Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By chiefbrody
Wow. They're packing quite a lot of extras in there.

Were many of these releases teased before now? Sorcerer! What's the Maniac, has this been mentioned before? Presumably Chattaway, not Rob?

Is it too late to join the Secret Santa/Holiday Gift Exchange, on sole condition that the person that gets me is feeling overly generous?
By Mateo Sanboval
I wondered the same thing but it's the 2018 Netflix Maniac.
By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I wondered the same thing but it's the 2018 Netflix Maniac.
I've known about Sorcerer for a while...and i wonder if the extra secret release is what i think it might be. I'll stay mum on it for now.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I wondered the same thing but it's the 2018 Netflix Maniac.
I've known about Sorcerer for a while...and i wonder if the extra secret release is what i think it might be. I'll stay mum on it for now.
Sorcerer is another one of those WW reissues where I hope there's more to the package than an in-house remaster and some new artwork. Originals can be found in excellent shape for way less than the cost of a new WW LP. Still, it's a killer score.
By Mateo Sanboval
havershaw wrote:I wonder if the secret release will only be for subscribers, or if we’ll be able to order a retail variant of it?
Likely the latter. I think it's simply a title they haven't announced yet. I believe that's how it's been in years past.
By inksb
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Hatter313 wrote:
Sorcerer is another one of those WW reissues where I hope there's more to the package than an in-house remaster and some new artwork. Originals can be found in excellent shape for way less than the cost of a new WW LP. Still, it's a killer score.
I grabbed a copy for $7 a few months ago at a local shop and the LP was in immaculate condition. The sleeve was pretty beat up bu that didn't bother me.
By NathanLurker
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
havershaw wrote:I wonder if the secret release will only be for subscribers, or if we’ll be able to order a retail variant of it?
Likely the latter. I think it's simply a title they haven't announced yet. I believe that's how it's been in years past.
Exactly. Only the colorway is exclusive to the subscriber, but the title will definitely be available in another color to other buyers.

Regarding the future release of Waxwork's Sorcerer, at a quick glance, there seems to be no expanded edition that was ever put out in the past, but, this interview with Friedkin mentions that more music was written at the time :
What I did was basically cherry pick from several hours of tracks that they recorded. They had written much more than what I used. I simply took those pieces that I felt were appropriate.
By lazyben
Hmmm...I've subbed every time so far and the money's not really an issue but I am trying not to buy stuff I don't actually want as my house is full.

Don't Go in the House - not familiar, any good?
Bride of Re-Animator - not sure I care
Netflix Maniac- not familiar, any good?
Sorcerer - have an OP so, again, not sure I care
Secret Soundtrack - obviously don't know
Spinature - junk
Coffee - junk
Comic - don't do comics
T-Shirt - liked these so far
Slipmat - don't use these
Tote bag - have a closet full of them, have my servants carry my stuff anyway
Pin - junk
Discount - don't get enough back on this to get excited about as seem to ignore most non-sub releases
Entry to win a turntable - would rather this wasn't included and the cost was removed

Guess I'll be researching the question marks above but leaning towards a no for me this time.
By DigitalHiss
I've got the same amount of interest in this sub that I did in all the past ones...none. Like Lazyben said of most of the "stuff"...junk to me. I'm not familiar with any of the actual soundtracks aside from Sorcerer...and I've got a great copy of Sorcerer already. Since the WW version doesn't appear to have any extra music I'll probably pass on release day (maybe a incredible package/cover art would tip me over the edge...) and pick it up somewhere down the line on sale somewhere.
By havershaw
Last year was my first year subscribing, and it was ok. I liked the sub NOTLD color, but Drag Me to Hell had a cooler retail color (I’m still undecided about Dawn).
I’m a little relieved that none of these releases are really blowing me away, so I don’t have to spend $250 this weekend. Black Friday-Thursday did me in this year.
I’ll still consider subscribing next year if the records are cool, but this year’s just aren’t doing much for me.
By Mateo Sanboval
lazyben wrote:Hmmm...I've subbed every time so far and the money's not really an issue but I am trying not to buy stuff I don't actually want as my house is full.

Don't Go in the House - not familiar, any good?
Bride of Re-Animator - not sure I care
Netflix Maniac- not familiar, any good?
Sorcerer - have an OP so, again, not sure I care
Secret Soundtrack - obviously don't know
Spinature - junk
Coffee - junk
Comic - don't do comics
T-Shirt - liked these so far
Slipmat - don't use these
Tote bag - have a closet full of them, have my servants carry my stuff anyway
Pin - junk
Discount - don't get enough back on this to get excited about as seem to ignore most non-sub releases
Entry to win a turntable - would rather this wasn't included and the cost was removed

Guess I'll be researching the question marks above but leaning towards a no for me this time.
By Bezulsqy
Hatter313 wrote:
Hatter, I am very curious as what your idea is.
We know it is going to be a 2LP. Is it one of the previously announced titles?:

