Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By seb
Thx NMA, noted!

Requests are accepted on this thread...shoot!
By monsterworship
There is a liquid sky Varese sarabande release that is easy to get.
By albatard
Thanks @monster, think i'll get it as i don't have many hopes in a reissue.
By deathwaltz
we wre in touch with the director of LS.
There may be a Blu in the works (as well as the sequel)
By static14
@Spencer so are you saying we shouldn't go chasing down the Varese release? ;)
By albatard
@Spencer thanks for the info!!
don't know what to think about a Liquid Sky sequel...hope that'll see the light one day!
By repulsion
still NIGHTMARE !!!
By Ptflea2
I second The Hitcher!
By texasvinyl
I don't think it's as good a fit for OWS as it would be for Sacred Bones, Music on Vinyl or possibly Mondo/DW, but I have to add Lost Highway to every wishlist or request thread. I don't have $450 to buy the Simply Vinyl edition!

I'd love nothing more than a bad ass deluxe treatment for Lost Highway... Ken Taylor cover... challenge a pressing plant to successfully pull off a "yellow striped asphalt" colored vinyl. Of course lots of liner notes from Lynch & Badalamenti. And ideally it would include The Mortal Coil song that was left off of the original.

By seb
Been looking for the BSF masters for a while...hard to find :(
By seb
I love The Hitcher and it would make a great OWS release
By seb
As much as I love Lost Highway, I think it would look better with Mondo or Sacred Bones!
By Spun out of control
Actually this all throws up an interesting question... what is the whole ethos behind the OWS label - the trashier end of sci fi and horror perhaps, as opposed to the more cult-y likes of Death Waltz, and the slightly more US score focused Mondo and Waxwork...?

Having a hard time putting my finger on just what would constitute a 'typical' OWS release - been pretty eclectic so far.

Like to hear the label's own thoughts on how they decide what to put on 'wax'.... :)

In the meantime there's this, perhaps:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0xZw-2pOQo[/video]
By seb
The short answer would be : it's just me listening to/revisiting scores and watching movies and releasing whatever I WANT to release.

And that's no lie but I guess it's a bit more elaborated than that…

OWS has a very BROAD taste, this goes from Italian to slasher to cult, from the sixties to the present day… but it also has its limits. A classy thing like Philip Glass is totally fit for OWS but Lost Highway would be 'too' classy if that makes sense?

There are limits to the OWS concept and we imposed these limits on ourselves. It works both ways, some things are just too trashy/cheesy/low budget for OWS too. We're kinda in the middle of the spectrum.

I like a lot of non-horror soundtracks too. Things like say 'Watership Down'… but there is no way I could release that on OWS, if I want to expand to such releases I need to start a new label.

Mondo for example can do more things, they are even broader (from Jurassic Park to releases like The Beyond) … but then again I feel they might have restraints with the aesthetics of a certain title, they have to make that work somehow too. And that's no bad thing… that's just their thing and it works.

There was no plan or method when we started OWS, it kinda evolved the way it did. You have to understand that we pioneered this thing together with DW. That was almost 3 years ago, time flies. It was a search on how and what to do. Me and Spencer kinda put down the blue print for labels who are getting into this 'horror' 'cult' whatever soundtrack revival thing.

and I'm not saying this to get all 'elite' and stuff, it's just the truth…shops and distributors took chances with our releases and saw that it sold like hotcakes, so now new labels profit from us paving the way on the field of distribution, exposure, press, hype…whatever. Take this forum for example, me and Spencer started it up with a handful of posters and now a new label just has to post one thing here to reach thousands.

And that's all good ! Most of them are my friends and we even sell their releases. It's a good thing.
Just saying all this and pointing out the origins of OWS to the people on here who weren't with us from the start.

Hope this makes some sense, love to talk about these thingies :-)

Seb

By toosoonjunior
@seb, and I love hearing about how this business works. Thanks for sharing! :)
By Spun out of control
Ditto - many thanks for the response Seb. Very interesting.

I'm no closer to being able to predict what you might release next and whether I'll like it, but maybe that unpredictability is your USP!

Here's a couple more suggestions for vinyl releases: Mario Bava's Blood & Black Lace (coming out on Arrow video this year)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4h9HEpplb8[/video]

And the same director's Bay of Blood (sounding very cool):

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0G8rzMlVhY[/video]