Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By antimax
Yeah, I've noticed this about split-color vinyls in general, was going to start a thread about it. My split-color copy of The New York Ripper does this, each color has a slightly different-textured sound, but it's only really noticeable at the quiet parts. The perils of style over substance, huh? :D
By freshoj
@thedeepness is the clear/amber quiet? I have to admit, this glow noisiness is too much for me so I will be looking to replace it with a quieter version.
By layneharvey
mine arrived today! i got the clear/amber splatter, number 093/300 looks beee-autiful. my only somewhat negative comment is around the lettering on the front cover, there is some bubbling where the outer finish seems to be separating from the inner stiffy-boardy stuff. :) here's a pic of my copy:

By seb
Thanks for all the cool pics and kind words guys. We're really happy with how it turned out. Vinyl and packaging was a lot of work and it caused multiple delays. It's always a gamble since you only get to see the outcome when it's finished/in your hands.

Yeah, the thing with glow in the dark is that it’s still a novelty item (even after a few years around) and due to it’s grainy structure it causes pops and crackles. With multiple cleanings it softens but I doubt the problem will completely go away.

We always press both color and black vinyl so customers can purchase the one most fitting their needs. This either being a collectable or a listening experience. Regular color vinyl plays just fine, but with splits, splatter, glitter, GITD and the likes this problem tends to rise.

Guess it's ye old battle of looks vs sound. We like to provide both!

Cheers!

P.S. We are shipping out all remaining orders this week, everybody will get a shipping confirmation email. Hang tight and watch them mailboxes!
By Dr.Funtime
Pretty pissed off. I ordered "The Hills..." via LITA and the tracking info that I received from USPS said it was delivered on Saturday the 25th, at 11:20am. Have not received it. So I called them up today and talked with the supervisor and asked if he could ask our postal carrier if he delivered it to the wrong address. I'll get word from them tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to catch the carrier as well, so I can personally talk to him. If he DOES remember delivering it to my house, then I have a thief who's making his rounds swiping shit off of people's porches. Wouldn't surprise me really. But if he delivered it to the wrong house, then that would be the 3rd time that I have not received a package within 2 years from this carrier. Hopefully he dropped it off at the wrong address and remembers which one. It's bullshit either way you look at it. Here's hoping to some positive resolve. Figures it would happen to one of the very few records I've been looking forward to.
By slybonethetownie
I hate to be negative, but like Dr. Funtime I am somewhat pissed off as well, but for a different reason. I just received my package from LITA which contains 1 limited LP, 1 black LP and 1 cassette. I preordered these just as soon as the preorder was announced so I was fairly sure that I'd be getting a Body Bag Edition of the cassette, although I didn't, just the regular one arrived. At first I thought "Oh well, I just missed the boat" but after re-reading this thread I realized that both bitewerks and thedeepness ordered the tape from LITA after I did (bitewerks ordered over 4 hours later than I, thedeepness ordered over a day after I did), yet they did receive the Body Bag Edition. There was even a post in this thread from OWS 3 hours after I ordered indicating that LITA still has some but were getting low. Am I missing something? Is there another explanation for this or is LITA not following the first come, first served way of filling orders? I mainly order these releases for the "Limited Edition" aspect, so I feel somewhat shortchanged by this.
By slybonethetownie
Also, I forgot to mention earlier that it's disappointingly curious that in this case a later order got a lower number on the Limited LP. thedeepness received #003 and #103 and my order from a day earlier received #138! Shouldn't an earlier order get a lower number? I'll stop bitching now, but I would like it if Seb or someone else in authority would look into this.

Thanks!
By Pitch
[quote=9365]This either being a collectable or a listening experience.
[/quote]

Not sure I understand this?! A record should be playable and produce a clean sound - surely? Otherwise it is not really fit for purpose? A record has to be playable and CAN BE collectable. I haven't received my LP yet, but I'm going to be a little disappointed if I've bought a trophy for the wall rather than a pretty record to spin and aurally enjoy!

I certainly haven't detected problems with DW colours and other colour vinyl, so I do hope we're not now about to experience the 'jump the shark' moment in collectable vinyl. I shall hold my breath until the LP arrives - but I just thought that statement was a little odd.
By seb
Hope it works out my man! Dealing with the postal service are every label and record buyer worldwide worst nightmare.

