Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By nitzschemorricone
Indeed the end credits sound design is a great example of the multi-layered approach...there is the Gismonti track, chains sound f/x, footsteps f/x, and—I think—the aforementioned Nitzsche glass.

Re: HARDCORE score...it can be extracted (isolated) from the Twilight Time Blu-ray release of the film.
By ScoJo
nitzschemorricone wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:03 am Indeed the end credits sound design is a great example of the multi-layered approach...there is the Gismonti track, chains sound f/x, footsteps f/x, and—I think—the aforementioned Nitzsche glass.

Re: HARDCORE score...it can be extracted (isolated) from the Twilight Time Blu-ray release of the film.
Woah. And I'm just finding out about/watching the 20min extract on Vimeo of the 'upcoming feature documentary about JN'... that's an extra on the TT bluray! Amazing stuff. Any idea if that full doc was ever finished/released?

https://vimeo.com/207866896

Btw have you ripped the score from the blu ray @NM? I'd do so myself but no longer have blu ray player... or do you know of anyone who has done so/posted it up somewhere?
Last edited by ScoJo on Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Mateo Sanboval
Whoa. This thread got interesting again, eh? Welcome aboard the pirate ship, Nitzschemorricone.
By ScoJo
Right?

This release has been a real rollercoaster of emotion, but finally starting to feel like I'm stepping off the ride and heading out to score some candy floss.

My copy is still en route, and I fully imagine it will be held hostage by Her Majesty's Custom and Excise nogoodniks when it does disembark here, but couldn't be more thrilled to continue this investigation myself into those mysterious instrumental sides. Just hearing someone else confirming my theory that Phillips and Gismonti contributed original tracks to the film (mentioned nowhere by WW/Friedkin) means the whole 'complete score' thing make sooo much more sense. Praise be!
By Bezulsqy
I have not yet seen Cruising, nor have I heard one bit of the score. I am waiting for the Blu Ray this year to watch it. And the score is on its way.
I have no idea what you guys are talking about but it is a very interesting read!

@nitzschemorricone: welcome! And this will probably be the last time I will write that name in full :-)
By skeletonbutt
nitzschemorricone wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:33 amWhat they did, though, really works effectively within the film, to achieve an often subjective soundscape, getting inside the head of Pacino’s character, in particular, in the scenes where he’s really struggling with his dual existence in Karen Allen’s bed and the s & m night clubs.
i've always wondered why the music changes from the pleasant guitar to something dark and ominous sounding when she mentions his father in bed. what's up with his dad? is his dad also the father who materializes in the park, making the guy he meets in the park at the end his brother? we need a prequel/answers.
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:39 am I have not yet seen Cruising, nor have I heard one bit of the score. I am waiting for the Blu Ray this year to watch it. And the score is on its way.
I have no idea what you guys are talking about but it is a very interesting read!
you're in for a treat! cruising is a puzzle that i try to figure out each time i watch it but never do. it's infinitely rewatchable and the soundtrack is varied and wonderful.
By nitzschemorricone
skeletonbutt wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:33 am i've always wondered why the music changes from the pleasant guitar to something dark and ominous sounding when she mentions his father in bed. what's up with his dad? is his dad also the father who materializes in the park, making the guy he meets in the park at the end his brother? we need a prequel/answers.
Haha, no, I don’t believe Friedkin meant anything to be quite so literal. His seeming to tighten up (along with the change in music) at the mention of his father, is suggestive of the idea that he may have a problematic relationship with his father, or at least a complex one. A not uncommon occurrence, of course.

At any rate, in the film, there seems to be a repeated motif of sons with “daddy issues” and a variety of imperfect father / mentor / authority figure dynamics.

Please, no prequel. 😉
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:39 am I have not yet seen Cruising, nor have I heard one bit of the score. I am waiting for the Blu Ray this year to watch it. And the score is on its way.

@nitzschemorricone: welcome! And this will probably be the last time I will write that name in full :-)
Same. This fascinating to read and I'm extremely excited to finally see the film when it does come out from Arrow.
By skeletonbutt
nitzschemorricone wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:40 pm
skeletonbutt wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:33 am i've always wondered why the music changes from the pleasant guitar to something dark and ominous sounding when she mentions his father in bed. what's up with his dad? is his dad also the father who materializes in the park, making the guy he meets in the park at the end his brother? we need a prequel/answers.
Haha, no, I don’t believe Friedkin meant anything to be quite so literal. His seeming to tighten up (along with the change in music) at the mention of his father, is suggestive of the idea that he may have a problematic relationship with his father, or at least a complex one. A not uncommon occurrence, of course.

