'm inclined to think that the disco track is by Nitzsche, though I suppose it could be a pre-existing library track.

The way Jack integrates "Precious Memories" into his score is gorgeous and quite haunting, not unlike what he did with "Stand By Me" in the film of the same name.

The "snuff film" music is reminiscent of the mariachi music that Jack did for CUTTER'S WAY a couple years later, so it could be him as well.

Jill Fraser is actually given a co-composing credit with Jack on PERSONAL BEST. A fair portion of the music in PB--a personal favorite film of mine--is culled from the ST. GILES CRIPPLEGATE and the self-titled LPs. There, however, remains music in PB that has not been released outside of the film.

As with CRUISING, Jack and his director, in this case Robert Towne, have deftly mixed original score with well-curated pop songs of the era.

A few years ago, I edited the pre-existing tracks and re-cut them, as they appeared in PB. If interested in a copy, PM me.
ScoJo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:06 pm I'm deep into the Hardcore OST project. Have ripped the mono isolated score from the bluray, and have been editing and sequencing the Nitzsche score cues as well as various other music cues which may be his, as well as others which def are not. Also sourced all the music tracks crediting as appearing in the film.

Going to press on with some NR and basic EQing of the Nitzsche cues, there's around 20minutes or so I think- some really fantastic stuff, very much in keeping with his other work around that time on Cutter's Way and Cruising, with really interesting synth/electronics (the films crawl credits Jill Fraser and Rob Miller for 'Electronic Music').

I estimate the full soundtrack will run to around 45mins, so with that in mind I'm compelled to resurrect my ScoJo Handmades for one last run- I'll make a small amount of CDs in mini-dvd style case with my own sleeve art, I'll let you all know when it's done if anyone wants one ;)
@NM - I have 1x CD not yet spoken for, if you'd like it. Just PM me - and yes, I would definitely love to have a copy of your PB thanks :)
By Bezulsqy
new and upcoming Waxwork releases:

- Her Smell:
The panic attack inducing film score double LP by @keegandewitt with a bonus 7” soundtrack will be available for pre-order next week! The score is unlike anything we have ever heard or experienced. Album package reveal forthcoming!
- Child's Play (2019)
@bearmccreary A sneak peek inside the lab, where I’m creating my latest musical monstrosity. Coming to theaters this June. #YourBestFriend #childsplay #chucky
- re-press Friday the 13th
By Bezulsqy
got this last week
Good morning and thank you for being a subscriber! This message is an update about your 2019 Subscription. We are reaching out to inform you about the current production delay we have experienced. Waxwork usually begins sending out subscription items to members within the first quarter of each year. However, we are now at the tail end of April and must apologize for the crazy delay. We have experienced big pressing delays on multiple titles. This shows that vinyl sales and pressing plant orders are thriving and growing yearly, but it hurts the customer when a vinyl pressing plant has a big delay.
Other delays have been related to quality. Customer satisfaction and quality pressings are priority for Waxwork. We are committed to creating and releasing only the highest quality and deluxe soundtrack albums available anywhere. If test pressings come in and are not up to our standard, we immediately re-press and continue to do so until they are perfect. In short, the Subscription delay we have experienced this year is a result of those two things: plant delays and quality control.
The good news is that we will begin blasting out multiple Subscription items including soundtracks beginning in May. First up is Bride Of Re-Animator followed by Don't Go In The House soon after. Both titles have never been released on vinyl, and you'll be the first ever to receive them! Thanks again for subscribing and supporting what we do!
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:19 pm Who did the score to Bride of Re-Animator? I for the life of me can not remember anything about that score.
It's Band also, its basically a synthier version of the original, with maybe some new themes sprinkled throughout. its got that tinny, cheap and cheesy late 80's early 90's synth sound that i don't really love, weird pad effects and the loathsome "synth horn" (honestly sometimes i feel like it comes off like a midi cover of the original score) but it has its moments.
By ScoJo
"Who knows what synth/MIDI lurks in the heart of horn.... Static knows!"

