Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
tim28212 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:15 pm
ScoJo wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:42 pm
NathanLurker wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:30 pm I read Doctor Sleep too, and didn't watch the movie. I would watch it, but I just have other stuff I want to watch more ( these days I'm going through Gamera boxset, Godzilla boxsetand Jackie Chan collection from 88 films). Doctor Sleep is more of a dark fantasy book than a Horror/haunting book, so that was never going to please everyone I think. But if you're doing dark fantasy, Flanagan seems like a good choice to adapt that. It's just not gonna be the same as Shining. Expectations were always going to be a burden on Doctor Sleep.
That's very true @Nate, though my own issue with the film was not that it wasn't straight horror (though there are plenty of genuinely horrific things in it!) but primarily it was because of how much it kept reminding you about Kubrick's film, rather than doing it's own thing.
Agree with @Scojo on this. I thought it was a pretty good film until the last third where so much of it was referencing back to Kubrick movie.
I think he was between a bit of a rock and a hard place there, but i didn't hate what he did.
By Hatter313
Has anyone else experienced an even greater shipping delay from waxwork lately. and i mean more than whats to be expected in these "unprecedented times"

Everything from them in the last 6 months has taken around a month to get here, whereas i've had plenty of stuff that is maybe taking a few extra day, maybe a week or so, because of back log. for example i guess they sent out calendars related to the sub last month, mine has just been lost in Nashville for a week and a half, and took almost a week and half to get there in the first place. I've had to put alerts on nearly every single waxwork package in the last few months, whereas i've had stuff come from further much quicker. (I'm assuming its the calendar based on what someone else here posted, i really have no idea what it is i just know its sub related)

the only two outliers in the last few months have been edward sissorhands got here in like 24 hours and my bride spinature in a few days, nearly everything else form them has been a month or more.

I know shipping is nuts everywhere, but i've definitely noticed a particular issue with anything coming from waxwork, maybe a New Orleans issue?
By inksb
I've had plenty of funky stuff going on with shipping in the US. It seems that most stuff coming from the South or West coast just get stuck at hubs for weeks on end. I had a package from LA ship in the last week of December and it took 4 weeks to get to me. Two weeks of that time it sat in one hub.

Even last week I had a package that shipped from a city 25 miles from my house get sent to NJ, PA then back to NY. Like what is even happening?
By havershaw
I had a lot of problems like this in Jan maybe (and I’m still waiting for 2 orders of records from Germany that I ordered around Black Friday!).

Lately though it’s been weirdly fast. My distribution center here (Phoenix) is infamous for having stuff sit there for a loooong time and Jan was the worst. Seems like lately things have been pretty fast.

I will say that it seems like things sit on “shipping label created” for like a week and then suddenly they’re in Phoenix. It’s been weird.
By reddye6
Like everyone else, I'm still seeing a mix of quite speedy, quite slow, and quite "why the hell has this been sitting in Package Pending Acceptance for a month?" And the same from Germany -- have a CD order from early December that the artist said was just sitting at the post office, and I have a record from Private Records that I'm now assuming I'll never see.
By inksb
reddye6 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:26 pm Like everyone else, I'm still seeing a mix of quite speedy, quite slow, and quite "why the hell has this been sitting in Package Pending Acceptance for a month?" And the same from Germany -- have a CD order from early December that the artist said was just sitting at the post office, and I have a record from Private Records that I'm now assuming I'll never see.
Germany in particular is a mess if they are using German postal service. Anything that ships Fedex from German arrives on my doorstep with in 10 days. I had a record I ordered from Germany ship on Oct 22 and it arrived mid January. That's wild, 3 months of just being in the shipping system somewhere.
By reddye6
inksb wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:36 pm
reddye6 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:26 pm Like everyone else, I'm still seeing a mix of quite speedy, quite slow, and quite "why the hell has this been sitting in Package Pending Acceptance for a month?" And the same from Germany -- have a CD order from early December that the artist said was just sitting at the post office, and I have a record from Private Records that I'm now assuming I'll never see.
Germany in particular is a mess if they are using German postal service. Anything that ships Fedex from German arrives on my doorstep with in 10 days. I had a record I ordered from Germany ship on Oct 22 and it arrived mid January. That's wild, 3 months of just being in the shipping system somewhere.
For the CD order that I have (two releases from Cosmic Ground), the artist was saying that there is a good chance that the orders would be shipped by boat, taking up to three months. Crazy.
By havershaw
@inks that gives me some hope though. I started wondering if they’d ever show up. I’ve lost the tracking for them so I don’t even know if they’re in the US.

