Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
No interest in Crimson Peak and I need to revisit Se7en's score but I'm actually pretty excited about DotD Library, The Funhouse and The Sentinel

@bez you really should watch The Sentinel, it's wonderful 70's horror
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:54 pm No interest in Crimson Peak and I need to revisit Se7en's score but I'm actually pretty excited about DotD Library, The Funhouse and The Sentinel

@bez you really should watch The Sentinel, it's wonderful 70's horror
Se7en is such an iconic movie that I don't even care how the score sounded for me to want a copy of it :-)
Now I am thinking how I only played the score to Fight Club on vinyl only a couple of times. I listened to that digitally so many times twenty years ago... how times and taste change...

I'll check out The Sentinel for sure!
By reddye6
And Sentinel was composed by the Gil Melle. La-La Land released the score with incidentals on CD back in 2019.
By havershaw
I haven’t subscribed in a few years but so far I’m excited for 4/6 of these, so I guess I’ll probably cough up the dough.

I can’t remember how much subs have been in the past - $200 or $250?
6 records instead of 5, all 2xLPs except one 3xLP - sounds like at least $400 to me. I won’t be too surprised if it’s more.
By Bezulsqy
havershaw wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:18 pm I haven’t subscribed in a few years but so far I’m excited for 4/6 of these, so I guess I’ll probably cough up the dough.

I can’t remember how much subs have been in the past - $200 or $250?
6 records instead of 5, all 2xLPs except one 3xLP - sounds like at least $400 to me. I won’t be too surprised if it’s more.
last sub was $295 for international customers. That includes all the shipping. I think US was 225 or something. I am guessing this year: 300 and 400 international...
By bpwlogan
I'm going to sit this one out the pressing quality has gone down hill with them especially on the last sub the only release I received on the last one that had no defects was TCM2 killer klowns was pretty bad. If they drop some cds on the new sub releases I'll be in. It's too bad because they have some great titles coming up.
By NathanLurker
bpwlogan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:09 pm I'm going to sit this one out the pressing quality has gone down hill with them especially on the last sub the only release I received on the last one that had no defects was TCM2 killer klowns was pretty bad. If they drop some cds on the new sub releases I'll be in. It's too bad because they have some great titles coming up.
Just to make sure, you know they'll send replacements for the subbers' Killer Klowns ? We don't know when but the subscriber's edition is so noisy, they have confirmed they're repressing it for the subbers.
By bpwlogan
@Nathan I did read that somewhere about a repress of the sub Killer Klowns and I guess that they are opening up a pressing plant too. I wish them well but IMHO their QC has gone downhill in the past 18 months or so. The last really good pressing I received from them was the Godzilla set. I've gotten every sub from the get go and overall they were pretty good except for the last one. I guess the sub repress is going to be a different color variant from the original too. Hope it's a great sub and the upcoming releases are really tempting for sure.
By ScoJo
tim28212 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:18 pm I was wondering what would constitute a 2LP release of The Funhouse. I imagine the track listing will be very similar to the new Intrada CD release.
Thanks Tim.

“Following are numerous extras featuring carnival music, calliope tunes, assorted cues scored by Beal and used as “source music” as teens stroll throughout carnival.”

Haha, an extra lp of calliope? Super hard pass from me, will stick with my fun Dark Forces wax :)
By inksb
Yeah I have the Dark Forces LP as well and will be waiting til these land and there's some one who can confirm there's no pressing issues and an uptick in sound quality before I'll throw money at it.
By deafmetal
I am going to offer some kind words for WW which have been few from me lately. I previously bought the big Shōwa era Godzilla OST box set from them. I thought it would probably arrived all crushed with seam splits and damage similar other large mail order box sets from some other big names. WW took the time to properly pack the set inside the shrinkwrap to survive shipping along with shipping in an oversized mailer with extra bubble wrap. On top of that, all eighteen vinyl discs were found in Mofi OG Master rice paper sleeves. I was really impressed by this and compared to other record stores on Discogs shipping box sets it was night and day. I have ordered some sets that have arrived beat up with the sleeves wrecked from bouncing around inside the box while the seller ignored all shipping instructions.

I know many of you have had issues with pressing plant quality with WW (Killer Klowns again, right?), but the stars seem to have aligned on this Godzilla box. I have only picked up two albums since the big box and not experienced any issues, but I went for another box set from them again with the 6LP Aeon Flux release. Once again, they have impressed me with the attention to detail to ship these safely with oversized mailers and extra bubble wrap:

The inclusion of the extra sheet of cardboard inside the box itself is what is really doing the job here. I wish more people paid attention to details like this. Also, check out the size of that liner note booklet:

I don't really need extra sugar but appreciate the info and note:

The release itself is excellent. The pressing quality is reminiscent of the Godzilla box as even the vinyl color/pattern looks similar so I'm wondering if it's from the same plant. The sound is quite good so far (disc 2) and the pressing sounds very good to my ears. No Mofi OG Master inner sleeves this time but poly-lined inners at least. Each LP sleeve has full glossy print on each side. The massive booklet with Peter Chung forward and various artwork is great for this obsessive and likely others, but the liner notes with comments from composer Drew Neumann on each episode is what it's all about. *cough*

Very excited to see this level of effort here from WW. Highly recommended. I see some shops are selling under retail on the 'cogs if you want to risk their incompetence... I also note that WW went all-in on this and released a 3CD with the liner notes shrunk down for a 40-page booklet size.
By ScoJo
It's a funny thing - I was massively into Aeon Flux (and MTVs Liquid Television in general.... "Invisible Hands"!!) and initially I was really excited to see this box set happening. So I hit up a Youtube video which had the complete music soundtrack and had it on while I was working, and I realised that while the music works fine in the series and is, in fact, integral to the whole vibe of it, I just didn't like it as 'music'/a standalone listen. It's just not my thing, the sounds themselves and that it's really quite samey - I just couldn't imagine ploughing through six LPs of it more than even once. Not to besmirch anybody who likes the music in any way (I wouldn't buy as lot of video game/anime music for the same reason, especially not on wax).

So I guess what I think with this one is, I would've been happy with a 7" of the main theme and some other pieces all wrapped up in that gorgeous booklet! ;)
By deafmetal
@ScoJo - Fair opinion for sure. I used to go on long drives with a copy of Neumann's Eye Spy album which is something of an unofficial OST. This stuff just hits me right. I cannot even count how many times I have listened to it. It's like listening to myself think at times which may say more about what bounces around inside my head all day. In that regard, I enjoy some of the more episodic or repetitive themes of the material which I would not consider a negative. Not much else sounds exactly like this material in the realm of anime or video game music of which I have sampled quite a lot. Neumann has an alien brain.
By ScoJo
Sounds awesome @deaf, that you forged a connection with the music outside of the show - can't imagine what a thrill this set is for you.

I haven't completely written it off as a future purchase because fuckit man, I loved it when I first saw it (I had every ep recorded onto a well-worn VHS tape waaaay before there was a DVD release) and that booklet looks insane. I might also look into any background/process vids by the composer, that might be my way in to appreciating it on a different level.