Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By FnordChan

This is an unofficial thread to discuss Mondo Vinyl.
By FnordChan
Here's the catalog of all of Mondo's vinyl releases to date:

MOND-001 - Maniac by Jay Chattaway (Variant: Red)
MOND-002 - The Beyond by Fabio Frizzi (Variant: Clear Turquoise)
MOND-003 - The Deadly Spawn by Michael Perilstein (Variant: Pink)
MOND-004 - Poltergeist by Jerry Goldsmith (Variants: Clear and Glow in the Dark)
MOND-005 - The Raid by Mike Shinoda and Joseph Trapanese (Variant: Smokey Grey)
MOND-006 - ???
MOND-007 - ???
MOND-008 - Drive by Cliff Martinez (Variants: Pink and Picture Disc)
MOND-009 - Oblivion by M83 (Variant: Clear)

As of 06/15/13, the soundtrack for The Raid was still available at the Mondo online shop. Also, Forced Exposure has Oblivion, The Deadly Spawn, and possibly Drive available.

You can find out about upcoming Mondo Vinyl releases by following their blog and Justin Ishmael's Twitter feed.
By heelsinc
I love the drive soundtrack
By jonnydub
does anyone know where i can get a copy of the drive soundtrack in the UK?
By fluppeco
Haven't seen much mondo versions in the wild, maybe try ebay or discogs.
By rhos
www.banquetrecords.com have it as a pre-order. Whether that becomes a reality or not ...?

By pirate
The Drive soundtrack can be found here -

http://www.invada.co.uk/drive/

It's not the mondo version, but they have a picture disc version and a pink vinyl set.

Check out Drokk while you're there too. Well worth a purchase.
By grumpynorthener
That Drokk LP is great.
By theraygun
Personally, I don't like that variant idea. Mainly because I've currently got a 100 per cent failure rate.

It's like their existing release policy wasn't annoying enough, so they had to find a way of making it more frustrating for the customers.

I'm all for rewarding collectors and those who are first on it, but the random nature is just a bit daft.

Nice covers though.
By pirate
Totally agree. Absolutely love the Drokk album.
By anthony m
i love mondo vinyl. only because there are not that many of them and i cant start working on getting all the variants. i have mondo001-mondo004 variants. the next on my list are the two rsd ones and the pink drive. oblivion and the raid can wait.
By dumaisaudio
I'm not getting Oblivion and Raid, just don't think I'll listen to them enough for me to spend to get on vinyl right now with everything else I'm buying. I have The Beyond colored, and Drive and Poltergeist on black. I've got Deadly Spawn on order, maybe I'll get lucky, as that color version is really nice.
By aeonblack
I only have The Raid and Oblivion (was a bit late on hopping on the mondo train). Now I'm trying to track down the other releases without paying an arm and a leg.
By Conal Cochran
I have to admit that I can't stand this shit where an LP is pressed in such limited quantities that in order to get one without being raped by someone flipping on eBay, you have to hawk your Twitter account and get in on purchasing it within the first 15 minutes or its gone. I am sure some will disagree, bit I think the variant idea sucks. Intentionally making something rare before it even goes on sale only serves to ultimately screwing over the fan/collector who'll have to pay a fortune on eBay or Discogs if they want to get one for themselves.

By dumaisaudio
I do take issue with the way Mondo does it, which is randomly inserting the variants within all the packages. So if 500 are variant in a pressing of 1500, you can either buy multiple copies in hopes of finding the variant or paying double on eBay or Discogs. It's how I ended up with my Beyond colored vinyl. I won't bother with the others. I just wished they let you order the colored version, which would make it a little easier. I guess the flip side is that everyone gets the chance to get a copy and maybe get lucky. I think it's just in general, the whole limited pressing thing is starting to attract speculators and people just making a buck off it. I think most companies should start pressing some more copies of each run. At least Death Waltz does represses on alternate colors, so if you miss out, at least you get something cool.
By Jeff
If Mondo didn't press "Maniac" (original) and some no name company did, even in all color, back when they did I bet 500 would have been enough. A lot of it comes from the hype surrounding Mondo. Which, in a sense, I'm fine with. Maybe people will become aware of some of these cool movies and check them out.

On the note of the variants, I don't even make them an issue. Yeah, they're cool, I prefer them, but in the end whatever. I like the art they usually get for them too. I order 1, stick to that, if I luck out WOO HOO! If not (generally haven't) BOO HOO but hey, I'm still glad to get it.
By anthony m
i think if they had an option to buy the variant the website would be clogged and the real collectors wouldint get one and the flippers would. this way it scares off the flippers and the real collectors can hope to get one
By FnordChan
The frustrating thing about Mondo is that they seem to really enjoy the economy of scarcity they've created around their limited edition poster releases. As far as the posters go, Mondo's explanation is that they only receive permission to produce very limited runs from the rights holders. However, I'm not sure if that applies at all to their vinyl releases; if they've got the rights to reissue an album I'd be surprised if they were being told, "No, you may only print X copies of this album", especially now that they're starting to distribute their music releases to record stores and distributors.

Assuming that Mondo isn't being given a limit on the number of copies they can press of their soundtrack releases, they appear to be encouraging the scarcity model by a combination of randomly inserted color variants and generally not announcing how many copies they're pressing of each release. (The only numbered edition I'm aware of was 1000 for the Record Store Day picture disc release of the Drive soundtrack.) Here's a comment on print runs from the Mondo blog:

"These are most definitely limited, although they are not numbered like our posters. We do not disclose the number to how many are pressed because we give some to our distributor for record store distribution. All of our vinyl are definitely limited edition, however, and once they sell out, we do not press any additional copies."

Considering that the edition numbers are readily available for all of their posters, this is disappointing. As for the random color selection, on the one hand it makes for a fun collectible but on the other hand, considering that their poster variants are for sale separately, it's a surprising that they don't do the same thing for folks who really want the colored edition.
By Sean B
I've never had a problem getting any Mondo releases (except for Maniac, but I'm late to the game on that one. Thankfully it's been repressed)

Now that I think about it, I was actually lucky enough to get a color variant of every one except for Deadly Spawn and Oblivion (Which didn't have one, as far as I know)
By Jeff
The only release that sold out fast was Drive. The others lasted for days, even weeks on some. I think they do the mix to sell out totally. Whether it's 500 or 1500, people want those variants and buy a ton to get them.

Even Drive lasted like an hour, right? It wasn't within minutes. I was at work and bought it easily on my phone 10 min. after the drop.
By FnordChan
Sean B, it looks like all copies of the Oblivion OST sold directly from Mondo were clear and all copies sold in record stores are black.

Jeff, Mondo said the Drive LPs being sold through their website sold out in under 30 minutes. That's a pretty good amount of time compared to the minute or two their poster drops can vanish during, but obviously not great shakes for anyone who wasn't online during the drop. Hopefully all of their future releases are being sold through shops as well and there's a better chance for everyone to snag the records they want.
By Jeff
I think what they sold on their shop that day wasn't the full run though. Many made into stores, just much later and after the RSD hyped Pic Disc. I think a lot of people were confused (though it was all pretty clear from the get go to me.)

Also, Drive is a much more popular movie/OST then the previous ones they've sold which were MUCH more niche.
By carloscadaver
To be honest the poster art is eh, I think they could've done SO much more with this concept. I'm sure the vinyl itself will be great, but I have to admit, DW did it sick with that mirror cover. oof!
By jayderek18
yeah, the cover and whole package to be honest is much better handled by DW in this instance.

ah well. I'm in the US so I'm limited to the Mondo version