Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:24 am
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:06 am
havershaw wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:47 pm Well, to be fair:

The fellow who assembled the NOTLD record that Waxwork released didn’t really do it for Waxwork. He did it for his own release and then Waxwork asked him to share.
He supplied them with the tracks and then they released them without paying for him anything and they also managed to misspell his name in the credits as well.

He does not look at it as a positive experience, I’m pretty sure.
Fuck those thin-skinned, money grubbing muppets right in their collective turkey purse. Full stop.
That's of course a way to put it.
It feels like WW is becoming some sort of evil corp in the way the go about stuff. Thinking of the AMS/Cinevox stuff, the above, and the feeling they delete/ignore critical remarks on social media. But is is easy to shout from the sideline. What do I know...
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:21 am
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:06 am

Fuck those thin-skinned, money grubbing muppets right in their collective turkey purse. Full stop.
It feels like WW is becoming some sort of evil corp in the way the go about stuff. Thinking of the AMS/Cinevox stuff, the above, and the feeling they delete/ignore critical remarks on social media. But is is easy to shout from the sideline. What do I know...
I think the issue is that they position themselves to be the premium horror movie soundtrack company, charge a premium and a certain section of the community agrees with this, yet they continue to prove that they don't really care about a lot of it. They do sketchy shit, don't credit musicians, ignore fan criticism, delete fans comments and just come off as a "fuck what ever you say we are the best and don't care" type of people. Of all the labels I have the least amount of WW records, not for a lack of content I want but due to price point and overall attitude from the company that just doesn't vibe with me. That's my personal take on it. Also there are a lot of other companies that would do a better job than them.
By skeletonbutt
inksb wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:42 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:21 am

I think the issue is that they position themselves to be the premium horror movie soundtrack company, charge a premium and a certain section of the community agrees with this, yet they continue to prove that they don't really care about a lot of it. They do sketchy shit, don't credit musicians, ignore fan criticism, delete fans comments and just come off as a "fuck what ever you say we are the best and don't care" type of people. Of all the labels I have the least amount of WW records, not for a lack of content I want but due to price point and overall attitude from the company that just doesn't vibe with me. That's my personal take on it. Also there are a lot of other companies that would do a better job than them.
there were also some issues with cruising (and manhunter too, i think?) where ww were marketing them as being complete for the first time ever, but they weren't complete, really.
By havershaw
I will say, they have always answered emails and been really friendly to me any time I reach out to them, and they’ve been awesome about replacing defective discs. FWIW.
By Bezulsqy
havershaw wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:42 am I will say, they have always answered emails and been really friendly to me any time I reach out to them, and they’ve been awesome about replacing defective discs. FWIW.
This also is true for me.
By BurningTapes
havershaw wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:25 pm oh, forgot to add:
I’m guessing that Ole Georg didn’t have the actual master tapes for any of the stuff he couldn’t legally license to VS, anyway. So maybe that stuff was sourced elsewhere.

My thing regarding the sound of the tapes vs the LPs is partially a theory.
But:
The original LPs would have been made off the original mix reels, I’m assuming (probably 1/2”) and all I know is there isn’t a drop of hiss on those LPs. They are dead quiet and they have terrific highs and lows, super punchy.

The tapes that are out there (used for some of this LP release) would be on 1/4” tape, recorded at 7 ips, which isn’t really ideal at all. They’re 2nd generation tape copies, done at a lower speed/quality. I would think the LPs would be much closer to the fidelity of the original mixes.
On top of which, the cues used from tape for the Waxwork release were done on a consumer reel to reel player, to an older DAT machine (thus using 90s era A to D built into the DAT recorders). The consumer reel to reel player was not calibrated or aligned specifically to the Hi-Q tapes, which is probably why they’re so hissy (he sent me a few samples of what he supplied Waxwork with, prior to him de-noising the tracks, and they are hissy as all hell).

A nice transfer off the LPs might need de-noised for surface noise/pops and clicks, but hiss wouldn’t be an issue at all, so the top end would automatically be better.

That having been said: we are all lucky that he did all this work. There’s not many people on the planet who are as knowledgeable about the Hi-Q library, and I’m certain no one knows the NOTLD cues better than him.

He did tell me that in retrospect, he should have had his reel to reel calibrated specifically for these tapes (and there are calibration tones at the top of each tape so it would have been possible).

As an analogue tape archiver / transfer engineer myself it is totally crazy not to line the machine up to the tape. It will sound total shite. Especially if there is Dolby noise reduction. You may as well rip from a CD dragged in mud. Haha.
By havershaw
I highly doubt they’d mess with the Creepshow library stuff. So if there were a Creepshow box set, what would it be? Film and new series?

