Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:I nudged Transmission to see if they are planning to stock the They Live reissue- apparently the retail edition isn't due until September.

In which case I might just have to bite the bullet and order direct from Mondo on this one. Have just ordered the book direct from Rough Trade, thanks for the heads up @Bez.
Any word on if the retail edition will be b l a a a a a a c k?
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
ScoJo wrote:I nudged Transmission to see if they are planning to stock the They Live reissue- apparently the retail edition isn't due until September.

In which case I might just have to bite the bullet and order direct from Mondo on this one. Have just ordered the book direct from Rough Trade, thanks for the heads up @Bez.
No idea bud, but to quote Dafoe in To Live and Die in LA:

"Buddy...you're in the wroooong place at the wroooong time... (BLAAM!!)"
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:

No idea bud, but to quote Dafoe in To Live and Die in LA:

"Buddy...you're in the wroooong place at the wroooong time... (BLAAM!!)"
\Image
By havershaw
I’m usually totally on top of new release Wednesdays but I totally spaced this today and the book is sold out now, so I had to buy it from Rough Trade in the UK. it probably cost about $8 more including postage.
By ScoJo
Turns out I couldn't wait until the Sept retail version - ordered the blue version. Hoping for a good pressing, natch.

Speaking of Mondo - goddamn it, hit with £14 of customs charges for my copy of Thelma OST today. Goddamn, I say!!

By inksb
I have a question for the folks that own the Twin Peaks S1 and FWWM LPs. I was discussing some of Mondo's poor pressings and releases on reddit and some one said that both releases had surface noise and the mastering sounds very muddy. Any one care to weigh on this? Is this guy full of shit or are there issues with those releases?
By static14
inksb wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:43 pm I have a question for the folks that own the Twin Peaks S1 and FWWM LPs. I was discussing some of Mondo's poor pressings and releases on reddit and some one said that both releases had surface noise and the mastering sounds very muddy. Any one care to weigh on this? Is this guy full of shit or are there issues with those releases?
Season one sounded fine after a cleaning. My copy of FWWM is noisy. The mastering is just fine on both.
By havershaw
I’ll have to respin mine. I don’t remember any realm issues other than the fact that the first copy I got of S1 was very warped on arrival.
By Hatter313
Yeah it’s not the mastering, but there’s some noise on both although I’m also inclined to believe that some of it is the source, there’s a hazy sound to that music that may be making the surface noise sound worse than it is. My season one is ok, fwwm was a hair noisier but spins fine now. I’ll caveat that my ears aren’t super sensitive to that stuff unless it really gets in the way and the only record from them that I have that problem with is the evil dead rescore, which I may have to find a solid color or black pressing of one of these days if such a thing exists.

Again though, I’m more forgiving of stuff like that than some of us on here so take my review with a grain of salt if you are lean more audiophile, my ears just ain’t that good :). I also think that sometimes the problems people have with their pressings can stem from headphone vs speaker, I never listen on headphones and have been unaffected by problems that some on here have pointed out if They are using headphones.
By havershaw
There’s definitely a solid red Evil Dead rescore.

If I recall correctly, Rhino also reissued (EU only) S1 and FWWM, original artwork and everything just as it was (FWWM is a single disc) shortly after the DW/Mondo releases, and I do sort of recall some people saying that they preferred that mastering/pressing.

I didn’t get the new FWWM eu but I did get S1. I’ll compare this week when I have a minute.
The Rhino reissues are easy to find and pretty cheap.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:19 pm Yeah it’s not the mastering, but there’s some noise on both although I’m also inclined to believe that some of it is the source, there’s a hazy sound to that music that may be making the surface noise sound worse than it is. My season one is ok, fwwm was a hair noisier but spins fine now. I’ll caveat that my ears aren’t super sensitive to that stuff unless it really gets in the way and the only record from them that I have that problem with is the evil dead rescore, which I may have to find a solid color or black pressing of one of these days if such a thing exists.

