Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By monsterworship
texasvinyl wrote:So the social media comments now seem to be "F U waxwork, I refreshed my browser a million times on Monday and I could have just waited!!!" And "wahhhhh, they are making more?!? I spent $70 because it was supposed to be "limited" and now there are lots of copies!!!! Wahhhhh"

Negative babies abound. Negbies
Rise of the Johnny Soundtrack Collectors (JSC)
By chandler75
For those in the EU who want to avoid hefty shipping costs + possible VAT, Transmission Records has the regular edition for sale for a decent price.
By Aremagod
I am going to send my deluxe out to be graded then I am going to seal it in lucite so I can retire off it one day!
By deafmetal
JSC negbie rage. Enjoying the fact that Waxwork has now turned this into an open preorder of sorts much to the disappointment of the misguided "limited edition" vinyl-investment-fund crowd. Waxwork mentioned on IG that the preorder will end at midnight CST tonight. Sounds like they will just repress based on today's demand? Interesting response, and yet the gnashing of teeth on social media continues.

One of my favorite things about this release is that it pulled so many of the old school STBC crew out of the woodwork to begrudgingly post grizzled criticisms on all of this. Why don't you all stick around and talk music with us, rather than just grumbling about the same old deluxe/colored vinyl repress bs and international freight charges? ;)
By thedeepness
I am so glad this place has stayed alive.
I don't post enough but love the info, reviews, new stuff I never would have heard of, heads up to drops and deals, humor and most of all knowing there are others who love this shit as much as I do. Make me feel a little less crazy ;)
By blastman
In all the excitement of this being available again when I woke up this morning, I forgot to use my subscriber discount (bought a deluxe edition)! I've emailed Waxwork about it on the off-chance, would they generally be cool in applying it retroactively?
By blastman
Thanks Cult, yep, they've already processed a refund for me! Top customer service.
By whiney
the record flipper dudes remind me of the people who think trump is a genius for gaming tax law
By The Cult Leader
Yeah, I'm done arguing with people who are all pissy that waxwork expanded the deluxe release. Cancelling their orders because it's not limited enough anymore, just forget the fact that it's one of the coolest soundtrack reissues ever.

Stinks of failip butthurt
By digitalscreams
I think I saw a link for The Thing Re-Press that went live on 15th Feb. Looks like that has now sold out too?

I'm loving the shipping charges to the UK. I buy a lot of records from all over the world and the Waxwork rates are twice as expensive. Its always been like this right from the beginning. I don't understand how each record pretty much doubles the shipping cost... everywhere else it just adds a few more dollars.

I just bought 6 records from waxwork for $346. I'm not shitting you.

But I love the music and the each release is amazing. I cant fault them for that. Its just the damn expense.

I've heard The Shinning will be released just before Christmas and that's going to fuck me up too.
By Mateo Sanboval
digitalscreams wrote:I think I saw a link for The Thing Re-Press that went live on 15th Feb. Looks like that has now sold out too?

I'm loving the shipping charges to the UK. I buy a lot of records from all over the world and the Waxwork rates are twice as expensive. Its always been like this right from the beginning. I don't understand how each record pretty much doubles the shipping cost... everywhere else it just adds a few more dollars.

I just bought 6 records from waxwork for $346. I'm not shitting you.

But I love the music and the each release is amazing. I cant fault them for that. Its just the damn expense.

I've heard The Shinning will be released just before Christmas and that's going to fuck me up too.
Way to bury the lede, digitalscreams! Details, man. Details! Who, what, where?
By milliondollars
by the way, did anybody else get a refund for shipping? i got a email today that they made a mistake and refunded $14. i like!
By NMA
milliondollars wrote:by the way, did anybody else get a refund for shipping? i got a email today that they made a mistake and refunded $14. i like!
Very nice. I haven't received a refund... yet... Fingers crossed :D
By MODAREC
I ended up going with the regular edition in the end from Transmission but might try and pick up a deluxe somewhere down the line 2nd hand. Now there are probably at least a couple of thousand out there.

