Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:I hope Skull Island is good. Nothing like a good monster movie.
Is that what this is? I've not heard about WW having this before now. Wasn't certain if it was the new film or just a timely release of an older property.

PS- Me, too, by the way. Hoping it's fun as hell.
By Mateo Sanboval
Oh, I missed the hashtag, but the choppers have me leaning that way as well.
By NathanLurker
Definitely Skull Island yeah. the size of Kong on this artwork, and the Sun in the background. and the choppers. Definitely ''Kong : Skull Island''. Music is by ''Henry Jackman''. ''He is best known for composing major hit films such as X-Men: First Class, Wreck-It Ralph, Captain Phillips, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, Big Hero 6 and The Interview, as well as the video games Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and Just Cause 3''.

I have seen a few of those but I couldn't say I specifically remember the music, so, I don't know about that composer. Will keep an ear out when I go see it in theater. I loved Peter Jackson's King Kong, and I have a feeling this one is gonna be a lesser movie, but I'm still excited about it. John Goodman is great, the special effects look good, and the fact they are going to do a Kong Vs Godzila sounds like real good fun.
By deafmetal
NathanLurker wrote:I loved Peter Jackson's King Kong, and I have a feeling this one is gonna be a lesser movie, but I'm still excited about it. John Goodman is great, the special effects look good, and the fact they are going to do a Kong Vs Godzila sounds like real good fun.
@Nathan - That is pretty much how I feel about all of this. I also really enjoyed PJ's King Kong film. In fact, it's probably due for a fresh watch again soon.
By ScoJo
I'm under excited on this one. Kong's too damn big y'all! ;) Might be fun though.
As for composer, Jackman is a perfectly capable 'big blockbuster/action' guy in the modern mould, but can't say there's a single one of the above credits that pops in my mind or I'd want to listen to stand alone. Hope I'm wrong on this one and it's a cracker-still, seems an odd choice for WW though.
By Hatter313
i like his First Class score a whole lot, especially the Barry nods. otherwise I don't think I ever really paid too much mind, but if waxwork was into it enough to do a release, I'm hoping for some good stuff there.
By NathanLurker
deafmetal wrote:@Nathan - That is pretty much how I feel about all of this. I also really enjoyed PJ's King Kong film. In fact, it's probably due for a fresh watch again soon.
Yeah ! Try the extended version too. the additional scenes in the jungle are great, with the river eel thingie. Also, I have to say, I think the sequence where they fall from the tree into the abyss where they get attacked by the insects was one of the most terrifying thing I had seen that year. There's almost no music, it's so eerie, I love it.
ScoJo wrote:I'm under excited on this one. Kong's too damn big y'all! ;)
I agree, Kong's too big, but seeing as they want to pit him against Godzilla, It wouldn't make sense to have him smaller. If it was a movie unrelated to the Godzilla universe, I'd be disappointed by his size.
By deafmetal
NathanLurker wrote:I agree, Kong's too big, but seeing as they want to pit him against Godzilla, It wouldn't make sense to have him smaller. If it was a movie unrelated to the Godzilla universe, I'd be disappointed by his size.
Especially since Godzilla has been getting larger with almost every film:

I can't wait to see Shin Gojira again... so good! I can't recommend it enough. Such great political commentary set amongst top-notch monster action.
By Mateo Sanboval
Is that a poster, Deaf? It's a great graphic.
By deafmetal
@Mateo - I think it's just a fan-made graphic, but I will let you know if I find a print of it somewhere.
By blue15
Saw the film today, and apart from the cue "The Island," I found the score generic and unmemorable. Would be interesting if, just once, someone would kick electronics to the curb and go with just a traditional orchestra again for a change. This had some orchestral scoring, but for me it was overwhelmed by the synth stuff. I've also heard the score separately, and can't imagine giving it another listen anytime soon.
By blue15
@deaf - I enjoyed the film itself, and thought the visual fx very well done. ILM and some other fx companies at work here. Interesting to see John Dykstra's name in the end credits. Part of it was shot in Vietnam, which makes sense since it's set in 1973 near the end of the war. John C. Reilly has some great lines. Upcoming Cinefex magazine breaks down how the fx were done, looking forward to reading it. Stay thru the end credits!! Despite my thoughts on the score, I certainly hope Waxwork does well on the upcoming vinyl release.