Again though, I’m more forgiving of stuff like that than some of us on here so take my review with a grain of salt if you are lean more audiophile, my ears just ain’t that good :). I also think that sometimes the problems people have with their pressings can stem from headphone vs speaker, I never listen on headphones and have been unaffected by problems that some on here have pointed out if They are using headphones.
Agree with you down the line on this.
I have had a few pressings where the surface noise was unacceptable, such as the splattery red Big Trouble in Little China. But like you, most of my vinyl listening is done through speakers. Your setup plays a huge part in things of course. I have a pal with approx 15,000 worth of deck, cart, valve pre amp etc, and I can't actually listen to records at his place- everything sounds garbage! Only the highest grade, flawless wax sounds ok on his unforgiving system. Not sure I see the point tbh ;-)
By inksb
Thanks guys, lots of great info. One of these days I'll pick up all the Twin Peaks stuff. It's just always on the back burner.
By Mateo Sanboval
If I might chime in late, I think the Rhino/Warner represses (which are and were available in the US) are the superior pressings. The main thing is less noticeably less surface noise. And I don't have an elite system. Far from it in fact. The Rhinos are cheaper and better; keeping them was an easy choice for me.
By havershaw
I did get my Rhino repress in Amazon here in the US, now that I think of it. I did hear that they were EU releases, but maybe I heard wrong.
By Bezulsqy
The Mondo/DWRC Twin Peaks release is one of the releases I am the most disappointed about. I love the packaging and the idea. But the pressing is not the best. I understand Spencer defending this release wholeheartedly and stating that Badalamenti himself said how much he loved it. And I am sure that the test press sounds great. And maybe even a big batch of the normal run.
But there is a batch that is of sub-par quality. And I do not feel that has ever been acknowledge by Mondo/DWRC. I ordered my copy directly from Mondo. And by the time I received it a lot of people where complaining and asking for replacements. I my memory serves me correctly Mondo did replace some with no problem, but when the amount of complaints rose they decided that they would only replace if you would send your copy back. And I do understand that policy. But being in Europe it would be too big of a cost to send my copy back.
And my record has small dimples in it. They create an audible effect when my styles crosses them. I have seen the exact same defects in pictures from other people. Because of this I assume there is a large batch of records with the same problem. And there probably will be a big batch of records that do not have that defect.
Surface noise is another issue. It has surface noise. For me that isn't a big issue. But I can imagine for someone else it might be.
By NathanLurker
Anyone going for the SILENT HILL 2 release this week ? I already have the first Silent Hill from Mondo, I'm gladly picking up this second title when it drops later today. Will most likely pick up 1 or 2 additional title from DW that I need to catch up on. Probably Buio Omega and Upgrade or The Ritual.

I havent played any Silent Hill yet but I heard that the second one is the best, both the game, and it's soundtrack ?
By inksb
@nathan I may pick up Silent Hill 2, I'm trying to see if it's worth the stress on the budget as I also picked up Ringu boxset from Arrow this morning. I haven't played SH2 since it came out but yes the general consensus is that it's the better game and soundtrack. Out of the three you said you may grab I recommend The Ritual, that soundtrack is excellent. Upgrade I enjoyed quite a bit as well but I felt The Ritual was one I would listen to more often. If I grab SH2 I may end up snagging Hunter Complex's Open Sea, it's a killer album that I've listened a lot at work over the last few weeks.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:14 am
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:19 pm Yeah it’s not the mastering, but there’s some noise on both although I’m also inclined to believe that some of it is the source, there’s a hazy sound to that music that may be making the surface noise sound worse than it is. My season one is ok, fwwm was a hair noisier but spins fine now. I’ll caveat that my ears aren’t super sensitive to that stuff unless it really gets in the way and the only record from them that I have that problem with is the evil dead rescore, which I may have to find a solid color or black pressing of one of these days if such a thing exists.

Agree with you down the line on this.
I have had a few pressings where the surface noise was unacceptable, such as the splattery red Big Trouble in Little China. But like you, most of my vinyl listening is done through speakers. Your setup plays a huge part in things of course. I have a pal with approx 15,000 worth of deck, cart, valve pre amp etc, and I can't actually listen to records at his place- everything sounds garbage! Only the highest grade, flawless wax sounds ok on his unforgiving system. Not sure I see the point tbh ;-)

Yeah I worry that as my system evolves I may notice more of this. And I was one of the lucky ones with BTILC, mine sounds great, but it was definitely one of the problem pressings.
By havershaw
Man. I got BYILC as soon as they announced it last year but I just realized that I don’t think I ever spun it (it arrived the same time as a bunch of other stuff). I better check mine.
By inksb
Yeah my red pressing is noisy on my speakers, even my wife noticed it. I generally don't notice surface noise unless I have my headphones on and I would categorize my wife as clueless when it comes to audio quality and defects. Not very happy with the pressing and I'm hoping I can sell it to some color variant collecting fan and I can grab the black wax version.
By havershaw
Man, I didn’t think I had the red BTILC but apparently I ordered it, cause it’s sitting unopened on my shelf, haha.

I guess I better check it for noise too. Not feeling optimistic.
By inksb
Red was the only option when it went for sale on Mondo's site (if I'm remembering correctly). The retail variant was black.