Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By hellorockview89
@emlschif I don't actually own the movie, so I'm hoping I can find it somewhere on VOD. I wish I could make the Alamo Draft house screening event. such a cool idea! :)
By nrs24985
Maybe the mods could answer this, but since there seems to be an overwhelming amount of people looking to trade for whatever version they couldn't get, to avoid the inevitable 50 odd trade request threads popping up, there's at least 4 or 5 already, would it be possible to merge them into a single Cannibal Holocaust vinyl buddy/trading thread to keep it all in one place?

Anyway got the deluxe which is what I wanted, I wish it had Mondo's centre label, but you can't win them all, the extras on the deluxe release made it the obvious choice for me, really appreciate them including the artwork to the other two releases as bonus posters.

Like many her I am beyond stoked to finally have this coming to me in vinyl, this movie is one of my all time favourite horror films and the score is incredible, as you all know, this was a long time coming and it shows in the care given to this release, massive thanks to DW, OWS and Mondo for bring this to us!

Also, if you haven't seen this film and are put off by the animal stuff, you should put any squeamishness aside and give it a go, it's a great film, and the animal deaths, while graphic, are only a small part of the film, and aside from the turtle part are all over pretty quickly. As reprehensible as it is to think of this being done in modern times, with all the special effects capabilities available, you have to put these scenes into context, seeing real animals killed adds a certain gravity and reality to the film. Psychologically, the effect of watching real animals being killed tends to add a stronger sense of reality to the staged human deaths, regardless of how obviously fake they may appear.
By gojikranz88
is the poster in the deluxe the same are as the cover of the valentines? the wording was a little odd as the valentines says exclusive poster. how do posters vary if it is the same art or is their a whole other bit of art to be revealed?

thanks!
By seb
Valentine version has a big fold out poster

Deluxe has two 12x12 art prints featuring the GH art and the Jock Mondo art!
By gojikranz88
i see thanks for the clarification!
By filmsonwax
Graham's artwork is exceptional, it really conjures up the feel of the film the way I remember it.
By Dollarhyde
I stopped watching the movie halfway through.

I didn't like the fact they used documentory footage of human executions. It's not the footage itself but more the way that they are using it. Also the supposed poor treatment of natives acting in the film. This along with the animal deaths made me pass.

was frustrating as the cinematography was great and the mockumentory set up was a genius idea.

And of course the music
By philball1974
Do you think the turtle death is worse than the buffalo in apocalypse now?

Is it more the fact it was unnecessary whereas the buffalo was getting chopped up anyway?

Just to be clear I'm not into animals getting harmed in anyway, just interesting how there's lots of people disturbed by the animal death rather than graphic gang rape.
By Dollarhyde
I didnt see the turtle death. but the animal death I did see, The attitude of the shot was like, hey! check this out an animal being killed! wooo ... then cut back to story.
By philball1974
I remember reading that the film traumatised a few of the actors. Fucked up really.
By scottyboy71
That's an interesting point. I've never seen Cannibal Holocaust because of the animal killings but I put Apocalypse Now up there in my top five. I suppose the fact that they filmed a ritualistic slaughter as a pose to setting it up for the film does make it more palatable but frankly I'd rather it wasn't there. I just think Apocalypse Now is just such a fucking brilliant film I look past the buffalo getting chopped up, which is perhaps what people feel about Cannibal Holocaust.
The pigs getting stabbed in the Hearts of Darkness documentary is far worse.
By deathwaltz
I really never thought I'd get this score. Both myself and Seb chased this for a while and all leads were dead.
It took a contact in Italy to call up Mrs Ortolani and begin the process of introducing myself and DW to the family and making sure they knew we'd treat it with respect.

I am amazed at how many people here haven't seen the film, actually I am more shocked by that than anything in the film.

All of the animal murders are graphic but they are supposed to be , also these were not just killed for thrills on screen they were eaten afterward by the local tribes used in the film (don't forget the scenes of the cast enjoying the killing was neccessary to convey the motiovations of their characters) It's a super complex film when you strip away the murder and animal deaths and works on many dig=fferent levels.
I also think judging the film today on a first time viewing in 2015 is pretty hard and not something you can really do.

One thing you can't argue about is that this score is one of the finest masterpieces ever created for cinema never mind horror cinema. It a towering beast of a score, the synth decay tones alone give me the shivers and the vinyl sounds bloody amazing if I say so myself.
By static14
@Spencer I agree 100% on the score. It's one I've loved forever, and I never really understood how no one issued it on vinyl either on the films initial release, or in the following years. Thank you for finally pressing this album.

I have issues with the animal stuff in the movie but I'm also a vegetarian for closing in on 20 years, so I'm definitely biased. :) One thing I will say is that films, music, books, and art are all subjective. That's also maybe the main reason that they're so important. One work meaning a million different things to a million different people.... That's something.

Also please let us know what albums you've found in Japan! I'm guessing quite a few treasures. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
By Ignatius
I'm not sure you can so easily handwave the animal killings. They certainly serve a narrative purpose, and Deodato uses the clear reality of the animal deaths to make the later deaths of human characters appear just as real by comparison. But I'm not sure Deodato's cleverness excuses the acts themselves; animal cruelty was such an established element of the genre that it would have been included either way, and he had no problem using it for shock effect in Last Cannibal World.

