Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
I'm kind of amazed how bad Killer Klowns is. I picked up Reddye's copy from him. Side A-C are listenable but holy hell is Side D atrocious. The moment you drop the needle there's a dragging hiss in the right channel through out most of the side, that's ignoring the surface noise and pops that also come out through the side. And this is worse on the replacement copy they sent.
By static14
remember when they touted they would be doing half speed mastering and releasing "audiophile" grade albums etc. Such a joke.
By inksb
static14 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:54 pm remember when they touted they would be doing half speed mastering and releasing "audiophile" grade albums etc. Such a joke.
Didn't they also claim at one point they would be doing mofi inners for every release? and now it's just regular old paper
By ScoJo
Not to pile on (hahaha) but do you also remember when they made a huuuuge thing about stating that they thought pre-orders sucked, and they wouldn't be doing them from now on? Rrrrright.
By reddye6
Today will be an interesting Waxwork day for me. About a month or so ago, I posted that my Sacred Bones exclusive variant of Waxwork’s Candyman sounded bad. A few weeks ago, I was told my replacement would be shipping soon; Sacred Bones said that they were listening to copies before sending them out. My replacement arrives today. It will be interesting to see what I get.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:01 pm
static14 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:54 pm remember when they touted they would be doing half speed mastering and releasing "audiophile" grade albums etc. Such a joke.
Didn't they also claim at one point they would be doing mofi inners for every release? and now it's just regular old paper
I’ve gotten mo-fi sleeves added in with every order lately, and my killer klowns (which I haven’t listened to yet) had them already. So I can say I at least saw that followed through.

Although Mo-fi may not be a desired partner these days so who knows, sleeves are good though.
By reddye6
I got my Candyman replacement vinyl: the two albums minus the original outer sleeve. Put them on - they sound just as shit as my original copies!

They could have done a 2-minute needle drop to hear that they were sending something just bad. Why waste my time and theirs?
By inksb
reddye6 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:17 pm I got my Candyman replacement vinyl: the two albums minus the original outer sleeve. Put them on - they sound just as shit as my original copies!

They could have done a 2-minute needle drop to hear that they were sending something just bad. Why waste my time and theirs?
That's so disappointing. I think a lot of these companies need to actually hire some one who knows what to listen to on test pressings. And also the actual product when they receive it, if it's bad and the TP doesn't reflect that then it should fall back on the pressing plant to remedy the issue. Although with the amount of stress and backup at the plants they probably just say take it or leave, we don't care.
By Hatter313
havershaw wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:00 pm Weird. My Killer Klowns didn’t have the MoFi sleeves at all - just regular old black paper sleeves.
Ugh, now that inconsistency really burns me. The funny thing when they were just sending them as extras I would just use them for other records and leave the WW in the plain black ones.
By ScoJo
*live feed from Bergeron's crib*

drugs-fresh.gif
drugs-fresh.gif (2.21 MiB) Viewed 1089 times

Their product is , like, stepped on at least three times. And the price go up n up. Yet the street she eats it up mang, cuz it's bright blue n shit.
By reddye6
And it comes with a card that says who packaged your order, which people now collect.
By tim28212
It has to be something I really want these days for me to order from WW (or Mondo for that matter). Especially a pre-order. If I do want something I usually wait till it ships and look at reviews. KK and Candyman weren't high on my want list but had possibilities till the reviews started rolling in on how noisy they were. Easy pass. I'm interested in Curtains but again, I'm waiting on reviews. :)
By reddye6
tim28212 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:25 pm It has to be something I really want these days for me to order from WW (or Mondo for that matter). Especially a pre-order. If I do want something I usually wait till it ships and look at reviews. KK and Candyman weren't high on my want list but had possibilities till the reviews started rolling in on how noisy they were. Easy pass. I'm interested in Curtains but again, I'm waiting on reviews. :)
I've talked with one person on FB who has "Curtains," and he said that it sounded great to him with minimal surface noise (not sure how "minimal" it is, but at least it's a step in the right direction).
By NathanLurker
I don't know if you all saw but they announced that they are going to replace the copies of all subscribers' Killer Klowns because of the feedback. It seems that there was a wide portion of that pressing that was faulty with little bubbles etc. Retail copies are apparently fine (I don't have one to compare though). My sub copy was quite bad (warped and lots of distracting pops and clicks), I'm glad they listened to criticism and decided to do a new pressing for subscriber. It will be a different color. They will send only replacement discs, no jackets. So keep your jackets. They will email subscribers when it's ready (it will take time, obviously) to confirm shipping addresses.

