Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
I ordered one regular and thirteen special editions. No shipping notification on any of them yet. Now they're delayed another two weeks? My chum - er- customers are getting antsy and I hate dealing with Paypal claims.
By deafmetal
Mateo Sanboval wrote:My chum - er- customers are getting antsy and I hate dealing with Paypal claims.
By Mateo Sanboval
Yeah, I sold some to those dudes. They must've just found that they missed the second wave of pre-orders when this picture was taken.
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Aremagod
My white pressing had a couple of pops but wasn't noisy like some people have complained about.
By 334578rpm
I cleaned and listened to my white copy last night. Definitely not the quietest piece of vinyl I own. When listening with headphones, there was a noticeable whoosing sound at the beginning of each side and a few pops here and there. But it's quieter than my OG copy that has a fair number of pop/clicks as well, so I think I'll keep it. I do appreciate the mastering on the reissue. It sounds good and is very dynamic.
By monsterworship
I love white vinyl, but it is inherently noisey.

SCALE OF COLOR VINYL SOUND QUALITY CHARACTERISTICS:*
(Surface noise 1= quietest / 8 = noisiest)
1. Black vinyl
4. Transparent Colors (Blue, Green, Clear, Gold [orange], Transparent Red, Coke Clear, Fluorescent Colors)
6. Non-Mixed Opaque Colors (Pink, Red, Yellow, Violet, Brown)
7. White
7. Opaque Mix (Mixing opaque and translucent color(s) in particular; and also tend to have visible “staining” after a few hundred records, which can be seen in certain light).
7-8. Random Color / Recycled Color Shades
8. Hand-made variants
8-10. Glow In The Dark / Glitter Records
By chiefbrody
I think I have two records that are white vinyl, not only are they noisy, but they're also both warped - is there a similar warpage scale? Are these issues connected, or coincidence?

On this specific data, is the really nothing on the scale 2-3? Its pretty sheeeeeeit that the option for non-black jumps to 4 on the scale.

Re: The Thing, I missed the WW drop, and thought I'd got lucky with Transmission's first batch of orders but there's been a delay there (sometime in April). If WW says the 15th Feb orders won't ship til May, I wonder if that signals a further delay for Transmission.
By blastman
milliondollars wrote:by the way, did anybody else get a refund for shipping? i got a email today that they made a mistake and refunded $14. i like!
I didn't hear about this until I caught up with the thread just now. To clarify, was this the shipping on the deluxe to Europe (or outside N America at least)?
By monsterworship
chiefbrody wrote:I think I have two records that are white vinyl, not only are they noisy, but they're also both warped - is there a similar warpage scale? Are these issues connected, or coincidence?

On this specific data, is the really nothing on the scale 2-3? Its pretty sheeeeeeit that the option for non-black jumps to 4 on the scale.

Re: The Thing, I missed the WW drop, and thought I'd got lucky with Transmission's first batch of orders but there's been a delay there (sometime in April). If WW says the 15th Feb orders won't ship til May, I wonder if that signals a further delay for Transmission.
The scale is provided by the pressing plant I used, and may not be indicative of other plant's materials.
But IMHO i think it is accurate on a broad scale.
By chiefbrody
I wasn't disputing it @monster, it looks about right to me, though there are exceptions of course. Given the fashion for colour, is a shame nothing comes close to black vinyl. Shame that sound quality takes a back seat, then again, most people out there are streaming and playing mp3s, so the market doesn't demand the highest quality. I know the gains can be less clear to everyone than with visual formats, but it still puzzles me that people are so happy to settle when it comes to audio.
By Mateo Sanboval
monsterworship wrote:I love white vinyl, but it is inherently noisey.

SCALE OF COLOR VINYL SOUND QUALITY CHARACTERISTICS:*
(Surface noise 1= quietest / 8 = noisiest)
1. Black vinyl
4. Transparent Colors (Blue, Green, Clear, Gold [orange], Transparent Red, Coke Clear, Fluorescent Colors)
6. Non-Mixed Opaque Colors (Pink, Red, Yellow, Violet, Brown)
7. White
7. Opaque Mix (Mixing opaque and translucent color(s) in particular; and also tend to have visible “staining” after a few hundred records, which can be seen in certain light).
7-8. Random Color / Recycled Color Shades
8. Hand-made variants
8-10. Glow In The Dark / Glitter Records
Why is this still a hotly contested issue among collectors? This represents the third plant that I am aware of saying some rough equivalent of the same thing and yet many collectors maintain that there is no inherent difference between black and any "other" colors. Or at least there shouldn't be. I've even had an "industry insider" tell me that the difference, if any even exists, is because plants take less care in pressing color in today's day and age because they know it is largely a gimmick for collectors and not audiophiles so they are far less likely to notice or care. There're some truths in there to be certain, but holy heck, black sounds better nearly every time!

TL;DR:

By ScoJo
@mateo - "I've even had an "industry insider" tell me that the difference, if any even exists, is because plants take less care in pressing color in today's day and age because they know it is largely a gimmick for collectors and not audiophiles so they are far less likely to notice or care."

Because....Black wax matters
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:@mateo - "I've even had an "industry insider" tell me that the difference, if any even exists, is because plants take less care in pressing color in today's day and age because they know it is largely a gimmick for collectors and not audiophiles so they are far less likely to notice or care."

Because....Black wax matters
First STBC t-shirt?
By DigitalHiss
I'll always find it odd that many record companies don't press black at all for some releases...especially if they go through the trouble and cost of remastering/remixing/bettering the sound quality only to press it onto a piece of gimmick wax that may or may not impact the playback quality (I tend to think black sounds the best just from my anecdotal experience.)