It's not the animal killings themselves that bother me so much as Deodato's transparent claims that he didn't want to include them in the first place. He goes out of his way in recent interviews to blame the producers and say he was forced into it (hilariously, in his audio commentary for Last Cannibal World he claims the crocodile butchering scene was shot by the producers in a Singapore warehouse and inserted into the film against his wishes, which would make his producers amazing filmmakers as the scene matches the rest of Deodato's location footage perfectly). I really don't think that someone who was totally happy pressuring actors into risking their lives was particularly bothered by offing a few critters, and it's watching him clumsily back-pedal that really annoys me.

My personal feelings about Deodato aside, Cannibal Holocaust really is a brilliant film. You're right that there's so much subtext to unpack, but more than that it's one of the few films of the era that feels genuinely ahead of its time, and still packs a massive impact. While awaiting the release of the soundtrack a few months back a friend and I marathoned Deodato's loose 'jungle trilogy', and CH is every bit as horrifying as I remembered it. We both just sat in silence for a while after it finished, and I can't really blame anyone for not wanting to subject themselves to it.

Part of the reason it's so good is because Deodato is a really talented director, but it really is Ortolani's score that makes it so unsettling. It constantly wrong-foots you, and sonically there's absolutely nothing else like it. It's an absolute fucking masterpiece and I'm so glad DW and OWS put in the hard work to give it the release it deserves.
By Hatter313
I like the point about the subtext, I think that the way it treats the relationship between the crew and the natives is why I have given what little I've seen a shot. Iand I've always been intrigued by the film, but I've lost my gore stomach over the years to watch the whole thing. I listened to the score last night, really beautiful work and I absolutely understand the Grail status this has among a lot of people. Maybe one day I'll give it a shot, and perhaps I'll have to wimp out and watch it without the animal deaths. I guess my issue with it is that it's real and I lose my sense of fantasy with it.

That being said, to Spencer, Seb, Justin, and all the awesome people you work with, thanks for bringing out such great stuff for us all here! The last few years have been incredible for soundtrack lovers and cult movie nuts, and I hope it keeps getting better! And yeah, those facebookers are seriously off thier rockers.
By deafmetal
I want to post another thank you to Seb & Spencer for pulling off a Cannibal Holocaust vinyl LP release. It sounds like it was quite an ordeal to achieve, but the results look great. I really like Graham Humphreys' artwork, and the design of the deluxe gatefold is appealing to me. CH is one the best and most discombobulating scores, especially when viewed with the film.
By boothaevens
Just wondering: now that the huge Cannibal Holocaust record is off the '(love) to do' list is from DW/OWS. Is there another release that has that same status? Or is there a now an incredible gap so to say?

Anyway, really realy looking forward to get this one in my hands!

---
Music blog on collecting vinyl: https://boothaevens.wordpress.com/

(latest post is on: One Way Static)
By philball1974
Yeah Spencer is going to blow us all a way when he pulls out the lost tapes of Delia Derbyshire's The Legend of Hell House!
By Peek-a-boo
I can't confess to having a very good knowledge of film & I don't really know many of the films of the scores that get reissued by labels on this forum.

But I kind of enjoy coming at these soundtracks from purely a musical perspective. It means that I don't have any bias in my opinion. I'm sure if you really love a film, you might love the score that bit more than if it was standalone music?

It's great to hear the background on this release, and the enthusiasm of all the real heads who love CH.

It's an education for me personally.
By scottydoo
any USA members having trouble aquiring the DW/OWS Red version i have just put it up for preorder on my shops website

see the like below
Crash Records Preorder
By chiefbrody
Thanks for the link Frizzle, quite interesting.

I listened to the score for the first time this morning - not the new vinyl, obviously. As I've said, I watched the movie once, and suspect I may never do again, so the score was essentially all new to me.

It's a really great score, and I look forward to receiving my Deluxe version, though I decided to just add it to my Static Club package, which I think is in May... that's delayed gratification for you.

The one thing that struck me, is that it (presumably deliberately) creates a contrast between the sounds and the visuals that I remember from the movie. That said, the music is easily good enough to stand on its own.

I could also imagine the (beautiful) main theme in just about any genre of movie... as long as the movie was tinged with the right amount of sadness! It could be in the finale to The Outsiders or something like that (not that I'd want to replace 'Stay Gold' by Stevie Wonder, mind you). It would fit just as well in those 'coming of age' or family drama type movies as it does in one of the bleakest horror movies I've seen. Uplifting/melancholic.
By Buggenhagen
Looking at the numbers again and am I right in thinking that the original Lucertola CD release from the '90's is going to be the most limited version released? I think it was limited to 1000 copies. What were the numbers on the Mondo version?

Really interested to hear how this sells. It's been a holy grail release for a lot of people for a while but I wonder how wide the interest will be beyond fans of the film/soundtrack collectors.

Can't wait to get this in my hands and give it a spin now.
By Frizzle-Frizzi
Mondo's run was around 3000 copies
By chandler75
And still 1833 available.