Edit : ah, Inksb faster than me :P
By ScoJo
Surely it should say ‘minimal care will be taken to ensure that the records we ship are not unplayable’?

That ‘strap in for an endless wait’ thing for a replacement faulty LP is such a naus btw - they must have such a crappy relationship with their supplier. You see many cases where a plant give high priority to represses for labels, once theyve accepted fault. Do WW not have any leverage at this point?
By NathanLurker
ScoJo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:51 pm Surely it should say ‘minimal care will be taken to ensure that the records we ship are not unplayable’?

That ‘strap in for an endless wait’ thing for a replacement faulty LP is such a naus btw - they must have such a crappy relationship with their supplier. You see many cases where a plant give high priority to represses for labels, once theyve accepted fault. Do WW not have any leverage at this point?
So, generally speaking, leaving aside Waxwork records for a moment, one thing I was wondering a bit earlier, is how easy or difficult it is to deal with pressing plants. I wonder if most labels are given very little power if they want to hold their place in line and ensure they can keep producing their releases. I wonder if pressing plants have very strict criteria for accepting the blame in a faulty pressing or instead just saying ''well, tha't s a flawed medium, the pressing is considered acceptable''. The pressing plants certainly won't lack projects to press, so I wonder how much leverage labels have to ensure they're given a quality product from the plant.
By reddye6
Hey, Inksb, interested in the new vinyl I'll be getting?

Funny reading the comments on the FB post, with a few commenters praising WW and writing that they didn't have to do this. Blows my mind a little -- they're saying that WW doesn't need to make right when they send out a shitty-sounding product?

I did post in that FB thread if they'll be doing the same thing for the Sacred Bones Candyman exclusive. No response yet.
By ScoJo
Well I can only be specific tbh - WW use GZ in Czechia and I’ve used them in the past (admittedly before the industry got itself into a big crunch). In the past, they accepted liability on pressings that were clearly faulty (ie bubbles in pressing, warped, crackly) and fast tracked replacement. I can only imagine that the current situation at plants is that they are so oversubscribed there is only so much priority they can offer for replacement represses. But you would think WW put enough volume business through that they could pressure them to make right asap if they really wanted to. Dunno, just wondering aloud. Seems shitty that people with useless records might wait up to a year to get a replacement (which is how I interpret WWs marketing speak in that statement, full of ‘strap in for a wait’ ‘thanks for your loyalty’ etc etc)
By inksb
reddye6 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:08 pm Hey, Inksb, interested in the new vinyl I'll be getting?

Funny reading the comments on the FB post, with a few commenters praising WW and writing that they didn't have to do this. Blows my mind a little -- they're saying that WW doesn't need to make right when they send out a shitty-sounding product?

I did post in that FB thread if they'll be doing the same thing for the Sacred Bones Candyman exclusive. No response yet.
Lol, sure.

I firmly believe a very large portion of their clientele listen to this stuff on Crosley suitcase turntables so they wouldn't know if it actually sounded bad bc all of their shit sounds bad.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:41 pm
reddye6 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:08 pm Hey, Inksb, interested in the new vinyl I'll be getting?

Lol, sure.

I firmly believe a very large portion of their clientele listen to this stuff on Crosley suitcase turntables so they wouldn't know if it actually sounded bad bc all of their shit sounds bad.
👆🏼🥸