Yup. Weirdest thing after a few plays though- I'd miss it if it wasn't there now ;)

I can honestly forgive quite a bit in terms of iffy production/instrumentation, if someone knows their way around a tune.
Last edited by ScoJo on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Hatter313
oh i actually like it a lot, i think i just dig the style. I like the composition, i like the oversaturated green, and i really like the sort of old pulp illustration feel of the gatefold. to each their own, but i dig it.
By inksb
I like the concept they were going for with the Bride artwork, I just don't think it actually looks good, the smaller elements are all cool, but as one image, they don't come together for me.

Waxwork just announced House of 1000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects and 3 From Hell. I do not like the art style they went with, the artwork is fine, it's well done, it's the same guy as the Vice Principals but it just doesn't convey the feeling of those films to me. I may pick them up though. I just wish they were not $40 for a double LP.
Attachments
3 from hell.png
3 from hell.png (1.53 MiB) Viewed 4584 times
devils.png
devils.png (1.49 MiB) Viewed 4584 times
house1000.png
house1000.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 4584 times
By Bezulsqy
I remember loving a House 1000 Corpses. Both the movie and the soundtrack. I agree with this artwork. I do not like it.
Strange they took down everything related to 3 from Hell.
I might pick these up eventually during a Waxwork sale. However, they are not very high on my Waxwork want list when I do feel the urge to have a complete Waxwork collection.
By inksb
I adore House of 1000 Corpses, it's a film that I won't argue with you if you think it's trash but as a big Hooper fan that makes my love for this film even bigger. I really hope someday the lost footage is restored and released. I read recently that the footage was discovered and sent to Rob, whether he does anything with it is another story as it is only VHS quality. The Devil's Rejects is a fantastic film and I will argue with you if you don't like ;)

I have high hopes for the 3rd one.

Funny story about House of 1000 Corpses, I was dating a girl at the time who was your typical only watch rom coms and sad dramas, go to church every sunday, country living girl. I was young and stupid, she was pretty which was about the only reason I was dating her. I thought it would be a good idea to take her to House of 1000 Corpses opening night, I still stand by it being a good idea. It made her so uncomfortable and she was so upset with me afterwards I couldn't help but find humor in it. She was so bothered by the silent drawn out execution scene that she yelled at the screen in the theater because she couldn't take the tension. The memory still brings me joy to this day.
By NathanLurker
I've never seen those movies, never felt compelled to check them out, probably because I was disappointed with The Lords of Salem. I've been a Waxwork completist until recently, but I really can't keep up anymore, I've missed out on Beetlejuice 'cause I've got the Geffen repress from 2015 and I can't find Waxwork's edition below 60$Cad. I can't really justify to buy it again at that price.

They released The House with a Clock in it's Walls and I have zero interest in that, 'cause it's the kind of title like their Goosebumps release that I'll spin once and never go back to. And then these 40$ pressing of the Rob Zombie movie, they're gonna end up costing me 60 to 70$Cad all in all. I think I'll pass for now.

What happenned to the times I could get a Waxwork record for less that 45$cad ?

Still love them though.
By Bezulsqy
@Inksb: great story! Need to revisit those movies. Has been too long.

@Nathan. I agree with you. I wanted to be a completist with Waxwork/DWRC/OWS but when you see so many other labels releasing great stuff (Four Flies/Terrorvision) and a whole back catalogue and Japanese releases it is so hard to keep up.
Also my want list grows and grows as I get to know more movies and scores.

Has anyone seen or heard something about the new Child's Play? When I went to see John Wick 3 they played the trailer for Child's Play. I was not impressed.
By NathanLurker
McCreary has done good in the past, I think at least his score must be worth a listen. Dunno about the movie though. I'd probably watch it on streaming or something, without much expectation. Chucky has never really been a favorite slasher for me, even though I think the originals are pertty good. It's a bit weird that Waxwork are not announcing titles in advance, they're just putting them on sale with no heads up. no time to budget.
By inksb
I've been seeing pretty positive stuff about the new Child's Play. I really don't care much about the Chucky franchise, I usually watch the new films when they come out on home video or streaming. I'm not really behind the idea of the new one because it's just a studio trying to capitalize on a franchise they own the name of but not the title character, Don Mancini still owns the rights to Chucky which is why he's still making Chucky films.