Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:22 pm
ScoJo wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:03 pm
334578rpm wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:43 am Kevin from WW teased a 28 days/weeks later set on Facebook.
That's.... weird. I know (for sure) that it's Enjoy The Ride who are doing it. Very odd.
Someone else releasing the same record has never stopped Waxwork.
Heh! ;-D

Speaking with my source, he reckons that ETR are doing one sided EP of 6 tracks of unreleased score cues from both 28 Days AND 28 Weeks. And it won't be branded as the music from either, weirdly!
Waxwork are doing reissue of the og 28 Days album, with songs plus 15 of the score cues. Fuck knows if WW are also doing 28wks Later in some form!
By 334578rpm
Sounds right. Here are the teases.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200322-091112.png
Screenshot_20200322-091112.png (768.09 KiB) Viewed 6427 times
Screenshot_20200322-090717.png
Screenshot_20200322-090717.png (2.22 MiB) Viewed 6427 times
By Revolver_OcelScott
jgibbs4053 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:45 am WW did a live Q&A yesterday and he said they were going to do more Argento films and making a slip case for the F13 albums
On the slipcase, Have they confirmed how many of the F13ths they are doing. Are they only doing 1-8? What about Hell and X. And I know Mondo/DW is doing Freddy vs Jason, so I figure that ones out.
By jgibbs4053
He didn’t say. I was a quick vid he did where he pretty much answered everyone’s questions. I think he said he might do again
By NathanLurker
Wasnt the only time that Waxwork released something that someone else was doing too that time they did the Argento soundtracks a the same time as Death Waltz ? I think the cause of the mix up was that they got the license from ams/cinevox/whatever and those licensors sold to both parties without them knowing ?

Other than that WW also release exclusive colors from sacred bones, but that's it. I think the argento fiasco was exceptional, I wouldn't expect WW to release anything that someone else is doing unless it's to get a variant color.
By skeletonbutt
NathanLurker wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:41 pm Wasnt the only time that Waxwork released something that someone else was doing too that time they did the Argento soundtracks a the same time as Death Waltz ? I think the cause of the mix up was that they got the license from ams/cinevox/whatever and those licensors sold to both parties without them knowing ?

Other than that WW also release exclusive colors from sacred bones, but that's it. I think the argento fiasco was exceptional, I wouldn't expect WW to release anything that someone else is doing unless it's to get a variant color.
Red Goblin wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:12 am Hi dear friends!
A few info....
Tenebre was printed a year ago and remained in the drawer due to the Waxwork release, published without AMS knowledge (and violating the exclusive license with Cinevox).
havershaw wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:47 pm Well, to be fair:

The fellow who assembled the NOTLD record that Waxwork released didn’t really do it for Waxwork. He did it for his own release and then Waxwork asked him to share.
He supplied them with the tracks and then they released them without paying for him anything and they also managed to misspell his name in the credits as well.

He does not look at it as a positive experience, I’m pretty sure.

I’m still glad there’s a NOTLD score out on vinyl that’s mostly complete, but I don’t think it was handled as well as it could be (mostly on WW’s part).

I think also some additional mastering was done by WW and I’m not sure it helped a ton.

This is part of why I’m on a mission to purchase and digitize all* of the Hi-Q stuff at a crazy high sample rate through a crazy expensive A to D converter. I would love for all of this stuff to be archived at the highest possible quality.

*at least the D Series, anyway
By NathanLurker
Well, yes. Tenebre. and also Profondo Rosso, which was also released by both WW and DW. Both part of that mix up with the licenses. It's all the same one fiasco with the Argento titles where they were doing all of them in one shot.

