Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
I saw this elsewhere on the World Wide Web and thought I'd share it here. This went out on the Waxwork official Twitter feed a few hours ago and was subsequently taken down:
"We teamed up again with @WEBUYYOURKIDS for a very special upcoming soundtrack release. Here's a sneak peek."

There was also an IG post with the same text, but a much smaller piece of the art to accompany it. That has also been taken down. My initial thoughts were the tweet was deleted because they accidentally showed more of the art than a "sneak peek," but now that the IG post is down as well..who knows? Any thoughts on the piece?
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Bezulsqy
I have no idea. But doing some reverse google image searches I got a hit for The Hunger (1983).

On wikipedia this is posted about the score:

Howard Blake was musical director on The Hunger. Although a soundtrack has been available since the film's release (Varese Sarabande VSD 47261) this issue omits much of the music used in the film – see § Movements. Blake also composed the orchestral score for Flash Gordon (1980) alongside rock band Queen and the Oscar winning animated short film of Raymond Briggs', The Snowman (1982).

Blake's notes on working with director Tony Scott: "Tony wanted to create a score largely using classical music and I researched this, many days going to his home in Wimbledon with stacks of recordings to play to him. One of these was the duet for 2 sopranos from Delibes' Lakmé, which I recorded specially with Elaine Barry and Judith Rees, conducting my orchestra The Sinfonia of London. Howard Shelley joined with Ralph Holmes and Raphael Wallfisch to record the second movement of Schubert's Piano Trio in E flat. Ralph recorded the Gigue from Bach's Violin Partita in E and Raphael the Prelude to Bach's solo cello sonata in G, to which Bowie mimed. I was persuaded to appear in one scene as a pianist, for which I wrote a 'Dolphin Square Blues'. Tony wanted to add a synthesizer score and I introduced him to Hans Zimmer, then working at The Snake Ranch Studio in Fulham but Tony eventually used a score by Michel Rubini and Denny Jaeger with electronics by David Lawson. It is hard however to exactly separate these elements."

What do you think? I haven't seen the movie so I'm not sure if the art references enough of the movie. You have a man in a suit and flowers (Flower duet?). Colours resemble colours in original art a bit... maybe to farfetched?
By Mateo Sanboval
Yep. That is a good posit. The suit and flowers would make some sense there. My cowardly behind actually considered this notion, but I honestly don't remember the score enough to know if it would be worth a release. Someone mentioned Mad Men and folks seemed to think that fit the art a bit as well.
By static14
That does look like it might be Perfect Tommy.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (55.37 KiB) Viewed 14046 times
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote:That does look like it might be Perfect Tommy.
Totally.
By ScoJo
This is awesome news. That's DEFINITELY Tommy in my eyes (and obvs part of a larger piece featuring all the characters...)

Freakin love that film/score! WW will kill it - I just wish someone other than WBYK were tasked with the art tbh, not a big fan sadly. Not complaining tho!

I watch/listen to this every couple of weeks as a motivational tool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqJ3iGBdOo

Quick Goldblum tale.....I met him after a theatre show, exchanged a few words and then I said "ahhh man, I should have bought my Buckaroo Banzai dvd for you to sign!". He stopped and looked at me for a second, then smiled cheekily and said "ahhhhh.........Buckaroo Banzai."

I was like...kill me now Lord.
By Mateo Sanboval
Oh, man, what a great video to wake up to. I never noticed before that when they make the turn to walk past the Buckaroo Banzai graffiti and are joined by a few more characters, that most of them have mysteriously changed clothes. Hilarious
By Hatter313
Banzai would be worth it for the ending track alone. That being said, i would lose my mind if they do the hunger also. especially with this week's sad Monday. I have the original pressing of that score and its really very cool.
By Hatter313
I know this....what the hell is this....i'm not so sharp this morning.
By Hatter313
I don't know. Waxwork tagged it as Sci-fi AND horror, and something keeps telling me that that is Kyle MacLachlan's profile in the first image. so i want to almost say its "The Hidden" which I haven't seen in years so I have no idea if this girl in an apron/maids outfit would fit into that.

If we didn't know TP and FWWM were coming from Spencer i'd almost suggest it was that, i mean am I nuts or is that Kyle MacLachlan's profile? probably won't be in the end but i can't shake it.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:I don't know. Waxwork tagged it as Sci-fi AND horror, and something keeps telling me that that is Kyle MacLachlan's profile in the first image. so i want to almost say its "The Hidden" which I haven't seen in years so I have no idea if this girl in an apron/maids outfit would fit into that.
The Woman looks like she's in an Amish outfit or pioneer clothing, but the Dapper Gent belies the latter notion.
By Hatter313
Oh man, @mateo I think you have something there about the Amish clothing....if it wasn't waxwork I'd be tempted to say Maurice jarre's score to witness, but now I'm thinking of sci fi from the 80s that the Amish or pioneer thing could fit into...maybe horners score to deadly blessing.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:Oh man, @mateo I think you have something there about the Amish clothing....if it wasn't waxwork I'd be tempted to say Maurice jarre's score to witness, but now I'm thinking of sci fi from the 80s that the Amish or pioneer thing could fit into...maybe horners score to deadly blessing.
Not very science fiction-y, but Deadly Blessing is a wicked guess. I thought of Witness as well, but dismissed it for the same reasons.
By Mateo Sanboval
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Hatter313 wrote:Oh man, @mateo I think you have something there about the Amish clothing....if it wasn't waxwork I'd be tempted to say Maurice jarre's score to witness, but now I'm thinking of sci fi from the 80s that the Amish or pioneer thing could fit into...maybe horners score to deadly blessing.
Not very science fiction-y, but Deadly Blessing is a wicked guess. I thought of Witness as well, but dismissed it for the same reasons.
PS - Now that I look again, does the "Amish/Pioneer" gal have heels on? That could change things.
By Bezulsqy
Altered States (1980)

From Wikipedia:
The film score was composed by classical composer John Corigliano (with Christopher Keene conducting) and was nominated for an Academy Award. The film also received an Oscar nomination for Sound, losing to The Empire Strikes Back.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (75.25 KiB) Viewed 13689 times
By ScoJo
@Bezulsqy - excellent call! You've totally convinced me on that image match.

This is getting confusing though, so I'm gonna throw my hat into the ring with a theory (and god knows I've been way off base before in this guessing game of ours, haha) :

These are two different releases that WBYK are working on. Kevin said "80s Sci-Fi" relating to that first teased/removed image, and Altered States is a fully orchestral score.

So...I'm down with BUCKAROO BANZAI and ALTERED STATES. And they both have me throwing my $$s at the computer screen.
By Bezulsqy
Let's hope you are right @Scojo
I think it only is going to be Altered States :-)
I have never seen the movie. Any good?
Attachments
image.png
image.png (259.33 KiB) Viewed 13657 times
By Mateo Sanboval
By Jove, Bezulsqy, I think you've got it! Best whack at the piñata yet.

PS - Despite having a DVD lying around somewhere, I haven't seen Altered States since my youth. Time for a review.
By monsterworship
Altered States to me would seem like an odd choice for a reissue, since the original is easily found on the cheap.
By Bezulsqy
monsterworship wrote:Altered States to me would seem like an odd choice for a reissue, since the original is easily found on the cheap.
True, but I think they will probably have done or found something that makes this stand out from the original. I am not familiar with the original score but Waxwork proud themselves on working with the original masters and some great packaging.