Crimson Peak
Cruising (4LP) - not this one of course
French Connection
Near Dark
Alice Sweet Alice
Thief
Prom Night
Friday the 13th: The Game
Friday the 13th Part IV and the rest of the series

This list was updated up till July I think. Not sure if other titles have been mentioned. Beetlejuice appears to be right around the corner.
By Bezulsqy
I do like the score to Don't go in the house. But watching the movie I never thought there would be enough to fit on 2LP.
If they do a Universal Monster spin crapola could the secret release be the score to a Universal Monster movie?
By Hatter313
I got some intel from Kevin on something he was trying to get a while back and it was around the same time he told me about sorcerer, but all has been quite on that front, so I don’t know if it panned out. If it worked, it’s a grail for a lot of people I’m sure. We’ll see :).
By NathanLurker
Bezulsqy wrote:If they do a Universal Monster spin crapola could the secret release be the score to a Universal Monster movie?
I thought about that too. There isn't any other vinyl release of the universal monster soundtracks other than ''Bride of Frankenstein'', right ? Still, I don't know why but I feel like the secret title won't be a Universal Monster soundtrack.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote:
Hatter313 wrote:
Hatter, I am very curious as what your idea is.
We know it is going to be a 2LP. Is it one of the previously announced titles?:

Crimson Peak
Cruising (4LP) - not this one of course
French Connection
Near Dark
Alice Sweet Alice
Thief
Prom Night
Friday the 13th: The Game
Friday the 13th Part IV and the rest of the series

This list was updated up till July I think. Not sure if other titles have been mentioned. Beetlejuice appears to be right around the corner.
Gosh, seeing this list really makes me yearn for those Cruising and French Connection sets anew. How sweet could those be?!
By NathanLurker
Don't go in the House seems like the kind of underground minimal horror stuff that I was so happy to discover when I got into Death Waltz , Waxwork and OWS at their beginnings. Some of these odd and very niche cult horror movie soundtracks have been my favorite surprises in the past. the low key, niche horror, like Black Christmas, Shockwaves, Forbidden World, Slumber Party Massacre... This is the title I'm most interested in getting/discovering in the sub.
--
At first glance Bride of Re-Animator has never had a vinyl release. It's way cheesier than the original re-animator with it's tacky dramatic themes and it's kind of ugly synth sounds. I feel like a lot of it sounds like a 90's TV show soundtrack. The fact that it's ''Bride'' is probably more exciting than the actual music, but I wouldn't pass on it.
--
2018's Maniac is kind of an odd choice to place in the sub, I think it's the one least likely to appeal to fans of horror and cult. It's quirky and mellow, goes from moody classical strings to plucking sounds over percussion...wood blocks? a bit of flute like synthesizers... Feels modern, but a bit odd to me outside of the context of the serie, which I liked but wasn't that impressed or engaged by. I guess I feel the same about the soundtrack. I like, but not impressed or engaged by it. I wouldn't buy it if it was on a different label.
--
Sorcerer is a must, I think it's one of my favorite TD soundtrack and it's one of the first I picked up when I started collecting them. I paid a couple bucks for a used copy. I paid so little for it, I don't mind buying it again on a clean new copy with nice packaging. If it's expanded, great, if not, still want it.
--
If the Secret soundtrack is a good one, I think this could be an okay sub all in all. with one weak title (Maniac) and one average one (Bride). I like the inclusion of the comic, because I'm buying them anyway, I like the shirt, and the 10% off. But It's 10$US more than last year for international subscriber and I don't want the spiniature, pin, coffee, totebag and slipmat. and I'm low on cash. I think I'm going to try to get the money to sub again because I've been subbing every year since the beginning, and I try to complete the Waxwork collection, but I might be off the sub.
By Bezulsqy
Hatter313 wrote:I got some intel from Kevin on something he was trying to get a while back and it was around the same time he told me about sorcerer, but all has been quite on that front, so I don’t know if it panned out. If it worked, it’s a grail for a lot of people I’m sure. We’ll see :).
The Shining!!!
By deafmetal
Bezulsqy wrote:
Hatter313 wrote:I got some intel from Kevin on something he was trying to get a while back and it was around the same time he told me about sorcerer, but all has been quite on that front, so I don’t know if it panned out. If it worked, it’s a grail for a lot of people I’m sure. We’ll see :).
The Shining!!!
By Hatter313
Ha! That’s not what I was thinking but that would certainly be a lovely surprise
By ScoJo
I'm also surprised that Don't Go In The House is a 2xlp but don't forget, that could well mean 45rpm like many WW 2disc releases, and maybe even an etched Side 4. Looking forward to this grimy Einhorn classic in any event!
'Pass' on everything else announced in the sub so far, for various reasons. Unless Sorcerer sounds worth it. My og (of which I have no less than 3 copies) has always sounded super badass.
By milliondollars
with a subscribtion like this you can clearly see that the market is too saturated. time to say goodbye to the good old WW sub as there is seriously nothing appealing for me. i rather spend the 200-something $$$ on one good record that i'm really after...