The NOTLD is a different thing. It looks like a worse thing. It sounds like theft of work. I wish I'd know more about what happened. How can someone work on developping a release, and get that work in the hands of a label, who then proceed to release that without the former person's consent ?
By havershaw
re: NOTLD - I don’t think it was released without his consent. I’d have to look back through our messages to see how he phrased it.
I just got the impression that he was initially happy to have been instrumental in that music seeing a much wider release - I can’t recall now. I’ve forgotten some of the details.
I know he was irritated to discover that the composer and track credits, which were meticulously researched by him and provided to Waxwork, were not even included in the release. He told me there was an insert supposed to be included with all of that, and I emailed WW and asked - they said if I have the subscriber variant (I do), it is indeed the intended insert (and there’s no composer credits on there).

I’m not sure how much he wants to say about it publicly, so I don’t want to say too much more on here.
By havershaw
I’ll also say, there are some seriously murky rights issues with NOTLD.
(I can’t recall if I’ve said this before on here, so apologies if I’m repeating myself.)
At the time Romero was putting NOTLD together, he had a really old set of reference discs for the Hi-Q library.
Some of the cues he used had already been removed from the library thanks to some rights disputes with their composers. Capitol still took the money for those cues (they didn’t have the rights to them, but Romero insisted he needed them, and as a result, at least some cues in the film are actually from Romero’s vinyl). But Capitol did tell him he had to get a new set of reference discs and he had to promise not to use the old ones anymore.

Cut to the Varèse release - the Hi-Q library, now owned by Ole Georg, still didn’t have ownership of certain tracks that were essential to Varèse’s release - so they literally just falsified some of the composer listings to avoid being sued by the composers who had removed their cues from the library.
I guess they figured, with the tracks being re-titled and the composers being changed, the odds of those composers (or their estates or reps) even realizing that Georg had taken money to license music he didn’t own were pretty slim.

Sorry for the novel. I love this library music drama!
By ScoJo
havershaw wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:58 pm I’ll also say, there are some seriously murky rights issues with NOTLD.
(I can’t recall if I’ve said this before on here, so apologies if I’m repeating myself.)
At the time Romero was putting NOTLD together, he had a really old set of reference discs for the Hi-Q library.
Some of the cues he used had already been removed from the library thanks to some rights disputes with their composers. Capitol still took the money for those cues (they didn’t have the rights to them, but Romero insisted he needed them, and as a result, at least some cues in the film are actually from Romero’s vinyl). But Capitol did tell him he had to get a new set of reference discs and he had to promise not to use the old ones anymore.

Cut to the Varèse release - the Hi-Q library, now owned by Ole Georg, still didn’t have ownership of certain tracks that were essential to Varèse’s release - so they literally just falsified some of the composer listings to avoid being sued by the composers who had removed their cues from the library.
I guess they figured, with the tracks being re-titled and the composers being changed, the odds of those composers (or their estates or reps) even realizing that Georg had taken money to license music he didn’t own were pretty slim.

Sorry for the novel. I love this library music drama!
You have indeed laid this out for us before @hs, but it such a dynamite tale that it's just fine by me.

Beyond the drama, though- my takeaway is this: the very same year that Kubrick was being reverantly discussed for his revolutionary source-LP needle drops on 2001, Romero was doing exactly the same thing in Pittsburgh! And to just as iconic effect, yet with 'lowly' library cues/no Karajan ;)
By havershaw
ahhh, sorry for the repeat story, all!

I also want to say that Romero’s use of library music in NOTLD is amazing, but his use of it in Creepshow is just amazing to me. Still have a hard time believing the score wasn’t composed expressly for it.
Having heard a great deal of the original cues used, it’s fascinating to see how he used little pieces of different records, sometimes patching 2-3 pieces together and then merging it with Harrison’s original score - it’s jaw-dropping to me.

side note: I am still working on my Creepshow library music project - I’m 3-4 cues away from having it complete!
(But those last 3-4 are proving to be incredibly difficult to ID.)
By reddye6
havershaw wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:47 pm ahhh, sorry for the repeat story, all!

