Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By reddye6
So, I have a question about the coffee in the subscription. About a month ago, I got an Amazon package that contained a few pounds of coffee beans. It looked like it was from Waxworks, but it was a bit vague (the coffee wasn't branded). Fast-forward to yesterday, and I got a small bag of WW-branded coffee beans in the mail. Did other subscribers get two packages of coffee as well?

And I don't even like coffee.
By Mateo Sanboval
reddye6 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:26 pm So, I have a question about the coffee in the subscription. About a month ago, I got an Amazon package that contained a few pounds of coffee beans. It looked like it was from Waxworks, but it was a bit vague (the coffee wasn't branded). Fast-forward to yesterday, and I got a small bag of WW-branded coffee beans in the mail. Did other subscribers get two packages of coffee as well?

Dare I inquire, if it was unbranded, how did it "look like Waxworks"?
By reddye6
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:48 pm
reddye6 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:26 pm So, I have a question about the coffee in the subscription. About a month ago, I got an Amazon package that contained a few pounds of coffee beans. It looked like it was from Waxworks, but it was a bit vague (the coffee wasn't branded). Fast-forward to yesterday, and I got a small bag of WW-branded coffee beans in the mail. Did other subscribers get two packages of coffee as well?

Dare I inquire, if it was unbranded, how did it "look like Waxworks"?
If I remember, the packing slip mentioned Waxwork.
By NathanLurker
I think they have a missed opportunity here. they should have done the coffee thing while releasing the soundtrack to cult blacksploitation movie 'Coffy'.
By Mateo Sanboval
NathanLurker wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:58 pm I think they have a missed opportunity here. they should have done the coffee thing while releasing the soundtrack to cult blacksploitation movie 'Coffy'.
That's actually a killer score by Roy Ayers.
By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:16 am
NathanLurker wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:58 pm I think they have a missed opportunity here. they should have done the coffee thing while releasing the soundtrack to cult blacksploitation movie 'Coffy'.
That's actually a killer score by Roy Ayers.
All of the above.
By Bezulsqy
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:06 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I wondered the same thing but it's the 2018 Netflix Maniac.
I've known about Sorcerer for a while...and i wonder if the extra secret release is what i think it might be. I'll stay mum on it for now.
Did you ever mention what you thought it might be? Is the one Kevin told you about mentioned elsewhere?
By Hatter313
huh, i got Maniac but not Sorcerer. :(

@Bez, nah i don't think that one's gonna happen, but we'll see.
By ScoJo
jgibbs4053 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:13 pm Sorcerer came in yesterday
IMG_1498.JPG
IMG_1498.JPG (342.34 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
So, confirmed: straight re-press of OG album/same tracklisting. Means I have no need for/interest in this.
The artwork is... ok. But it's on splattery wax, and likely remastered 'for modern ears'. (anyone have an idea wth 'pre mastered' means?)
I have three copies of the MCA original, one which I've had since I was a teen and still play (all of the feels) and two near mint backups which I scored for £2-3 each.
It's almost a joke how
plentiful/cheap/good sounding that original is, so no... I am not the droid WW are looking for with this repress (that would likely set me back £40-50 in total.)
I'll hang in there and await any unreleased Friedkins from them.
JADE PLEASE!!! ;-D
By tim28212
@Scojo, thanks for this info. I knew it was getting released but hadn't the time to research it. I felt like it had been mentioned it was a straight re-issue was wasn't sure. Now I know. An easy pass for me also. I've still got unopened purchases from 2019 so I'm trying hard this year to buy stuff I know I'll play.
By inksb
I have an old beat up jacket with clipped corner and sticker residue (see the photo posted in the now listening thread) but my copy plays immaculately and I paid $7 for it. Sorcerer and Firestarter are two TD releases you can find for under $10 at damn near every record shop. I even recommended to a few folks I know they should just look for an original but WW worked their magic on them and they will be spending $35+ on what will probably be a worse sounding version of the album.
By ScoJo
NathanLurker wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:09 pm I'll compare. I got a canadian 1977 mca records pressing, I'll get that waxwork too.
Nice. A lot of gum-flapping recently about upcoming contribs to Comparison Corner (including by me!), looking forward to seeing some actionable intel. Im gonna do that City of the Living Dead tonight :)
By NathanLurker
ScoJo wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:09 am(anyone have an idea wth 'pre mastered' means?)
found this :

Disc Runner says : Pre-mastering is the process of getting your audio ready for the vinyl lacquer cutting stage

Independent Music Mastering Blog says : Well, the process I apply is what is actually known as vinyl pre-mastering. This involves the preparation of an audio master (often digital, but not always!) which can be cut by the engineer at the next step in the production chain.

