Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By seb
Everything related to OWS04 THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
By seb
This next release is one we are very proud of… musically it's TOP!

It's a re-score of the original 1925 movie by UK band THE LAZE (consisting out of seven professional musicians !!) This is the fourth long player of the band (previous records were highly acclaimed and remixed by Steve Moore (Zombi), Forest Swords and Brontt Industries Kapital).

They played the soundtrack live on a screenings-tour of the movie and response was so amazing that OWS sent them to the studio to bring you these recordings to enjoy in your homes.

Musically they are hard to pin down… prog, classical, Baroque dance, electronic, Carpenter, Goblin is what comes to mind. We'll have some sound clips for you guys asap.

This is also a premiere for us, since on this one it will be the first time we work with an original artist. There was little 1925 material to work with for the jackets so we decided to go with a personal favorite of OWS and the band: LUKE INSECT (who you all know from the Death Waltz releases, A field in England, etc. Luke sent us the artworks and we were blown away. In gorgeous black and silver to keep in the spirit of the film.

We will open orders on this item in a couple of weeks. It will be available on vinyl, cassette, compact disc and digital DL. Limited edition will come with a bonus surprise.

Looking forward sharing this with you guys.
Seb
By ninjaqutie
This should be an interesting release. :)
By NathanLurker
Oh I tought this was a movie score, reworked, re-recorded or something... but it's actually new material from a band re interpreting what the movie score would be for them ?

By RougeGorge
By the way, OWS is my favorite Label !
Merci pour tout.
By seb
Totally new material... We did not plan to do re-scores when we started OWS, but once in a while something like this comes along and we just could not pass.
By seb
De rien ;-)
By maxvelvet
Well, what I listen here it's really good:

[video]http://youtu.be/iXhkwAWHLuA[/video]

It's the kind of project done by Air for Le Voyage Dans La Lune, I like this kind of things. Can't wait to hear the whole score! ;)
By lazyben
Max, that does sound pretty good, I think I will be looking forward to this. I did start a thread on these sort of projects long ago (our own discosucks has done a few) but it seems to have become lost in the mists of time.

Of course if they wanted to make phantom truly horrific they could sample Sarah Brightman :)
By lazyben
It does sound good. And the artwork on this one should be kid friendly (ish)
:)
By maxvelvet
Well, surely not a "Vinyl Nasty" but anyway not suitable for small kids... :D

By lazyben
She'll be fine with that, it looks just like my mother in law :)
By Purplemule74
Any guesses on the bonus surprise coming with the limited edition?

I'm voting for a Phantom of the Opera mask, ala 'The Court of Owls' that D.C. did with Batman a couple years ago. That would be sweet!

BTW, you mother in law needs a makeover Lazyben!
By seb
Here are some tunes to keep you warm.

By dumaisaudio
I too was under the impression it was the original score, or at least a recording of it. This seems more interesting to me actually.
By Whip Wilson
Well, God damn it. I had never heard of Laze and I must confess I had been looking forward to an OWS package and master of the original Hinrichs score so I was quite dissapointed to learn of the rescore. However, these tracks are awesome. I love this kind of shit and I am all the way back like Pacino in Godfather III. Looking forward to more sounds and other details as the release date nears.
By boothaevens
Ow, what a pity... I really thought it was going to be the original soundtrack, and was totally excited for that.

Not too impressed with the soundclips neither, and if I'm really honest, Luke Insect doing the artwork also isn't a plus (I really think the soundtrack labels are becoming much alike by choosing the same artists that much, and besides that, I find the typical cheesy artwork on a lot of old LP's way more appealing then the newer more stylistic and designy type of artwork - the exception here is the fantastic Chapman cover for The Fog)

Think I'm gonna pass on this one...
By seb
All I can tell you is that it looks and sounds great :-)

Going for the original Hinrich score is next to impossible, unless we did a re-recording (a thing we are not a fan of)
Did you know that Hinrich didn't even do the original score, it was Joseph Carl Breil (Birth Of A Nation).

Phantom Of The Opera had a dozen of re-scores, even as early as in the twenties and thirties.
You can find an interesting read about the matter HERE . But prepare to be confused.

We're just following in the tradition of paying tribute to this classic piece of movie history. And we're really happy with the outcome.

Picking it up or passing on it is a matter of taste. For those purists ;-) we have many originals coming up. We'll be announcing some upcoming stuff later this month.

By seb
Here are some review samples if you want to hear someone else's opinion.

From atmospherically eerie to brain-mashingly weird and fun to jaw-droppingly beautiful, this is a work of pure genius." Live For Films

"The band controlled the emotional message of the visual information, flowing from harrowing baroque 'n' roll to ethereal calm... The Laze are a phenomenon" Versus Magazine

“The Laze sound larger than the sky above and everything that lies under, imagine the Mahavishnu Orchestra after reading the Necronomicon.” Jazz Funk Greats

Wirralien sextet The Laze are developing a reputation across the UK for their spine-tingling live performances and expansive soundscapes. Influenced by a history of horror soundtracks, from Bernard Hermann & Angelo Badalamenti to Goblin & John Carpenter, The Laze implement elements of Progressive Rock, Classical, Jazz, Doom and Electronica in their auteur musical accompaniment. Picture House London

The Laze created a fantastic atmosphere, combining classical music and jazz with brilliant splices of electro and prog rock. Creating an eclectic accompaniment which fits the film so perfectly requires an impressive creative and musical intuition which The Laze has mastered with ease. The original silent horror film itself is extremely creepy, even without a soundtrack, but their brilliant live performance brought the atmosphere up to an enchanting level of tension. Newcastle & Me
By NathanLurker
The music is very ecclectic. I like some parts of ''Master of the Dark Arts'' but other parts don't speak as much to me. I like the more synth driven and atmospheric melodies, and I like less the prog rock parts like at around 4:20. It's an interesting release anyway, I'm open to the idea of re-scores.Scorpion Vs Grasshopper is good, I like it.
By ninjaqutie
I want a mask... can we get masks? :D
By layneharvey
everyone see that PHANTOM is up for preorder? check it out over at OWS and LITA!