Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Occhionero
What about a crowdfunding project for a new pressing plant?!?
No joke! Let's think about this....
By Spun out of control
^^^

Crowdfunding is a good idea, considering there are all these passionate vinyl enthusiasts around who are part of the problem :)

Fascinating links to articles in that OWS 'apology' too... One solution would be to knock the Black Friday idea on the head and just stick to Record Store Day in April. I know it's fun and everything, but do we really need what is getting increasingly like two RSD's?

PS - OWS said in their blog that orders affected by the delay will be shipped separately, even if ordered together originally, so you get your vinyl soonest
By seb
Hey Phil...We'll ship separately as stated in the mail. We don't want to leave you guys waiting for all your stuff.
November 5 will be the day that we do a huge ship out of in stock stuff.

Thx bro
By seb
Yeah, would be cool... I don't think money is the issue here with plants but rather the lack of skilled labour, engineers and machinery.
The article in our mail pretty much sez it all. Plants want to expand and some are...but it's not going to happen overnight :(
By seb
I must say that we have the best customers in the world!

So much supportive emails and comments we are getting... Warms the heart!
Love you guys
By philball1974
Nice one Seb. I didn't read that bit.
By Spun out of control
One of those articles mentioned a $300K* cost for a new pressing machine I think, whereas an old one can be refurbished for $30K?

Hence no one is going for the all-new option at present. But yes, the bit about pulling old timers out of retirement to show the younger generation how it's done made me smile. ;)

The other thing that made me smile was these pressing plants hunting down rusting old pressing machines that nevertheless demand a premium second hand because of their scarcity - parallels with us guys hunting down old pressings of our own vinyl 'holy grails'...

*EDIT - the Washing Post article puts a new machine at $130K not $300K, my bad
By Occhionero
300k is a lot- but hey every Revolution started small.
Unfortunately I am only a bloody camera man and no economist.

If there is a need for something - there should be money for something!
By reelybored
That is crappy news but thanks for the update. A little patience can 't hurt... Or can it? I'm sure these releases will be well worth the wait. And Candyman for Christmas? I'll take it
By DISCOSUCKS...
Well Seb, just to be the other side of the coin - this is crappy news, and if you also miss the December date I will hunt OWS down like wild dogs and serve justice!!

;)

(Kidding, kidding.....this totally works for me to as an Xmas surprise, as we'll all have forgotten about it by then :)

Sorry to hear that your business model is being totally screwed over by this expanded RSD BS though - another sign that it's out of control and has lost the (original) plot/stated purpose. So it goes.
By zuko
So basically, this is all George Michael's fault right?
By seb
Yes...actually it is!

I'll have words with him. This means we will not release his rescore for Suspiria.
That ship has sailed.
By philball1974
[quote=37125]This means we will not release his rescore for Suspiria.
That ship has sailed.[/quote]

I can no longer support a company who lets gold slip through their fingers!!
By Spun out of control
@OWS

Ha! One 'Careless Whisper' and it was all over... ;)

(That said, he might actually be a fan of slightly campy giallo melodramas - going by the black gloves and leather outfits he's worn in the past... so while we joke...)
By slybonethetownie
But it's probably worth mentioning to US folks or anyone who ordered extra stuff from LITA to ship with Candyman that the fine print in OWS' email did say "Note, this shipping schedule is only applicable for orders placed through www.onewaystatic.com, shipping dates on orders placed through www.lightintheattic.net may differ or ship sooner/later, please consult the product pages on their website or contact them if you have any questions."

LITA is still showing a ship date for Candyman of 10.28.14 with no mention of manufacturing delays for this title. I imagine that means that they just haven't updated their site since getting the Candyman memo, that probably will be fixed soon, but since it's not been expressly stated by LITA yet what they plan to do regarding this I'm not assuming that my Wolfcop LP and cassette and Surf Nazis cassette will be shipped out before Candyman. I might be completely wrong but LITA might not be as willing to eat a bunch of shipping cost for something that was not their fault. It's really no big deal to me, it can all come late in December and I'm fine with that, I just wanted to point this out for other LITA customers.
By ghostfires
That is still one of the very best pop songs ever!
By siforster
To be a little bit of a Devil's Advocate, it's not just George Michael's fault (and certainly not Andrew Ridgeley's fault as he never did anything anyway, bless him) - if Last Christmas sells out (and it probably will, it's this RSD's Ghostbusters novelty) then fair play, as it's mainstream tat that needs to sell in quantity to get those with the money (ie, the majors) to invest in more machinery and people able to use it. It's Mike Patton's fault as well. And Clint Eastwood's. but I'm not going to say that to his face.

To be honest though, I'd rather RSD as a whole to be more about new mainstream tat rather than just "that'll do" old stuff, as it just seems to be a bit self-defeating for everyone :(
By toosoonjunior
Sorry to hear about these delays (for you and us). Just so I understand, OWS will be shipping out items in stock and will ship Candyman when it becomes available. Is LITA doing the same, or will they ship the all bundles together around 12/15?

I order most of the OWS through LITA.
By seb
I don't know how LITA handles such things, I can only speak for OWS.
I'm sure that if you contact them they will shed light on this. I do know they are pretty swamped this week due to inventory counts, so replies might take a while.
By toosoonjunior
OK, no worries. Hang in there. :)
By strictlywayward
Big Music needs to fuck off to iTunes full-time. What a waste of a pressing season when so many that just want to continue their everyday habit of making/selling/buying records get shafted so the music industry can stay relevant on paper.
By ghostfires
I do get so sick of hearing anything from the mainstream music industry. Now to hear that they are attacking the independent industry is doubling disheartening. They already take up so much time on television with their stupid reality shows, pretending to sell you a fake storyline of the next up-and-coming singer/songwriter or next big performer. What a fucking joke. The mainstream music industry is as rigged as our American politics. It should all be wiped out and begun anew.

Another reason why I love Bandcamp so much - I can buy direct from the artists, labels, etc. And absolutely love online shops like LITA that can carry all these awesome albums from really great labels like OWS.

Please stick it out OWS - you are a damn fine label, and I know everyone here will continue to support you guys no matter what challenges the bullshit mainstream industry puts you guys through.
By seb
Thanks guys, we love you!

OWS is going nowhere, you can count on that.... These things are a damn pain in the ass but we'll manage!
By EdKings
Amen! Keep up the good work and thnx for the headsup! *flies away to listen to george michael