It’s nice that the shipping is so cheap (it’s been about 8€) but yeah 2-3 months is a little crazy.
On the other hand, I bought another record 10 days ago from Germany with the same shipping cost (with a warning from the seller that it could take months) and it’s out for delivery today! But still no sign of the other 2 lots of records from Black Friday.
By havershaw
Ok this spurred me to go back and find the tracking numbers (they were old enough that they had dropped off my USPS app) and coincidentally, the older of the 2 orders (by a week) actually arrived in my city today, so I assume it’ll be delivered today (though it’s weirdly not marked as such).

Shipped Dec 1, arrived in the US Feb 7.
By CrossedPete
For me WW always takes about three weeks to a month for me to get my items. For instance my sub copy of Henry was shipped on Jan 13 and I just got it on Tuesday or Wednesday I think.

I’ve been on the fence if I wanted to share this on the forum and this feed is certainly not really the right place to post but it kinda fits with the convo. So here goes:

First things first I’m not going to name names and second as far as I know this has nothing to do with anyone on this forum. Like most of you I like to buy records and I like various types of music. I started following some dude on one of the big social media websites. He makes his own lps and I was excited about a bunch of his releases (in total I’ve ordered 6 different things so far) a bunch are still in the process of being made and I get that it takes time and I’m in no rush. I got a shipping notice for one of the items on dec 7 last year. I then received a second notice on the 27th of December for a different item. I checked the tracking on the first item at that time as I ordered something else( I think that Carpenter skeleton single) around that time and it came in. Anyway I checked my tracking and it stated the item was ready to ship. I thought maybe because it was Christmas time the USPS was just too busy and never scanned in the item. I waited a week or so just in case checked again and still no movement. I contacted the seller and he told me the label was created on the 8th and he hasn’t shipped it yet. I thought that was weird but I had faith hoping I wasn’t getting scammed. Meanwhile that second shipping notice was for something different checked that tracking number and that item actually shipped and it was close. That came in and it sounds great so I still had hope that I will get my item. Cut to Jan 22 or so checked again still no movement on the original item so I emailed again basically asking why and any info would be appreciated. He took a couple days to reply. Now I get it’s hard to get inflection and tone based on reading a email but I felt his response came off very snarky. He stated he is only one person and it’s hard to do everything by himself. I apologized and told him I’ll put my patient pants on. My brother says I’m such a Canadian being way to nice. Now it’s over the 2 month mark and still nothing. At this point I’m ready to say fuck it and cancel all my existing orders. I get making records take time and I would never bug someone but I think the fact he printed a shipping label I assumed it was on the way. I just want my item I paid for but I’m not sure that will happen. Like I said I don’t think this person is on this forum and I don’t like to spill dirty laundry but sorry not sorry send me my record.

Sorry to blow up this feed I know one lucky member has already heard this story and he gave me good advice I just did nothing with it. Anyways I’m hopeful it will show up at some point? Am I being crazy? As much as I want these records I think I might have to cancel existing orders. At least I feels good getting it out there like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
By Mateo Sanboval
Holy smokes, is Waxwork's cover art just atrocious or what? I scanned the first page of their vinyl section and, outside fo Godzilla and Bride, there isn't a sleve that's not laughably bad or tossed off looking. Are they even trying anymore?
By inksb
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:41 pm Holy smokes, is Waxwork's cover art just atrocious or what? I scanned the first page of their vinyl section and, outside fo Godzilla and Bride, there isn't a sleve that's not laughably bad or tossed off looking. Are they even trying anymore?
I think it's a case of trying too hard?
By ScoJo
Following @mateo's comment, I need to say something too, on related subject.

This is a personal bugbear of mine, but the Alice overall artwork falls into the catagory of LPs that I just wish were single pocket sleeves. Why? Well couple of reasons.

Of all the modern labels, there are very few releases that I feel like what they did with the gatefold format warranted it's use- and extra expense. I prefer a gatefold centre spread that feels used for adding stuff that's really interesting or creative - extensive liner notes, behind scenes or recording session shots, lobby cards and related ephemera etc etc.

Alice is a perfect example of what I find offputting - inner art that feels cheap, tacky, extraneous or plain just a waste of two large panels. I would have been sooo much happier with single sleeve of the front/back art as-is, and for the whole thing to cost like $4-5 less. Cuz that's the other thing - gatefold obviously costs more. So maybe, just decide to go that route if the particular album really warrants it/you have lots of cool stuff you want to squeeze in.

As I say, my own little quirk and am probably in minority - because more is more, right??! ;)
By vinyljunkie
ScoJo wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:02 pm Following @mateo's comment, I need to say something too, on related subject.

This is a personal bugbear of mine, but the Alice overall artwork falls into the catagory of LPs that I just wish were single pocket sleeves. Why? Well couple of reasons.

