Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Wow. First, it should not be understated how exciting it is to see a new One Way Static release coming our way after some time off and post-merger. Second, Metropolis is truly an iconic and endlessly influential piece of art. I find its visuals moving and the Huppertz score is fantastic. I am also a sucker for the various new musics associated with the film over the years. Many of my favorite films owe much to Metropolis. Third and finally, that video clip sounds (and of course looks) amazing. I'm quite interested to see how much music Metavari has composed for this. This is a really cool announcement.
By reddye6
I can't remember -- is this release part of the Static Club, or is it separate?
By chiefbrody
@mateo said it all. I'll back that up 100%.

@red, Static Club is no more. This is a RSD release, and probably the first one I've seen that I'm absolutely on board with. I say that now, and then the night before I'll be counting 16 different releases on my 'must have' and 'want' lists!
By NathanLurker
only the bonus item is missing from the static club subscription. I believe the titles from the subscription were MARK OF THE DEVIL, CANDYMAN 2, PAPAYA LOVE GODDESS OF THE CANNIBALS, and THE BURNING. So yeah, only the missing bonus item.

I am very interested in this new Metropolis release, looks amazing from the preview clip !
By chiefbrody
Very true @Nathan, I forgot about the bonus item when I said it was 'no more'. Looking forward to finding out what it is.
By reddye6
chiefbrody wrote:@red, Static Club is no more. This is a RSD release, and probably the first one I've seen that I'm absolutely on board with. I say that now, and then the night before I'll be counting 16 different releases on my 'must have' and 'want' lists!
Thanks! I knew about the Static Club going away, but the release reference was sticking in my brain that I'd heard it before but couldn't place it. I thought that maybe there was one more SC release. However, this release was on that early list of RSD records that went up here and then came back down. Thank you for the memory jog!
Last edited by reddye6 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By deafmetal
chiefbrody wrote:@mateo said it all. I'll back that up 100%.
Fully agreed. Long live OWS.
Full details :

METROPOLIS ‘AN ORIGINAL RE-SCORE BY METAVARI' 

Metavari is the stage name of Indiana-based electronic musician Nathaniel David Utesch and is best described as the intersection of nostalgic electronics, ambient soundscapes and off-kilter synth pop music. Since 2008, Metavari have toured extensively in the US; sharing the stage with notable acts such as This Will Destroy You, Maserati, Tortoise, Titus Andronicus, Anamanaguchi, The Appleseed Cast & Small Black.

Nathaniel is also publisher of the art and fiction zine, Ferocious Quarterly; and as one half of the Secretly Group art department has designed packaging for bands such as Suuns, Foxygen, Jens Lekman, Julianna Barwick and Tim Heidecker. It comes as no surprise that Nathaniel also took upon him the art direction for this release, all in the 1927 spirit & tradition of Fritz Lang’s Metropolis.

Musically it all plays out like a dream, filled with midnight joyrides in stunt cars from Miami Vice. “Imagine Tangerine Dream’s Edgar Froese at the wheel, David Lynch rummaging the glove compartment for matches and Phil Collins bound in the trunk.“

It all fits on here: hints of Twin Peaks, John Carpenter, the reoccurring Metropolis themes in combination with sparse live drums, an alto saxophone, vocals and the sounds of a 1981 ARP Odyssey Mark III. The sweet electro-pop tunes could easily underscore the next Nicolas Winding Refn film. Also, did we mention the fantastic homage to Lindsey Buckingham’s ‘Trouble’?

The Metropolis re-score started as a cinema-commission & was performed alongside the film for a sold-out audience on Art House Theater Day 2016. 

Now it comes to vinyl for the first time, exclusively for Record Store Day 2017. Gorgeously packaged as a double LP edition with gold-foiled jacket artwork. Strictly limited to 1000 copies and a download card will also be included.

Available in participating record stores WORLDWIDE on April 22th (Record Store Day). Make sure you bug your local record store to stock this so that you have easy access to them.
Attachments
Metropolis frontcover.jpg
Metropolis frontcover.jpg (375.38 KiB) Viewed 7409 times
By texasvinyl
Looks cool, will have to make sure my shop orders for me ;)
By Mateo Sanboval
Sold!

PS - A much fuller picture is presented in this newer video from OWS.
By craiged
Have told my local store that I'll be looking to pick it up from them
By layneharvey
gonna be picking up that Metropolis fo sho. i'll have to have a listen to the cobra verde. not familiar with that score.
METROPOLIS (An Original Re-Score by Metavari)

Limited leftover quantities of this #RSD17 release is now available to order from Light In The Attic Records

Wherever you are in the world, we suggest you take advantage of the above because shops around the world are pretty much cleaned out. Alternatively, you can turn to Discogs for some reasonably priced copies.

www.lightintheattic.net