Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By waxworkrecords
Hey, Guys. It has been a while!

We wanted to clear up some concerns about the upcoming 2017 Subscription.

First, thank you so much for the support. Seriously. It means everything. We wouldn't be doing this without the support of you guys, and we truly know it.

Regarding the 2017 Subscription Service, it's going to be an amazing year. The titles, along with everything else that comes with the upcoming 2017 Subscription, will certainly make this one the best, yet.

A concern that we noticed some people are having is the drop in the discount for subscribers from 18% to 10%. There are numerous reasons why we did this. For the 2015 and 2016 subscriptions, we really wanted to offer a generous discount that no other label was offering. An 18% is a very attractive and a great discount to use for anything Waxwork releases for an entire year. After a subscription sale ends, we supply subscribers with a private subscriber discount code and we are very explicit that the code is for you and you only. Unfortunately, some subscribers have abused that incentive, and have given their discount codes to their friends and other non subscribers. In 2016 alone, the discounts tallied up to over $30,000. So, as you can imagine, we lost a lot of money there. We can see who uses the discount codes, their e-mail addresses, names, contact info, addresses. It's unfortunate that folks that paid money for the subscription also gave their private codes away to non subscribers. Some have even posted it here on the board, recently. So, we are developing a way to prevent this from happening again.

Another reason why we dropped the discount from 18% to 10% is because of what goes into making our products. Unlike other record labels, we refuse to outsource manufacturing of Waxwork products to other countries in return for price breaks or cheap labor. We tried out working with a pressing plant abroad in 2015, and it was a disaster. Shipping rates were astronomical, the quality was poor, and there was little to no quality control. We couldn't get anyone on the phone and had to work with brokers. After a very small handful of releases in 2015 pressed abroad, we quickly circled back with Erika Records (a minority / family owned pressing plant that has been doing this for over 30 years). It's great being able to speak directly with them, and even visit the plant to check out production of our releases. We also have all of our print materials made at Stoughton (jackets, inserts, etc.), another American company that is family owned and have been leading the industry for over 50 years. We do this because we want to offer a superior product. Products that we, ourselves, would like to own. Products that we can be proud of.
We don't cut corners, ever. To offer a deluxe product, and to also offer a generous discount to subscribers, we must look at our bottom line and reduce the discount percentage. We believe that subscribers will be getting an incredible product, and also receiving a fair discount on anything and everything available from Waxwork in 2017.

Someone recently mentioned here that "Waxwork is becoming one of the big boy labels" and losing our "DIY punk credibility". That couldn't be further from the truth. The truth is exactly the opposite of those statements. To this day, we are still an independent, small staffed, record label. No bigger company owns Waxwork (and that can look bad on us when trying to work with some folks in the industry). We have never wavered, weakened, sold our company, partnered with a bigger company, gave up operations, etc.
Waxwork operates at a truly DIY independent level while being a staunch competitor to other companies, period. We don't have 20+ employees, deep pockets, or behind-the-curtain operations funding our label unknown to our fans and customers. There are also no safety nets. We 100% rely on sales from our awesome customers.

The Subscription is only slightly more expensive for 2017 than in previous years. When you see what will be going into the packaging and other bonus items, you'll understand why.

Waxwork is evolving and growing, and it's because of you guys. We work extremely hard everyday and this is all that we do. Waxwork is a lifestyle for us. At the end of the day, we honestly couldn't do it without the support of our fans that are so dedicated.

We hope this clears up a bit of the concerns about the upcoming Subscription, and will hopefully answers some questions. If you have any other questions, we're here to answer them.
By Mateo Sanboval
blue15 wrote:And I'll be back on board as a subber too. 100% made in the USA, love it!
Well, well, well. Welcome back, Waxwork! Don't Look Now is an inspired choice. Nice work there.
By Aremagod
I'll be re-subbing and yeah I was probably spoiled by the 18% but I can understand why it had to be dropped. The customer service has been fantastic over the years I have been buying Waxwork releases and the music choices fall right in my wheelhouse. I still wished we could have had another mystery release because the guessing games were always fun and I didn't need to know everything I was getting because I trusted Waxwork to treat me right.

I still feel Killer Klowns would be a title Waxwork would knock out of the park.
By Occhionero
Traitor? Because I ask critical questions? A look at this photo should be an explanation, right?
Attachments
IMG_6139.JPG
Will it grow bigger next year?!
IMG_6139.JPG (196.74 KiB) Viewed 4294 times
By NathanLurker
nah I was just teasing you a bit haha, that's why I added the winking smiley. I know you support the labels very much.

you even have multiple variants for some releases ! How do you sort them though? that's not by catalog number, not by title, not by composer...
By Occhionero
I know Nath, but you know my family comes from the south of Italy and traitors will get some cement-shoes there ;-) Capice?!

I usually store them by catalogue numbers. At least with WW, Mondo and DW aaaaand ZTT (remember them?). All others are by Composer.

BTW, anyone else had to pay postage for the sub during checkout? I guess this is an issue by PayPal?!
By Bezulsqy
Very cool to see you posting again Waxwork.
I'll take back my Big Boys VS DIY Mentality comment :-)
December 20 when the new pay check comes I will re-sub for the 3td time.
And please keep posting here!
If you read through a lot of the comments on thise board you will see a lot of love from us here for your great label.
By blastman
I just wanted to chime in on behalf of foreign subscribers, particularly those in the Euro zone for whom this year's subscription is a very, very, expensive proposal due to the dollar and the Euro being close to parity. In a nutshell, it means each subscription release costs €57, more than double the price of normal releases in bricks and mortar stores here. I know Waxwork releases are quality, but that's still a heavy premium in my book. The discount cut also hurts, as I bought a variant of every non-sub release too, but giving out a generic code was never a good idea especially for a pretty high discount, it was always going to get into the public domain.

This year's sub looks great, with some titles I'm really looking forward to, but I haven't justified renewing to myself yet. Hopefully I will be able to before the timer runs out, I'm hesitating much more than I ever thought I would, though.