I've been dealing with records since the early nineties and it get's worse and more expensive every year.
In this age of global tracking and all… you'd think it would all go smoother. Think again.

Good luck and if there is anything we can do to help, don't hesitate to ask.
By seb
Hey slybonehetownie,

Hope to answer some of your questions.

A) the numbered records : Getting a certain sequential number on a record to match the time you ordered it is (sadly) not possible for logistic reasons. We basically pull em out of the boxes and match them with an order. We're talking about 600+ records here to ship. It's all random (like the deepness received #003 and #103 in the same order). And don't forget that half of the stock goes to me in Europe so everything is again broken up based on how the pressing plant stacked and shipped them.

In the future when we stop doing pre-orders and have everything in stock, this might be possible since we have more setup time. Sure hope so, would be cool!

B) The body bag edition. I'll check with LITA. Unlike the above here the ordering line has been respected since we're only dealing with 50 copies. It's still not easy logistics-wise but I know they did their best. It's possible a mistake has been made in all of this.

But you are totally right : what's the point of offering a limited version to the first 50 customers if it's not followed up. It was a first and LITA is not familiar with such a thing. We'll step up our game and make sure it goes extra smooth next time.

… and here's the good news my friend. I kept two of the body bag edition for my personal collection. Mail me through the One way static website with your address and I'll get you one! I can live with just keeping one for my own ;-)

…. as you guys know, we take great pride in offering solutions to all of your concerns regarding OWS stuff. We don't mind going the extra mile and if we can fix something for you : it makes our day. Best you email us though, works faster and does not get overlooked.
By Garmonbozia
Man, people sure like to bitch at record labels
By seb
@pitch

Reading back on my earlier post : bad choice of words from me.
You are right and our records are both collectable and listenable as it should be. The color vinyl for last house and the splatter for The Hills play just fine. And we'll keep this quality going.

I was only referring to the GITD variant, as most of you know GITD is a risk. So rather than ignoring it I was only trying to state that it's not the best thing for the maximum audio experience. I don't think we'll be doing it again soon (although it looks mighty fine). It's always a struggle between coming up with a good mix of cool and the best audiophile quality, but we'll manage!

Sorry for the odd communication (English is not my native language so I drop the ball sometimes :-)

If you (or anyone) have serious problems with their record… e-mail us and we'll sort it out for you. Even if you ordered through LITA it's best to contact us with any of your concerns. We handle all OWS customer service ourselves.

Don't hesitate to mail us … we don't bite ;-)

Seb
By karloffsidekick
[quote=9402]Man, people sure like to bitch at record labels[/quote]

Quite true...I realize I'm older than most of you lot, but the pissing and moaning from this generation is unreal. The color isn't like the one pictured on the website; the sound sucks on this rainbow glow-in-the-dark confetti pressing; I'm upset that I don't have all 17 color variations of the "(insert name here)" soundtrack; boo-hoo, they only had black vinyl by the time I got my order in; I couldn't get to all 32 stores on my Record Store Day list; oh, and don't even get me started on the Mondo flippers.

Okay, I'm done...gonna go drop the needle on my black vinyl Give 'Em Enough Rope and enjoy what's IN the grooves.

By slybonethetownie
Hey Seb!

I just sent you an email to mailorder@onewaystatic.com regarding the Body Bag Edition cassette, and thanks so much for taking care of this for me, and also thanks for the explanation regarding the Limited LPs.

I'll look forward to receiving the cassette sometime soon!

Thanks so much again!
By slybonethetownie
Actually, as far as I'm concerned I hate bitching about most anything, I really do. I'm a nice guy, I like to heap praise on people. In this case I felt a little slighted for the reasons listed above, but as always OWS handled my situation professionally and with class, and for that they'll continue to get my best!
By Pitch
[quote=9404]@pitch

Reading back on my earlier post : bad choice of words from me.<br>
You are right and our records are both collectable and listenable as it should be. The color vinyl for last house and the splatter for The Hills play just fine. And we’ll keep this quality going.

I was only referring to the GITD variant, as most of you know GITD is a risk. So rather than ignoring it I was only trying to state that it’s not the best thing for the maximum audio experience. I don’t think we’ll be doing it again soon (although it looks mighty fine). It’s always a struggle between coming up with a good mix of cool and the best audiophile quality, but we’ll manage!

