Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
My deluxe is in transit.
Did any other people than Scojo and Million get partial refunds because of the high shipping to the EU?
By Bezulsqy
I contacted them through their site and a day later I got a refund. They did state that not all orders/countries warranted a refund, but my situation did apply.
Great service in my opinion.
By liftman2013
I love Waxworks. I love the Thing. I have had no problem being patient with the wait to get it UK based. I initially asked about a refund based on ScoJos comments. Was told 'will have to see'. Surely though if we are both UK based same rules apply...

Just saying
By Mateo Sanboval
liftman2013 wrote:I love Waxworks. I love the Thing. I have had no problem being patient with the wait to get it UK based. I initially asked about a refund based on ScoJos comments. Was told 'will have to see'. Surely though if we are both UK based same rules apply...

Just saying
Are you talking about an international shipping refund or a quality control issue?
By Mateo Sanboval
liftman2013 wrote:ah sorry simply a slight shipping refund. if it would seem some have gotten it already
Gotcha. seems like that would be a fairly universal refund. Hope it gets squared away.
By DigitalHiss
Got the deluxe Thing about two weeks ago...packaging is phenomenal. The actual score has been remastered phenomenally. The vinyl is noisy, especially the first half of side A. I've been hesitating to email WW because I hoped it would clear up after a bunch of spins but I've got to email them tonight. I'm taking some audio/video of the issue in case they ask..

Anyone else have sound issues with the deluxe variant?
By Hatter313
had a bit of crackle at first on side A, probably just static, and whisper quiet after that.
By Mateo Sanboval
I have a brief, yet prehaps complicated, query for my STBC brethren. When we are listening to expanded JC scores like the ones available for the Thing, are we hearing original recordings or hearing Alan Howarth and Co. re-recordings of original materials? In other words is Carpenter playing on any of the supplemental materials on the "John Carpenter in association with Alan Howarth" releases?
By chiefbrody
@mateo, I've often wondered that myself. It's difficult to get a straight answer, but I've come to conclude (or assume) it's a mixed bag.

For some the supplemental material appears to be Howarth (e.g. Halloween II). Others (Halloween III, Big Trouble) I think it's Carpenter/Howarth. Then there are the entirely Howarth re-recordings (The Thing, Dark Star and Assault) on BSX(?).

That's my current understanding/assumption. I'm probably about to be corrected by my brothers on here.

In this case (not that I have it), I think The Thing, other than the BSX CD, are original Carpenter recordings.
By Mateo Sanboval
chiefbrody wrote:@mateo, I've often wondered that myself. It's difficult to get a straight answer, but I've come to conclude (or assume) it's a mixed bag.

For some the supplemental material appears to be Howarth (e.g. Halloween II). Others (Halloween III, Big Trouble) I think it's Carpenter/Howarth. Then there are the entirely Howarth re-recordings (The Thing, Dark Star and Assault) on BSX(?).

That's my current understanding/assumption. I'm probably about to be corrected by my brothers on here.

In this case (not that I have it), I think The Thing, other than the BSX CD, are original Carpenter recordings.
Well, heck, Chief. Thanks for muddying the waters, pal. In all seriousness, I expected something like this to be the case. Interesting to hear what others here think the story is.
By ScoJo
The Chief sounds pretty close to me.

The Thing is a complicated one for sure - the original soundtrack release is of course mainly Morricone, but does arguably feature some of the 'synth drones' which Carpenter felt needed adding to the film before it's release. The Argentian bootleg CD from 2010 features more of Carpenter's full cues as they appear in the movie (I believe taken from isolated track on a laserdisc perhaps?), and some of these were re-created in full by Howarth for the special expanded BSX 2011 CD.

Phew!
By Mateo Sanboval
I bet JC could make a nice bit of coin by releasing his own expanded editions from his original tapes. Presuming they exist of course.
By chiefbrody
@mateo it amazes me that any of JC's soundtracks are out of print on CD (many of them seem to be), and that there are so many that haven't been issued/reissued on vinyl (Christine an obvious one). Ghosts of Mars (sorry to bring it up!) seems like an obvious choice for a deluxe reissue, to include the previously unreleased cues too.
By reddye6
chiefbrody wrote:@mateo it amazes me that any of JC's soundtracks are out of print on CD (many of them seem to be), and that there are so many that haven't been issued/reissued on vinyl (Christine an obvious one). Ghosts of Mars (sorry to bring it up!) seems like an obvious choice for a deluxe reissue, to include the previously unreleased cues too.
Sounds like a great idea, Chief.

Boys, ready the presses for another "Escape From New York" reissue! Make it a "Purple Plissken Snake Swirl"!
By ScoJo
Weeellll...I do feel I should remind us that we have the deluxe Escape From LA score coming soon on expanded 2xLP....and that music is badass and first time on wax.

That'll do...for starters ;-)
By chiefbrody
Fair point @ScoJo, and even 2 variants for those that way inclined. I don't have that one in any format so I'll likely be picking it up. £45 though...
By ScoJo
@chief -

Yeaah....£45 tho indeed. I had a good scout about and considered getting from US Amazon but shipping wasn't groovy and ended up more expensive than UK stockist. It's nuts though - considering how prohibitive importing lps from US labels has become, some of these big Amazon US retailers often ship lps for like a few quid! Always worth a look.
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:It's nuts though - considering how prohibitive importing lps from US labels has become, some of these big Amazon US retailers often ship lps for like a few quid! Always worth a look.
It absolutely is. I've scored a few deals from Amazon UK of late importing LPs for significantly cheaper than buying them from the US site.
By flapdoodle
DigitalHiss wrote:Got the deluxe Thing about two weeks ago...packaging is phenomenal. The actual score has been remastered phenomenally. The vinyl is noisy, especially the first half of side A. I've been hesitating to email WW because I hoped it would clear up after a bunch of spins but I've got to email them tonight. I'm taking some audio/video of the issue in case they ask..

Anyone else have sound issues with the deluxe variant?
I just received a normal white variant, and it gets stuck halfway through the final track.

When I say White, I mean 'White with patches of black and what looks like someone's hair embedded it.'

Still, at least its better than the copy of Notturno I got a few months back that's barely playable.