I also want to say that Romero’s use of library music in NOTLD is amazing, but his use of it in Creepshow is just amazing to me. Still have a hard time believing the score wasn’t composed expressly for it.
Having heard a great deal of the original cues used, it’s fascinating to see how he used little pieces of different records, sometimes patching 2-3 pieces together and then merging it with Harrison’s original score - it’s jaw-dropping to me.

side note: I am still working on my Creepshow library music project - I’m 3-4 cues away from having it complete!
(But those last 3-4 are proving to be incredibly difficult to ID.)
Are these cues different from what is already identified on the expanded CD release?
By havershaw
reddye6 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:55 pm Are these cues different from what is already identified on the expanded CD release?
Yes. The expanded CD release has 14 library cues on it.
But just to break it down, here is how many cues are in each segment:

FATHER’S DAY - 10 cues
JORDY - 12 cues (and I’m still missing at least 3)
TIDE - 13 cues
THE CRATE - 5 cues
CREEPING - 5 cues

for a grand total of 48-ish cues! (I say “ish” because I’m not sure if my 3 missing cues are all part of the same cue or if they’re 3 different variation cues.)

The LaLaLand release is missing a lot of my very favorite pieces (all of Father’s Day except the disco song and a lot of the Tide stuff).
I mean, I’m glad it exists, but I needed to find all of this stuff (and I almost have)!
By jgibbs4053
WW just did another vid saying the are repressed the Thing and should be on sale in like 2 weeks. This version will have more art included and I think he said more music as well. Talked about albums having delays due to virus, they are releasing Carrie (OG), Sleepy Hollow, possibly the Frighteners, and Dawn of the Dead (library music). I asked about Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead things. He stated was enough for entire 12” so he passed but another label is putting that out possibly “reimaged”
By deafmetal
jgibbs4053 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:26 am WW just did another vid saying the are repressed the Thing and should be on sale in like 2 weeks. This version will have more art included and I think he said more music as well. Talked about albums having delays due to virus, they are releasing Carrie (OG), Sleepy Hollow, possibly the Frighteners, and Dawn of the Dead (library music). I asked about Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead things. He stated was enough for entire 12” so he passed but another label is putting that out possibly “reimaged”

@jibbs - this intel has my head spinning. Sleepy Hollow and The Frighteners are both unreleased Elfman OST's on vinyl, I believe. What's this about additional music for The Thing though? Somebody send up the Howarth batsignal. How does that happen without his involvement?
By Bezulsqy
we will know everything today and I am most curious about the pricing. 6LP with a lot of extra stuff. Has to be at least $100.

I actually only have seen Split (during I flight from Europe to the US) and I didn't care for it that much.
Attachments
Schermafbeelding 2020-06-26 om 11.57.04.png
Schermafbeelding 2020-06-26 om 11.57.04.png (463.34 KiB) Viewed 5640 times
By Revolver_OcelScott
Unbreakable has a fantastic soundtrack and is a great movie. Definitely recommend that one at the very least

Split is good, soundtrack is alright.
Glass about the same, fun to watch, nothing crazy, soundtrack is pretty good.
By inksb
Looks like WW are repressing Dawn of the Dead. They just posted pics of Dawn at a factory with the caption "Dawn approaches"
By Revolver_OcelScott
inksb wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:18 pm Looks like WW are repressing Dawn of the Dead. They just posted pics of Dawn at a factory with the caption "Dawn approaches"
Saw that. I was shocked how quickly the first press went and how long it took to repress. I was glad to have gotten the original pressing. Now we just need the 3LP Library Music set they've talked about in the past.
By ChrisMcQueen007
inksb wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:18 pm Looks like WW are repressing Dawn of the Dead. They just posted pics of Dawn at a factory with the caption "Dawn approaches"
Nice! If they manage to press enough so that they can get some to European distributors I‘ll gladly pick one up.
By inksb
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:59 am
Nice! If they manage to press enough so that they can get some to European distributors I‘ll gladly pick one up.
I missed it a few times now. The original release week and the few times they put extra stock up