Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Nice post, Cult! I love that artwork. Love it! Any tracklisting or other info yet?
By The Cult Leader
Watched The Thing last night and had me thinking about the ending with Childs and Macready. Is there anybody here that DOESN'T belive Childs was assimilated by the end of the movie?
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:I find the ambiguity to be one of the best things about the ending.
Fact not opinion.
By Hatter313
So for years the whole theory was that because you don't see child's breath at the end that he MUST be the thing, lo and behold I go to a screening at the Alamo and at the end on the big screen in glorious 35mm you can indeed see his breath fogging. The whole row of us just went "damn it!" At the same time.
By texasvinyl
I was excited to buy The Thing blu-ray for $3 a couple months back. Turned out to be a "fooled you" remake I had no idea existed. Same name, nearly the same cover as the original.... gah. And the movie was fucking terrible! All in-your-face, simultaneously fast-paced and dreadfully boring. I want my $3 back! :::shakes fist:::

I'm sure Waxwork will do a great job with this.
By Hatter313
texasvinyl wrote:I was excited to buy The Thing blu-ray for $3 a couple months back. Turned out to be a "fooled you" remake I had no idea existed. Same name, nearly the same cover as the original.... gah. And the movie was fucking terrible! All in-your-face, simultaneously fast-paced and dreadfully boring. I want my $3 back! :::shakes fist:::

I'm sure Waxwork will do a great job with this.
Ah yes....that prequel. I'm sorry you had to see that. Apparently the director was very upset that the studio made him go over a lot of the practical effects with CGI, I think he really wanted to do it justice but that doesn't help with the rest of the movie. I thought the explanation behind the ax in the door was particularly disappointing
By NathanLurker
At least Mary Elizabeth Winstead was in it. And Joel Edgerton. It's a shame about the CGI coverups yeah, because the practical effects underneath did look very nice, but the movie's plot progression was heavily similar to John Carpenter's. It felt like nothing new, it felt flat. For a movie that was suppose to be a prequel that expands on the story, it ended up being quite the re-hash. but it's not as bad as people say. It's an okay bad movie. At least in my memory, from the single time I watched it. I remember that I liked that we got to see more spaceship stuff.

(I'm very sorry about the fact I just slightly defended the Thing prequel... please don't judge me, I've got good taste, I swear !)
By Mateo Sanboval
15941455_298583053877961_1571705083611784472_n.jpg
15941455_298583053877961_1571705083611784472_n.jpg (73.71 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
By tim28212
I was hoping that this release would also include the music composed by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth. Unless they are playing it close to the vest and it's a 2lp, going by the pic it's just the original LP. It's Waxwork so it's gonna be awesome but was hoping for something extra. Fingers still crossed for a surprise.
By Mateo Sanboval
tim28212 wrote:I was hoping that this release would also include the music composed by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth. Unless they are playing it close to the vest and it's a 2lp, going by the pic it's just the original LP. It's Waxwork so it's gonna be awesome but was hoping for something extra. Fingers still crossed for a surprise.
Same here, Tim. 'Tis why I posted it. I noticed Waxwork was very careful to refer to it as Morricone's score with no mention of Howarth or Carpenter (save a directorial credit for the latter), but they also called it deluxe or some suchness so I, too, was holding out hope we'd get an expanded edition on wax much like The Fog.
By 334578rpm
I was listening to my OG copy last night, debating weather I want to double dip on this or not, and I noticed the track lengths on the labels are different on the WW reissue. Most of them are within a few seconds, but the track Solitude is listed as 3 minutes longer on the reissue. So maybe we're getting a few extra minutes of music?

1982 2017
A1 Humanity (Part 1) 6:50 6:53
A2 Shape 3:16 3:17
A3 Contamination 1:02 1:02
A4 Bestiality 2:56 2:56
A5 Solitude 2:58 5:57
A6 Eternity 5:35 5:27
B1 Wait 6:22 6:26
B2 Humanity (Part 2) 7:15 7:12
B3 Sterilization 5:12 5:05
B4 Despair 4:58 4:47
By ScoJo
^ Some versions of the LP have this, it's a mis-print. The track is 5" 58'. I have the US release, same deal :)

A bit disappointingly for h/core fans, it does seem this will be a straight re-press. I'm still in-like-Flint !
By monsterworship
One thing I learned this year, is that all of the gold stamped promo copies of The Thing are numbered.

Have had this copy for years and never noticed before.
Anyone got a number? Curious as to how high they go.

By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote:^ Some versions of the LP have this, it's a mis-print. The track is 5" 58'. I have the US release, same deal :)

A bit disappointingly for h/core fans, it does seem this will be a straight re-press. I'm still in-like-Flint !
Eh, I consider myself a pretty h/core fan of carpenter, morricone, and this movie in particular, and I've never been able to pick up an OG of this. Every time I see one on discogs its not financially viable at the time and I've NEVER seen it in the wild. Would have liked expanded but also thrilled to just have a copy of this at all on wax.
By ScoJo
@Hatter - absolutely!

@Monster - mine is a promo, but.....no stamp/number! :(
By blue15
Just checked my gold stamped promo (I purchased on 6/25/82 according to the Sound Guard sticker on the outer sleeve bag), but no sign of any number.
By ScoJo
The plot thicks!

As an aside, I have the 34 track 2CD boot kicking around on my h/drive if anyone's not heard/innerested.... ;)
By DigitalHiss
About the pic released earlier today...I can't tell if that is a "blood petri dish" decal in the center...or is it "blood" filled? Any ideas?
By Mateo Sanboval
No idea, DigitalHiss. Maybe post up the pic or a link to it?