Of all the modern labels, there are very few releases that I feel like what they did with the gatefold format warranted it's use- and extra expense. I prefer a gatefold centre spread that feels used for adding stuff that's really interesting or creative - extensive liner notes, behind scenes or recording session shots, lobby cards and related ephemera etc etc.

Alice is a perfect example of what I find offputting - inner art that feels cheap, tacky, extraneous or plain just a waste of two large panels. I would have been sooo much happier with single sleeve of the front/back art as-is, and for the whole thing to cost like $4-5 less. Cuz that's the other thing - gatefold obviously costs more. So maybe, just decide to go that route if the particular album really warrants it/you have lots of cool stuff you want to squeeze in.

As I say, my own little quirk and am probably in minority - because more is more, right??! ;)
Completely agree with you on this Scojo! On a side note, anyone know where to hear this score or have a digital copy??? Such a great film!
By inksb
I pretty much agree with you @scojo. A single LP I would prefer in a standard jacket and if you want to give cool stuff like additional art, liner notes, behind the scenes photos, I prefer them on an insert that's double sided or even gatefold for that. Gatefold's also tale up precocious space that I'm limited on.
By havershaw
Yeah I agree on the gatefold.

And while I know a lot of these artists who are doing these covers are talented, I really feel like using production materials (whether it’s from the original advertising campaign, or a still from the film that’s particularly iconic) would be way better.

I’m not buying this stuff for the artwork anyway, so it’s not the end of the world for me. But I feel like some of these (the recent otherwise excellent mono Halloween release being a very prime example) are really missing the mark and they feel like weird fan art. (Plus, in that exact example, literally nothing in that artwork, including the gatefold, are “iconic” images from the film, since none of what’s pictured there is ever seen in the film!)
By CrossedPete
My favourite waxwork releases are the ones like Taxi Driver or The Warriors where they reissue the OST on one disk and the complete score on the other. Makes sense those would be gate fold, but yeah any single LP releases it is a little silly to have a gatefold. I just thought companies like WW probably do this because they want there spines to be more prominent on your shelf. Not sure if they even think about the spines but im sure probably do. At least with waxwork they give you a proper gatefold that’s finished correctly.
By Hatter313
I tell ya man, I used to really be into the artwork across all these labels, certain artists notwithstanding, but lately I just don't care anymore. Also this recent drive towards originals for me has kind of cured me of the boutique label binge I had going for a while. (read; last 8 years...wow)

That being said, i kinda like the Alice artwork, but agree on the unneeded gatefold.

One of their best packages was Creepshow 2, not only is Gary Pullin the exact right artist for that release, the gatefold had great purpose and liner notes etc. I still think that its one of their all time great releases.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:51 pm I tell ya man, I used to really be into the artwork across all these labels, certain artists notwithstanding, but lately I just don't care anymore. Also this recent drive towards originals for me has kind of cured me of the boutique label binge I had going for a while. (read; last 8 years...wow)

That being said, i kinda like the Alice artwork, but agree on the unneeded gatefold.

One of their best packages was Creepshow 2, not only is Gary Pullin the exact right artist for that release, the gatefold had great purpose and liner notes etc. I still think that its one of their all time great releases.
That Creepshow 2 (and indeed the first album) are perfect examples for me - love them, they are fun and detailed and creative, packed with stuff to pore over. This Alice example (and many others from lots of labels, esp DW/Mongo) just strike me as artist just filling space with an idea having clme up with a cool/agreed front design. It all feels very 'afterthought' and weak and unecessary for me.
By Bezulsqy
I have to say that I really do love the spines of the Waxwork and Terror Vision releases. The Mondo / DWRC gatefolds I don’t like. Too small/flimsy. As far as artwork goes I don’t really care. In the end we all know the you can’t beat the Japanese OG alternative art :-)
By Hatter313
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:59 am I have to say that I really do love the spines of the Waxwork and Terror Vision releases. The Mondo / DWRC gatefolds I don’t like. Too small/flimsy. As far as artwork goes I don’t really care. In the end we all know the you can’t beat the Japanese OG alternative art :-)
Ha!

Terror vision stuff always looks good to me even if I don’t always go for what he sells, but he has a VERY specific aesthetic that’s a lot of fun and it’s reflected in his releases. I bought a pile of t shirts from him over the summer just to support.

DW old spine style with the quotes was cool, do they not do that at all anymore?
By ScoJo
The Bride has arrived! Huge thanks to @RevOcelot for snagging for me and sending my way, well worth the wait - it's quite lovely. Turned up at the exact right time to qualify as a bday gift to myself :)

Again, I would love a non-Spinny Thingy version of this sculpt as a larger vinyl bust, around 8inch height would be amazing. I'd go 50 bucks for such a wonder.

FullSizeRender(2).jpg
FullSizeRender(2).jpg (975.37 KiB) Viewed 3914 times