Don't get me wrong, I love waxwork and their releases always look and sound pristine but apart from Warriors, this is the only release I've bought since CHUD or Chopping Mall due to the cost. I know people moaned about shipping from the states when DW first merged with Mondo, but I was only charged $15 for two albums to the UK the other day which is an amazing price in the current climate.

Waxwork is usually $22 for one and then jumps to $34 for an additional record. Even retail versions which I used to get for maximum £25 are now at least £36 for a single album and doubles are £46. I would have loved to get Shock Waves, Altered States, MBV but the prices have rules me out over the last couple of years. Will still be picking up Evil Dead 2 though even if I have to sell a kidney.
By Bezulsqy
milliondollars wrote:by the way, did anybody else get a refund for shipping? i got a email today that they made a mistake and refunded $14. i like!
Not yet. Did you send then an email about the shipping costs, or did you receive the refund without any action on your part?
By milliondollars
Bezulsqy wrote:
Not yet. Did you send then an email about the shipping costs, or did you receive the refund without any action on your part?
no action from my side...
By Bezulsqy
Yesterday I was reading the Friday the 13th thread and I find it quite funny how a lot of people where shocked by the price for the blood filled variant. It was $65!
And a couple of years later around 2000 people paid $70 in the blink of an eye for another single album because of some brilliant packaging...
I do understand it. As much as the music is important, the whole sensation of spinning records goes much further than the sound. How cool is it to open a gatefold for the first time and find some brilliant artwork or interesting liner notes. Every time I feel the weight of the records in my hands and the quality of a great sleeve if means much more than just the listening experience. I never had that with cd's and definitely not with digital files.

However, this sentiment does not mean I want all releases to have extra super duper expensive packaging. Once in a while is okay... you record companies already overdo it with the amount of brilliant releases you put out on the street... give me a break sometimes... ;-)
By chiefbrody
@bez, what a post. That captures the feeling that I've been denying myself more and more in these budget-constrained days. The increase cost of many of the releases exacerbates the lack of vinyl I bit these days, but I don't get that feeling from Bandcamp! Nothing compares with getting that brown square parcel in the post - especially when you've got a few on the way (or have been waiting that long) you have no idea what it is. No other format gives me that feeling. Maybe sometimes a deluxe CD box.

I was thinking earlier this week though, everyone seems to be happy with Blu-ray as a format, and I wondered why, with the exception of steelbooks, there's little or no market for deluxe packaging for films. Is there just no fetishism for digital?
By Spun out of control
Good posts guys...

@chief, speaking of deluxe packages for films... Arrow Video have been going a bit crazy and more obviously 'collector' orientated these days.

Evidence below. They've also just announced a release of Argento's Phenomena with three different versions of the same movie in a nice looking box for £30-40, so it's there if you want it ;)

Anyway, on the subject of the Thing, am happy with the 'snow' ordered via Transmission for £35. Have seen others charging up to £49 for the same in the UK. £35 is still a lot for one standard record, but for an 'import' is wearable. And this from someone who probably paid £5.99 for his first LP 30 years ago.
Attachments
Pieces_main_image_v2.jpg
Pieces_main_image_v2.jpg (217.15 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
Phantasm-1-5-UK-01.jpg
Phantasm-1-5-UK-01.jpg (64.65 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
By chiefbrody
That's true @spun. Similarly there was a deluxe Deep Red and recently Assault on Precinct 13. There just doesn't seem to be such importance placed on packaging alone.

I've similarly just ordered the Snow variant from Transmission. £40 is a lot, but this release is worth it. I'm sympathetic to the labels much more than I used to be - I suspect licencing is more expensive than it used to be in the old days, and we are talking about some significant titles, often with unreleased or out of print material. In fact, probably every part of the process is more expensive these days. Ultimately it's amazing that we're getting the chance to own The Thing again.
By craiged
And you can all get The Thing board game from Mondo to play whilst you're spinning the wax!
By Mateo Sanboval
craiged wrote:And you can all get The Thing board game from Mondo to play whilst you're spinning the wax!
I saw that, too, Craig. What a time to be alive.