Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Whip Wilson
Well, the deed is done! It took more than a modicum of self control to pass on the other variants, but I cannot wait to spin this blackest circle. Loving how excited folks are in here this morning.

@Disco -Let's find you a nice, quiet patch of high desert country to screen that puppy.
By Volzom Zofbie
Empirically: It's black for me.
By DISCOSUCKS...

Birmingham,UK. After the Antpocalypse.
By hellorockview89
In addition to my subscription copy, I grabbed the blue haze, due to the limited quantity. Ill probably grab the 100% yellow eventually since there's a few more of those to go around.
By dumaisaudio
After seeing that it was blue haze, I went for that one. I like haze effect vinyl more than splatter or splits. Just one copy for me, trying to do that with everything now.
By waxworkrecords
Totally agree with you on the blu-ray release. How Criterion hasn't jumped on this one is a mystery. However, the studio did inform us that a company has recently acquired the film rights and plans to release a blu-ray with the lost ending. Fingers crossed.
By Whip Wilson
[quote=55442]Totally agree with you on the blu-ray release. How Criterion hasn’t jumped on this one is a mystery. However, the studio did inform us that a company has recently acquired the film rights and plans to release a blu-ray with the lost ending. Fingers crossed.[/quote]

By incomplet
Decided to go with classic black. Blue haze would have been awesome but I've had a lot of issues with surface noise on other haze effect records--The Fog stands out from memory.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Wax dudes --

I've just listened to the stream of the LP, with it's sequencing of the music into four "suites"/phases.

It's absolutely glorious.

I can't wait to spin this for real. Who carried out the restoration/sequencing of the music?

This is one release where I'm really praying for extensive sleeve notes on the process of finding this music and how it was put together/who and why the decisions were made. Were any of the original composers around/able to contribute?

Out of the goddamn park, Kevin. I love you guys.

By waxworkrecords
Thanks so much for the kind words, discosucks.

The PHASE IV release is a project that we worked on for over a year. We're truly honored to have made it happen. Being able to work with the Bass kids (who are full grown adults, now) and hear stories about being on the set of the movie / hear about their father, was crazy.

The movie is still sort of an obscure "secret" and we hope that releasing the score will turn some folks onto PHASE IV and Saul Bass' work and legacy.

The audio was super trashed, and J. Yuenger worked hard to bring the tracks back to life. Myself and J. literally sat down and watched the film while simultaneously syncing the audio to make everything flow. The tracks provided to us had no titles, so we agreed breaking the score into four "phases" seemed like a solid approach. Although, Saul Bass' proposed track listing for the unreleased score is included in the 12 page booklet that comes with the LP due in part by us locating numerous letters and correspondence between Bass and Paramount Pictures from the 1970's.
The sleeve notes are awesome and provide some insight on the movie, the score, and the trials Bass faced to create such a movie that was undoubtedly way before its time and outside the parameters of what is accepted from a major studio release.

We really think its a special release, and we hope you feel the same!
By Whip Wilson
Awesome. Truly. I've held off on the stream so far, but it's damn tempting.
By toosoonjunior
I really wish I had gotten a Waxwork sub. :/
By repulsion
This is going to be a hell of a release! I'd say a masterpiece! Can't wait to have it.... The streams sound awesome!
Are there any news about the color variant for the sub release? Will they ship this month?
By Occhionero
Subbers will be receiving a “Celestial Event” variant that mimics the opening credits of the film – Red and yellow splatter wax.

Will be shipped mid March as WW said...
By repulsion
Thx for the info, must have missed it somehow :)
By DISCOSUCKS...
Thanks for the info guys -- has only made me more excited for this.

Btw - as I'm thinking of tying in a 16mm screening here in the UK, can you tell me what the actual release date is for the record please?

By wocket
Waxwork - any idea when us subbers will be getting the digital copy of this? Would love to listen to this in my car--great stuff! Thanks!
By Lino Banfi
So, is this LP taken from the original master tapes? It may be my ears/computer sound, but the samples on Soundcloud sound like they're taken form the film rather than original tape. I know you said the source was not in the best shape, so do you mean that the original tapes were in bad shape?

The reason I ask, is the release blurb doesn't say the usual 'taken from the original master tapes' you'd normally see for a release like this.
By shiptoshore
This is an amazing project. Phase IV is an absolute masterpiece and I'm happy that it now seems to be getting the respect it deserves. Can't wait to spin this and I'm optimistic about a potential blu-ray release.
By dumaisaudio
When is this shipping?
By abedunk
Nothing at Waxwork's site, but Light in the Attic says it ships on 3/24. No guarantee, but a good guess, I think.
By maxlevel
I ordered it from HHV.de has it listed for 3rd april
By Little Walter
There were some of these already available at SXSW in Austin on Tuesday. I almost grabbed one just to get a sneak peek, but didn't as mine is coming in the mail. The artwork up close though . . a wicked looking record!