Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
Hey guys, for what it's worth, mine is whisper quiet. Could be a bad batch somewhere along the line, but it's not too far up the chain at least. Listening now. I've got the Tri color.
By DigitalHiss
Little update: I emailed Waxwork Friday letting them know my replacement had the same issue. I didn't ask for another replacement or anything - just a short email letting them know something might be up and I asked if anyone else was finding this problem on their copies.

I didn't get a response to that, but this afternoon I got a shipping notice email and it looks like they've sent me another midnight blue A/B disc.

So I'll report back in a week or so once I spin this replacement replacement!
By bpwlogan
@DigitalHiss- My midnight blue variant had some surface noise on side A too. The surface noise has dropped off significantly with numerous spins of the record. I have notice this on other solid colored vinyl variants in the past too. I just wish more of the labels would press black or transparent vinyl. I think solid colored pressings are always going to be at the most risk for some surface noise. I would love to see Waxwork press more black vinyl. The mastering of their releases are excellent, and it would be nice to have more black or even transparent editions from them.
By Mateo Sanboval
bpwlogan wrote:@DigitalHiss- My midnight blue variant had some surface noise on side A too. The surface noise has dropped off significantly with numerous spins of the record. I have notice this on other solid colored vinyl variants in the past too. I just wish more of the labels would press black or transparent vinyl. I think solid colored pressings are always going to be at the most risk for some surface noise. I would love to see Waxwork press more black vinyl. The mastering of their releases are excellent, and it would be nice to have more black or even transparent editions from them.
Hear, hear.
By bpwlogan
It's probably just pipe dreaming Mateo, but it would be nice to see a black vinyl sub from WW:)
By XGEEKEDGERX
deafmetal wrote:@Mateo - Agreed, and I wonder if imperfections are introduced between the test pressing and the production runs? Either way, I like what Waxwork are doing with these albums, but I always wish for the best possible vinyl pressing, whether on black or color vinyl.
I've just picked up the retail version (the midnight blue variant) and it's pretty noisy through the first track to the point where it's incredibly distracting. Will give it a blast on the Okki later to see if it fares batter after that. Halfway through side A it gets noticeably better and is decently quiet across sides B/C and D considering it's a splattered coloured variant.

@deafmetal i'm pretty certain most test pressings would be on standard black? That's my experience anyway.
By EvanCampbell
Yeah this is a really frustrating topic. I swore off buying anymore mixed or splattered versions but recently that is the only versions of soundtracks I have wanted for years being released. I understand that they need to sell and moved the product with interesting colors but damn it is frustrating because it doesn't have to be noisy.
By Mateo Sanboval
EvanCampbell. As I live and breathe. Hear hear, sir.
By EvanCampbell
Mateo - glad to see you...I was worried. All kinds of stories were published! You vanished, sunk into mental illness, moved to Peru to find yourself. Things get out of hand online!
By DigitalHiss
I always opt for black vinyl over any colors...but like EvanCampbell said sometimes you don't have the option. With black you can see the surface better and they generally sound better/more consistent to my ears.

Is there a deeper marketing strategy behind NOT making a few hundred black wax pressings available of a release? Does it make the gimmick colors less "special"?
By NathanLurker
You know, I remember the black pressing of the fog selling out in seconds, because it was the more limited variant. So, maybe color is not the only factor in the marketing plan. I like colored vinyl too and I dont think they sound necessarily inferior as a rule, but I care for the color mostly when it fits the release so much. Like the picture disc of CHUD, so glad to have that. Or the winchester ale colored shaun of the dead. Or the black blair witch, which is the only edition obviously, but I mean, that release in all black is a very proper design.
By EvanCampbell
The issue is that many times with mixed and splattered vinyl is the colors are not always smoothly blended so there are minute surfaces pits and separations. It is an inherent problem when making mixed colored records. Now sometimes it works great but many times it does not. The thing is they look awesome and we love it :)
By Bezulsqy
Listened to my copy today for the first time. Did not know this would be that good. What a fantastic score. (Haven't seen the movie and hadn't heard anything before I bought it).
A bit of surface noise on the first track, but for me it doesn't distract. Beautiful artwork and packaging.