I could see them doing a Night/Dawn/Day box set. Maybe Land too? That’s never been released on vinyl (and I have literally no idea what it sounds like cause I barely remember that movie).
By Bezulsqy
jgibbs4053 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:35 pm 4 new box sets lined up for 2020. Guessing F13, Creepshow, and a Romero one. Not sure what the 4th would be
One box could be for a completely new series... Box does not mean it has to be a lot titles. Could be 2 of 3 titles in one box. Very curious though as I love a box.
If they release a F13 box I might get it even though I will not get all the titles I still need this year.

And when WW announces 4 this year it probably will be only 2...
By NathanLurker
You could probably consider the deluxe ''THE THING'' to be a ''boxset'', so I'm not sure we can gather anything from that boxsets announcement yet. Waxwork have never done the Mondo/DW thing where a boxset is released and then you have to complete with multiple title (like they did with Halloween and Hellraiser). So I wouldn't expect them to do that with a F13 boxset. I'm thinking it's gonna be a already complete boxset. I could be wrong though.
By Chuggers
havershaw wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:12 pm I think the VS release sounds more like the original LPs, but the original LPs do sound better.

NOTLD score history is really complicated and I’ve learned a lot about it, but I’ve also forgotten a bit about it because the web is so tangled.

The Capitol Hi-Q library went through some legal tangles when a few of the composers tried to take some kind of legal action. I can’t recall the specifics. But basically, they won and succeeded in having a bunch of their cues removed from the Hi-Q library. As a result, the earlier pressings of the Hi-Q stuff have a good number of cues substituted with newer stuff.

Apparently, The Hi-Q LP set Romero had was an older one (as there are a decent number of cues in NOTLD that were removed as part of that lawsuit).
Capitol really didn’t have the rights to let him use those tracks, but apparently reluctantly licensed them to him anyway, and told him to not use the older discs anymore. I actually recall being told that at least some of the cues in the film are actually from the vinyl because Capitol no longer had them (or Romero got impatient and went ahead and cut them into the film from them).

Years later, Ole Georg became the controller of the Hi-Q library. When VS licensed the tracks from him, he didn’t have the right to license some of the tracks for a soundtrack release, but he went ahead and did it anyway, changing the composer credits for the songs he didn’t have the rights to license. I guess he figured no one would notice (and as far as I know, he wasn’t sued, so I guess no one did).

I can’t remember which tracks have the wrong credits, but at a glance at the LP, a bunch of those tracks were written by Phillip Green and there’s no mention of him on there at all.

Supposedly Waxwork added an insert to their NOTLD with the composer credits, but mine doesn’t have one and I’ve never seen one.
I went to check my copy to see if this insert you're referring to was included in the subscription copies that year....realized I still hadn't broken the seal on it. As shocked as I was, I still couldn't force myself to do it.
By havershaw
Yeah, I have the subscriber variant and there is an insert, but nothing with composer credits.

The fellow who helped with it was complaining to me “they forgot to put the insert with the composer credits in with the first bunch of copies” so I thought it was something they might have added.

But I emailed WW and asked and they said there’s only one insert, period. So I guess they didn’t have anything with composer credits.
By monsterworship
havershaw wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:30 pm Yeah, I have the subscriber variant and there is an insert, but nothing with composer credits.

The fellow who helped with it was complaining to me “they forgot to put the insert with the composer credits in with the first bunch of copies” so I thought it was something they might have added.

But I emailed WW and asked and they said there’s only one insert, period. So I guess they didn’t have anything with composer credits.
I originally bought NOTLD from Newbury Comics. The copy I received did not have an insert. I wrote to Waxwork asking if that version was supposed to come with an insert. They told me I needed to contact Newbury Comics to get an exchange or whatever. I did receive another copy after some hassle, and it did have an insert. So that probably explains that they forgot to include them in some.
By inksb
monsterworship wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:19 pm
havershaw wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:30 pm Yeah, I have the subscriber variant and there is an insert, but nothing with composer credits.

I originally bought NOTLD from Newbury Comics. The copy I received did not have an insert. I wrote to Waxwork asking if that version was supposed to come with an insert. They told me I needed to contact Newbury Comics to get an exchange or whatever. I did receive another copy after some hassle, and it did have an insert. So that probably explains that they forgot to include them in some.
quality customer service right there. Meanwhile I bought a used copy of Super Hang On before Data Discs repressed it, it was missing the obi strip. So I emailed them to see if I they had any spare ones around the office, they emailed me back same day saying they would ship me two (since it can be tough to put on and I might rip one) as long as I covered the shipping.
By CrossedPete
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:15 pm I decided to see if I can make a list for the coming year with all that is mentioned and teased. I guess some of the titles we will never see but they were announced a some point by Waxwork.