Do the goofy gimmick colors but also press some in straight up BLACK...is there no demand for black wax? Is black wax more expensive?
By thedeepness
Giving my white copy a third spin right now and it sounds great. I didn't hear any background noise at all with mine. The sound packs a nice punch. Really happy with the sound quality.
By monsterworship
i gave my copy a few spins, sounds ok. No complaints about surface noise.

however, on side B on the third track, sterilization, there is some distortion/buzzing on a particular high part that occurred with each listen.

maybe its on my end somewhere, i'll have to check the exact running time.
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote:I have. The snow variant has noise on side a for a bit and side b for even longer. I know @scojo's copy is the same. I'm waiting on a replacement now. :(
Same here, unfortunately. Mine has a loud, rhythmic pop/rip sound combo on side a through a good bit of track 1. From there, side a gets really quiet and, frankly, sounds phenominal. Side b fares far worse. Similar noise throughout track 1 on side b and, while it dissipates and hides in the louder passages, it is always there. No bueno. I'm going to try my luck at a return. Never done that with Waxwork before, but I think I'll go the email route.
By ScoJo
On topic....you may or may not dig this 'thing' I did a few years ago in an idle moment - I came across the 'helicopter fail' video online and it gave me a sudden burst of inspiration. As usual, the YT commenters never let you down... ("FAKE!!")

Last edited by ScoJo on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ScoJo
total fake ... im pretty sure the Norwegians in the thing (1982) didnt have ka-50 attack heli`s in it and at 33s in if you look it looks like a muslim wearing the skull cap on the back of the head (not being racist just making an observation) plus the buildings are concrete where as the thing the ice station was corigated iron and steel sheets

Nailed it.
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:total fake ... im pretty sure the Norwegians in the thing (1982) didnt have ka-50 attack heli`s in it and at 33s in if you look it looks like a muslim wearing the skull cap on the back of the head (not being racist just making an observation) plus the buildings are concrete where as the thing the ice station was corigated iron and steel sheets

Nailed it.
Hook, line, and sinker. Unreal.

PS - The husky reaction shot nearly got tea in my keyboard.
By deafmetal
I received my white vinyl copy from Waxwork. My first impression is a solid gatefold sleeve with nice spot-varnish artwork. I like the black-themed art design, which almost seems to be a slight homage to the original LP on MCA Records. The inner gatefold art almost explodes with white, which suits the overall look of the film well, and also retains the mystery without giving too much away. It's really a lovely-looking sleeve. Hard to imagine the deluxe version *containing* this entire sleeve. Wow.

I gave the vinyl a quick brush cleaning and am now listening. Full disclosure: I primarily listen with headphones, so I am very sensitive to surface noise. A few minor crackles on Side A, which will likely clear up with a better cleaning. I immediately noticed that the mastering on this album is exceptional. At first pass, I believe it sounds better than my original LP... but there is surface noise. It's a bit faint on side A, but it's there. I'm not sure how noticeable it would be on stereo speakers. The opening of Side B is a bit disappointing. I'm am hearing surface noise that sounds like a rotating fan or piece of machinery. It's distracting in headphones. Add my copy to the "defect" batch for this. It clears up further into side B, but it's still there just under the surface of the great mastering. In the really loud parts it's not very noticeable. I will see if I could return this copy, but I hope the deluxe haze does not have this noise, as it's possible this remaster could exceed the original. I will spend some more time with my originals again to compare.

Personal opinion: I feel the sleeves notes should have been with both editions, and the poster should have been included with the deluxe if they really need something extra that was exclusive.
By bpwlogan
I've given mine a few spins and it sounds good to me. I'm usually one that picks up on surface noise quickly, and my copy sounds perfect. I try to avoid colored vinyl at this point, but when there's no other option I will pick one up if it's something that I really want. The mastering on this release is great, but I've come to expect that from Waxwork.

One thing I have to say is that the cover art is awesome. It's my favorite cover art of any of the current reissues over the past few years.

I hope you guys get some better replacement copies. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the multicolored varient sounds!
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote:On topic....you may or may not dig this 'thing' I did a few years ago in an idle moment - I came across the 'helicopter fail' video online and it gave me a sudden burst of inspiration. As usual, the YT commenters never let you down... ("FAKE!!")

Excellent job ScoJo!

On another note: did Waxwork comment somewhere on the sound issues that a lot of people are experiencing?
By Mateo Sanboval
@Deaf - Nice writeup. Mine has the same issues in the same spots as you describe, but more so. I can't imagine listening to the first track of side B on headphones. The ripping sound is easily twice as loud as the music. Even so, you can tell it's mastered beautifully. Not having an original myself, I'll be interested to hear your comparison between the two when you get a clean copy of the reissue.

@Bez - I haven't seen a public comment anywhere, but a bunch of people have this issue and Waxwork is aware. They were prompt and polite (as usual) with me. The replacements I know of (with one exception) are between four and six weeks out which indicates to me that they are probably getting a batch repressed. Hopefully the plant is picking up the tab for that since they destroyed these copies.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Thanks All for sharing your listening experiences. It seems obvious that a fair amount of the white pressing has issues. As has been mentioned by many others before, it's such a pity when the pleasure of a great remastering work is tainted by issues from colored vinyl.

I know that WW is really good with their customer service and all but esp. for people overseas it gets such a hazzle (and takes ages) to send records back and forth across the pond.
Well, I'll wait and see how mine turns out and stay optimistic.