At any rate, in the film, there seems to be a repeated motif of sons with “daddy issues” and a variety of imperfect father / mentor / authority figure dynamics.

Please, no prequel. 😉
haha, i don't want a prequel nor do i want everything to be explained. i like how strange and dark the movie is and how it leaves a lot of unanswered questions about...basically everything.
By ScoJo
I'm on a mission.

After discovering that the Twilight Time/Indicator Blurays of HARDCORE feature an Isolated Score track with Nitzsche's music, and failing to find anyone who has already done it, I've purchased the BR and plan to rip the score and sequence it. DM me if this is something that interests you ;)

Here's the briefest of samples of the goodness, in case you're unfamiliar with this amazing score! (The first is a small excerpt ripped from the blu, the second is an older rip taken from the DVD I believe...)

http://www.danemcmaster.com/blog/2017/5 ... soundtrack
By Bezulsqy
Chuggers wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:00 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:52 pm Still waiting for my Cruising copy... Shipped on March 11.

What is up with the #petsematary tag under their Starry Eyes IG post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvmSg6lBeba/
Same directors, probably same composer, probably releasing the ost as well later this year.....
Aha. There is a new Pet Sematary... I did not know that. Thanks @Chuggers!
By ScoJo
I'm deep into the Hardcore OST project. Have ripped the mono isolated score from the bluray, and have been editing and sequencing the Nitzsche score cues as well as various other music cues which may be his, as well as others which def are not. Also sourced all the music tracks crediting as appearing in the film.

Going to press on with some NR and basic EQing of the Nitzsche cues, there's around 20minutes or so I think- some really fantastic stuff, very much in keeping with his other work around that time on Cutter's Way and Cruising, with really interesting synth/electronics (the films crawl credits Jill Fraser and Rob Miller for 'Electronic Music').

I estimate the full soundtrack will run to around 45mins, so with that in mind I'm compelled to resurrect my ScoJo Handmades for one last run- I'll make a small amount of CDs in mini-dvd style case with my own sleeve art, I'll let you all know when it's done if anyone wants one ;)
By deafmetal
ScoJo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:06 pmI estimate the full soundtrack will run to around 45mins, so with that in mind I'm compelled to resurrect my ScoJo Handmades for one last run- I'll make a small amount of CDs in mini-dvd style case with my own sleeve art, I'll let you all know when it's done if anyone wants one ;)
Scott, sign me up!
By maxlevel
deafmetal wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:53 pm
ScoJo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:06 pmI estimate the full soundtrack will run to around 45mins, so with that in mind I'm compelled to resurrect my ScoJo Handmades for one last run- I'll make a small amount of CDs in mini-dvd style case with my own sleeve art, I'll let you all know when it's done if anyone wants one ;)
Scott, sign me up!
Yes me also
By ScoJo
@bez
@lazyben
@max
@deaf
@mateo
@static

Cool cool... I've burned 8x CDs of this one, and realised I'm short of mini-dvd slim cases so just ordered some. I can no longer print direct-to-disc which is a shame, but have also ordered some CD labels. As these can sometimes cause issue with playback depending on what the disc is played on, going to also include 'download code' just in case ;)

This handmade has turned out to be pretty great- there is around 25min of Nitzsche score which is awesome stuff- have been humming the main theme for days. Couple of incredible long tracks that blend raucous slide guitar work with punishing electronics. And an epic slice of symphonic disco sleaze which may or may not be Nitzsche, I haven't been able to source info on that one. Along with a set of songs featured in the film, it runs to 45min and I'm pretty chuffed with how it runs as a listen. Probably my best handmade yet, and certainly took the most work to get right. More soon once the supplies arrive, shouldn't be too long.
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:32 am Cool cool... I've burned 8x CDs of this one, and realised I'm short of mini-dvd slim cases so just ordered some. I can no longer print direct-to-disc which is a shame, but have also ordered some CD labels. As these can sometimes cause issue with playback depending on what the disc is played on, going to also include 'download code' just in case ;)

This handmade has turned out to be pretty great- there is around 25min of Nitzsche score which is awesome stuff- have been humming the main theme for days. Couple of incredible long tracks that blend raucous slide guitar work with punishing electronics. And an epic slice of symphonic disco sleaze which may or may not be Nitzsche, I haven't been able to source info on that one. Along with a set of songs featured in the film, it runs to 45min and I'm pretty chuffed with how it runs as a listen. Probably my best handmade yet, and certainly took the most work to get right. More soon once the supplies arrive, shouldn't be too long.
Thanks! This sounds brilliant!