Crimson Peak (I don't think they will release this anymore)
House of Hayduk (Waxwork Original) (see comment above)

French Connection
Near Dark
Alice Sweet Alice
Thief
Prom Night
Friday the 13th: The Game
Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood (2xLP)
Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (2xLP)
Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer (LP)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Part II: The Secret Of The Ooze (LP)
Jacob's Ladder (LP)

shipping in January (confirmed in mail to 2019 subscribers):

Sorcerer - Tangerine Dream
Maniac - Dan Romer

not mentioned but guessed:
Frankenstein (1931) (because of Universal Monster Spinature of Frankenstein's Monster)

Most titles listed above were mentioned in 2018 or earlier. Am I right in thinking that 2019 hasn't been the best of years for Waxwork? Probably because of pressing/licensing issue as evident with the 2019 sub titles. I have a feeling they wanted to release more.

Also, as I am not on facebook or other social media I might have missed a lot of titles mentioned elsewhere. Please add if someone knows more...

And as a side note looking at their Discogs page: WW045 is missing, as is WW056 and WW057 (probably other AMS/Cinevox releases they are not releasing anymore?), and WW061, WW065, WW067, WW068, WW073-WW076 (last release is WW082 Child's Play - Bear McCreary)
I’m just curious why you don’t think they release crimson peak anymore? I know they teased it on Twitter a few years ago. Is there an issue?
By Bezulsqy
CrossedPete wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:01 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:15 pm I decided to see if I can make a list for the coming year with all that is mentioned and teased. I guess some of the titles we will never see but they were announced a some point by Waxwork.

French Connection
Near Dark
Alice Sweet Alice
Thief
Prom Night
Jacob's Ladder (LP)

Maniac - Dan Romer

Frankenstein (1931) (because of Universal Monster Spinature of Frankenstein's Monster)

Most titles listed above were mentioned in 2018 or earlier. Am I right in thinking that 2019 hasn't been the best of years for Waxwork? Probably because of pressing/licensing issue as evident with the 2019 sub titles. I have a feeling they wanted to release more.

Also, as I am not on facebook or other social media I might have missed a lot of titles mentioned elsewhere. Please add if someone knows more...

And as a side note looking at their Discogs page: WW045 is missing, as is WW056 and WW057 (probably other AMS/Cinevox releases they are not releasing anymore?), and WW061, WW065, WW067, WW068, WW073-WW076 (last release is WW082 Child's Play - Bear McCreary)
I’m just curious why you don’t think they release crimson peak anymore? I know they teased it on Twitter a few years ago. Is there an issue?
That is why I believe they won't release it anymore. It has been too long. Everyone forgot about the movie, so there is no urgency. Possibly their license has expired by now? But of course it is possible I am wrong and we will see this release from Waxwork.
There can be numerous issues why releases are delayed for years and years. But also why releases are cancelled completely,
I for instance am shocked that Mondo/DWRC cancelled their Stage Fright release because there was something wrong with the artwork. They even had test presses of that release...
By Bezulsqy
We can add this to the rest:

Color of Space (Colin Stetson)

French Connection
Near Dark
Alice Sweet Alice
Thief
Prom Night
Jacob's Ladder (LP)

Maniac - Dan Romer

By ScoJo
Curious to see what they have planned for Prom Night, since it was so recently released?

Similarly, Thief is an odd one since that was reissued in last couple of years- expanded then, I hope, along with Sorcerer and Near Dark.

Alice Sweet Alice (aka Communion) I am VERY excited about.
By havershaw
Oh I wanted to mention that LaLaLand has put out a CD of the actual original recording of Bride of Frankenstein, found on acetates one the composer’s archives. It’s not the whole score, it’s 40-some minutes of it.

But as Waxwork and LaLaLand have collaborated before (on Creepshow and Day of the Dead), I thought there was a good chance that their Frankenstein-related release might be Bride and not the original. (Both would be great!!)
By Hatter313
The release party of that bride CD was at a screening of the film near me that I was fortunate enough to attend. I asked the Lalaland rep if he knew of any forthcoming waxwork release as well and if I remember correctly he said he didn’t know of this one specifically, but that they do work with them a lot.

It’s awesome to have the original recordings available though in any format! I highly recommend this CD if it’s your bag
By CrossedPete
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:15 am We can add this to the rest:

Color of Space (Colin Stetson)

French Connection
Near Dark
Alice Sweet Alice
Thief
Prom Night
Jacob's Ladder (LP)

Maniac - Dan Romer

They teased Lords of Salem on that podcast interview they were promoting