Sorry for the odd communication (English is not my native language so I drop the ball sometimes

If you (or anyone) have serious problems with their record… e-mail us and we’ll sort it out for you.

Seb
[/quote]

I loved the Last House package - looked and sounded fantastic! I'll cross my fingers for the splatter version of Hills, otherwise I'll grab a black vinyl.

Thanks for clarifying the thinking behind the versions - totally understand that people really enjoy new experiments with the vinyl - we're a demanding lot collectors - we want everything!!!

Really looking forward to the Hills, whatever version, and glad that audiophile quality will remain a priority for future releases.

Lastly - your English is impeccable - if only my second language was a tenth as good!!
By Dr.Funtime
So I finally got the record today (looks beautiful..I got the split variant, which I am more than happy about) And it WAS shipped to the wrong address. Lucky for me, whoever received it was decent/honest enough to give it back to the carrier. Man.....
By monsterworship
I got the glow split, and it is super noisey, so much so that i turned it off and put on the cassette version instead to give it a proper listen.
Maybe this is a common thing, but there is also a good bit of random debris / black flakes in the vinyl.

Also thought i would be getting a body bag version, but really not a big deal to me.

Otherwise...
I really love the gold foil lettering on the LP, and im not usually a fan of super glossy stuff, but this looks really fantastic.
The layout overall is pretty striking.

I think i will have m berryman sign my copy when i see him at an upcoming horror con in march.

By deathwaltz
[quote=9416]I got the glow split, and it is super noisey, so much so that i turned it off and put on the cassette version instead to give it a proper listen.
Maybe this is a common thing, but there is also a good bit of random debris / black flakes in the vinyl.

Also thought i would be getting a body bag version, but really not a big deal to me.

Otherwise…
I really love the gold foil lettering on the LP, and im not usually a fan of super glossy stuff, but this looks really fantastic.
The layout overall is pretty striking.

I think i will have m berryman sign my copy when i see him at an upcoming horror con in march.

[/quote]

Chad
Like Seb says glow is known to be the worst which is a shame as the things I could do with glow vinyl ! The compound is not only expensive but very unstable I have glow records from Third Man , Mondo and Waxworks and never listen to them due to sound issues. It's a real shame as I can imagine all the colour mixes I would do ! Packaging on this looks top notch can't wait to get one !
By seb
The black flakes is new for me, gonna inspect that!

Getting a copy signed by Mike B. … that's on my list too! I can picture it hanging on the wall already.
By seb
Yeah, totally agree with Spencer. There are so many cool things to be done with GITD. Can you imagine the splatters and swirls lighting up in the dark?

The mondo/ww pressings have indeed the same sound issues, but with this one it's even more noticeable since you can hear the transition between the clear amber and GITD.

Wish it was more stable and indeed less expensive (this split variant was almost the cost of two regular colors… not to mention the gold foil on the jacket)s.

Really happy with the visual outcome though. Cherish it guys, this will probably be the first and last time you'll see glow in the dark on an OWS pressing. Rest in peace GITD.
By monsterworship
Here is a pic of some of the stuff, there are a few square flakes also.

By seb
Looks like you got one of the first color vinyl records that rolled of the press. My guess is that the plant did not clean the press or stampers very well after they pressed our black vinyl. Will have to mention this to them!

If you want a replacement or something email us dude!
By maxvelvet
About the whole GITD discussion I post here something that I copied from another discussion on this forum (sorry but I saved this useful notes but I've forgotten who posted...):

SOUND CHARACTERISTICS OF VINYL COLORS*
(Surface noise 1= quietest / 8 = noisiest)

1. Standard Black
2. Transparent Colors (Blue, Green, Clear, Gold [orange], Transparent Red, Coke Clear, Fluorescent Colors)
3. Non-Mixed Opaque Colors (Pink, Red, Yellow, Violet, Brown)
4. White
5. Opaque Mix (Mixing opaque and translucent color(s) in particular; and also tend to have visible “staining” after a few hundred records, which can be seen in certain light).
6. Random Color / Recycled Color Shades
7. Split Color / Splatter Color / other hand-made colors
8. Glow In The Dark / Glitter Records