Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By DigitalHiss
These issues are similar to what I experienced in the Salem's Lot release a while back. They sent me two replacement LPs no questions asked but they both had the same issue...so that makes three LPs, one of which was a variant color different than the others that had this whirring/wooshing sound. I gave up after the third LP. They didn't even want the defective LPs back.

Patiently waiting for my deluxe edition of The Thing to land...
By skeletonbutt
Hopefully they get sick of dealing with all these defective multicolored swirly splattered vinyls and just release black. I wonder if their sales would go down dramatically if they do such a thing. Are there people out there who wouldn't buy an album simply because it's pressed on plain ol' black?
By deafmetal
skeletonbutt wrote:Are there people out there who wouldn't buy an album simply because it's pressed on plain ol' black?
I am sure there are some, but it probably depends on the title and if there are other options or not. I have heard from label managers that the black vinyl option does not sell as well when color vinyl is offered. It's the reality of slinging vinyl in these strange modern times.
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:
skeletonbutt wrote:Are there people out there who wouldn't buy an album simply because it's pressed on plain ol' black?
I am sure there are some, but it probably depends on the title and if there are other options or not. I have heard from label managers that the black vinyl option does not sell as well when color vinyl is offered. It's the reality of slinging vinyl in these strange modern times.
Facts.
By static14
jgibbs4053 wrote:Isn't this what Spencer said about Black subscription he tried out w DW?
Yeah I believe so. I do miss that black subscription though :(
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote:
jgibbs4053 wrote:Isn't this what Spencer said about Black subscription he tried out w DW?
Yeah I believe so. I do miss that black subscription though :(
Same, but even there, to make it financially viable for DWRC, they often left out booklets, gatefold/textured sleeves, etc that the 'variant' releases included. That's the most regrettable part for me; the assumption that folks who want black wax, want less information and/or packaging. Not the case. Far from it. It's the more secure fidelity I'm after first, but also I'm a devotee of album art and information. I regularly py $35 a pop (sometimes more) for reissues on speakers corner, music matters, audio fidelity, and the like because they seem to sink the effort and resources into terrific mastering and pressing. As well as sturdy packaging. It's one of the reasons I can stomach paying $35 for a single LP on Waxwork; they usually sound fantastic.
By Aremagod
I'd have no problem if there was never any other record pressed on colored vinyl. I'm sure the labels would take a hit from the speculators, variant hunters and random idiots who collect but never listen to the music not buying black vinyl. It's possible that without colored vinyl and variants we wouldn't get the amazing releases we have been getting though....Oh music you cruel temptress....
By goodnightcigarettes
I kinda feel like I've got just as many noisy black records as coloured ones in recent years. It kinda all depends on the label and I guess which plant they use. Just don't think always going black is the answer to eliminating the issue.
By Mateo Sanboval
goodnightcigarettes wrote:I kinda feel like I've got just as many noisy black records as coloured ones in recent years. It kinda all depends on the label and I guess which plant they use. Just don't think always going black is the answer to eliminating the issue.
That is definitely a fair point. It's the care, more than the color, that makes a successful pressing. Still, a split splatter record is less likely to be trouble free than a plain pressing of nearly any color in my experience.
By reddye6
DigitalHiss wrote:Anyone get a shipping notice (or any info at all) for their deluxe editions?
Nothing yet for me
By Mateo Sanboval
DigitalHiss wrote:Anyone get a shipping notice (or any info at all) for their deluxe editions?
Nope.
By reddye6
I got a shipping notice on my Deluxe today.
By reddye6
ScoJo wrote:
reddye6 wrote:I got a shipping notice on my Deluxe today.
How did you get into my place of work?!

And I'll definitely be doing that if the vinyl sounds smooothhh.
By ScoJo
reddye6 wrote: How did you get into my place of work?!

Nice Cassock dude!
By reddye6
ScoJo wrote:
reddye6 wrote: How did you get into my place of work?!

Nice Cassock dude!
If I had a nickle for every time I've heard that, I'd have 15 cents.
By DigitalHiss
Got my shipping confirmation email today. Curious as to what they sound like..will be scanning instagram for "real" in hand photos of this beast.
By reddye6
Tonight!
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (161.86 KiB) Viewed 5259 times
By texasvinyl
DigitalHiss wrote:Got my shipping confirmation email today. Curious as to what they sound like..will be scanning instagram for "real" in hand photos of this beast.
got mine. it is staticky in parts, but not in consistent spots upon repeat playthroughs. maybe residual static from the unusual type of plastic in the inner sleeve? mastering is good.
By Mateo Sanboval
texasvinyl wrote:
DigitalHiss wrote:Got my shipping confirmation email today. Curious as to what they sound like..will be scanning instagram for "real" in hand photos of this beast.
got mine. it is staticky in parts, but not in consistent spots upon repeat playthroughs. maybe residual static from the unusual type of plastic in the inner sleeve? mastering is good.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that and welcome to the boa-oh wait-Tex? Is that you? Did you get your hairs cut or something?