So I guess waxwork had a source provided to them, and there was a pre-master done before starting the process of laquer cutting. What's the difference between that and Re-mastering though ? According to wikipedia, Remastering is the process of making a new master for an album, film, or any other creation. It tends to refer to the process of porting a recording from an analogue medium to a digital one, but this is not always the case. So. a premaster, is just confuging a master specifically for vinyl, while remastering is also working on sound/source and then preparing it for vinyl ? I dunno.
By Revolver_OcelScott
I hate to be that consumer whore, but I bought the WW release. Only because I really don't like buying older used records I can't see myself because of how poorly people grade them on Discogs/eBay. I really like to have a sleek clean pristine condition copy of my records.

Every time I've bought an older record, it's in abysmal condition. "Mint" condition with seam splits, bumps, stickers etc. As much as I'd love an OG black copy, I really don't wanna deal with going back and forth returning exchanging beat up copies.
Last edited by Revolver_OcelScott on Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ScoJo
NathanLurker wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:14 pm
ScoJo wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:09 am(anyone have an idea wth 'pre mastered' means?)
found this :

Disc Runner says : Pre-mastering is the process of getting your audio ready for the vinyl lacquer cutting stage

Independent Music Mastering Blog says : Well, the process I apply is what is actually known as vinyl pre-mastering. This involves the preparation of an audio master (often digital, but not always!) which can be cut by the engineer at the next step in the production chain.

So I guess waxwork had a source provided to them, and there was a pre-master done before starting the process of laquer cutting. What's the difference between that and Re-mastering though ? According to wikipedia, Remastering is the process of making a new master for an album, film, or any other creation. It tends to refer to the process of porting a recording from an analogue medium to a digital one, but this is not always the case. So. a premaster, is just confuging a master specifically for vinyl, while remastering is also working on sound/source and then preparing it for vinyl ? I dunno.
Sounds about right, sir.

What they are calling pre-mastering, is in effect simply 'mastering for vinyl'. That could mean from wither a digital or tape source I guess.

Mastering for vinyl (in very broad terms) essentially means cutting the upper hi and low frequencies (which are inaudible, and whose presence takes up audio 'energy'), possibly some EQing to generally 'embiggen' the dynamics or add width or 'air' to certain areas , and perhaps some compression and limiting. But it's a dark art indeed and I don't pretend to know what these wizards really get up to.
By ScoJo
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:51 pm I hate to be that consumer whore, but I'll probably be getting the WW release. Only because I really don't like buying older used records I can't see myself because of how poorly people grade them on Discogs/eBay. I really like to have a sleek clean pristine condition copy of my records.

Every time I've bought an older record, it's in abysmal condition. "Mint" condition with seam splits, bumps, stickers etc. As much as I'd love an OG black copy, I really don't wanna deal with going back and forth returning exchanging beat up copies.
Completely reasonable, @Rev - I'll say a wee prayer for you with that splattery wax though ;-) I have to say, although I completely understand regarding sellers over-grading, and what a nause it is to receive beat up discs, I find it just as infuriating to receive a brand new pressing that sounds like hammered ass, especially when it is needlessly pressed on a goofy colour effect. Maybe if there was a retail black version planned - but tbh, I noted a while ago that despite trying lots of different approaches and policies regarding colour vs black vs bit of both, WW and DW and Mongo don't seem to have settled on an actual lane with this regard. There's just often no transparency or communication regarding what they have planned for retail beyond their fancy web/exclusive limited wacky colour editions. And there's an obvious reason why - until relatively recently I was exactly the kind of fan who, not knowing whether there would be a black pressing to retails down the line, would panic and snap purchase an expensive imported web version (often with customs, and always with international shipping...) But I can also tell you that those pressings are often wildly disappointing, never get played, sit on the shelf, and I move them on at some point. So now I just don't go there.

As I say, I hope that this repress sounds great, that they've knocked the mastering out of the park and the splatter colour wax doesn't stink. But honestly? I can give you my guarantee that what does sound good is the original pressing, and they are ridiculously plentiful and cheap.

Fuck... I've made such a big deal out of this, tbh I almost feel like offering to send you one of my nice spare copies just to prove the point ha! :D
By Revolver_OcelScott
Haha I so get what you mean. I will say, my setup is not that spectacular, so a lot of the things that people would notice I most likely won't. That being said, I totally agree, some of these newer releases are horrendous. God of War and The Fountain from Mondo sound fucking awful. Crackles like crazy even after a good cleaning. If I ever see a copy of Sorcerer in a record store that looks good, I'll pick it up, but for now, I didn't own it already, and I hope it's not too bad sounding.

I do think WW is miles better than Mondo though. Nearly all of my WW records sound pretty damn good, Mondo has a worse track record for me.