Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Revolver_OcelScott
inksb wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:24 pm
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:12 pm Settle Note in Nero finally coming Wednesday.
Just saw that, very excited. And of course because they know they can charge $40 they do. They also have a 3 LP set for that new Samurai game and it's the same price. 2LP = 3LP ???
Yeah, I posted in the VGM thread the other day about that one. You can order it directly from Milan for 43.97 shipped on black vinyl. Incredible price. I'm about 3 hours into the game and digging it so far.
By deafmetal
inksb wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:03 pm
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:34 pm Who’s the composer?
Bixio, Frizzi & Tempera
...of course, not listed anywhere on the cover ffs. It's a dark jewel in the B-F-T crown, the highlight is the track 7 Note which was used to great effect in Kill Bill Vol. I as O-Ren Ishii's theme. It was only released on the KB OST with the RZA rhyming over it though. The original Cinevox 45 single version of "7 Note" is below followed by Tracce Sul Muro (which was the B side of the OG 45).

Listen to the entire album that was compiled by Digitmovies in 2006 (and the likely source for this new 2LP) here:

By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:20 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:03 pm
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:34 pm Who’s the composer?
Bixio, Frizzi & Tempera
...of course, not listed anywhere on the cover ffs.

Haha, this whole exchange is LOL.

Honestly though, this (continued) malarky seriously puts me off their releases. Who gives a shit who wrote the actual music? Certainly not Johnny Soundtrack Collector who these are directly aimed at, showing off this 'sweet piece' , sealed and unplayed, on his dumb IG.

Pffft.

By ScoJo
Holy smokes - just looking and even the 2015 repress of Tron Legacy goes for upwards £200 now. Looks like that Mongo reissue is more needed than I initially thought!
By ScoJo
I was lucky enough to jump on that D*sney 2nd pressing in '15, so I'm all good. The wax has hardly been spun truth be told- this score mainly gets digital earphone action while I'm on the move, especially whilst cycling! It's a mover ;)

By ChrisMcQueen007
ScoJo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:41 pm I was lucky enough to jump on that D*sney 2nd pressing in '15, so I'm all good. The wax has hardly been spun truth be told- this score mainly gets digital earphone action while I'm on the move, especially whilst cycling! It's a mover ;)

Maybe a good time to move that one onto discogs to get some good money for it. ;)
By ScoJo
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:57 pm
ScoJo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:41 pm I was lucky enough to jump on that D*sney 2nd pressing in '15, so I'm all good. The wax has hardly been spun truth be told- this score mainly gets digital earphone action while I'm on the move, especially whilst cycling! It's a mover ;)

Maybe a good time to move that one onto discogs to get some good money for it. ;)
The Disney is a crackerjack pressing, Chris- I'mma hold on to it for sure. Certainly wouldnt trade in on the hope that the Mongo pressing won't be dodgy (which is a 50-50 crapshoot if we're honest ;)
By Revolver_OcelScott
ScoJo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:11 pm
The Disney is a crackerjack pressing, Chris- I'mma hold on to it for sure. Certainly wouldnt trade in on the hope that the Mongo pressing won't be dodgy (which is a 50-50 crapshoot if we're honest ;)
If I could go back in time and get the black version of The Fountain instead of the splatter. It is so beyond noisy. Mondo is really bad with splatter releases. God of War and The Fountain are some of the worst pressed albums I own as far as noise goes.
By ScoJo
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:39 am
If I could go back in time and get the black version of The Fountain instead of the splatter. It is so beyond noisy. Mondo is really bad with splatter releases. God of War and The Fountain are some of the worst pressed albums I own as far as noise goes.
Right. And jeez, with a record like that? You really don't want to sacrifice fidelity for fun colours. That malarky works just fine for fun, silly music I guess, but not something that deserves to be pressed by Deutsche Grammophon! :)
By deafmetal
I jumped on one of those black vinyl copies of The Fountain when they hit retail, even though I seem to have lucked out and ended up with a decent copy with the MondoCon edition of the splatter/haze/whatevs. I heard the splatter pressing that was sold in the webstore was really noisy. I also know that white vinyl is not far behind splatter or haze for noisy pressings, which is why I just checked LitA again for a distro pressing of Sette note in nero but nothing showing up yet.
By monsterworship
deafmetal wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:31 pm
I jumped on one of those black vinyl copies of The Fountain when they hit retail, even though I seem to have lucked out and ended up with a decent copy with the MondoCon edition of the splatter/haze/whatevs. I heard the splatter pressing that was sold in the webstore was really noisy. I also know that white vinyl is not far behind splatter or haze for noisy pressings, which is why I just checked LitA again for a distro pressing of Sette note in nero but nothing showing up yet.
I bought it, but I wasn't stoked on the $49 price tag with shipping and tax.
By Revolver_OcelScott
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:07 pm Right. And jeez, with a record like that? You really don't want to sacrifice fidelity for fun colours. That malarky works just fine for fun, silly music I guess, but not something that deserves to be pressed by Deutsche Grammophon! :)
Deutsche Grammophon, for me, out out the highest quality of releases I've seen. I'm a huge Max Richter fan and almost all of his stuff is through them, and the records are always immaculate, come in poly lined sleeves and sound amazing.

I can't explain it, but the records themselves just feel better too.
By ScoJo
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:44 pm
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:07 pm Right. And jeez, with a record like that? You really don't want to sacrifice fidelity for fun colours. That malarky works just fine for fun, silly music I guess, but not something that deserves to be pressed by Deutsche Grammophon! :)
Deutsche Grammophon, for me, out out the highest quality of releases I've seen. I'm a huge Max Richter fan and almost all of his stuff is through them, and the records are always immaculate, come in poly lined sleeves and sound amazing.

I can't explain it, but the records themselves just feel better too.
They're pressings are obviously superior @Rev. Not sure where they have them done, but it's likely somewhere like Optimal.

For reference, M*ngo get all there stuff through GZ in the Czech Rep, who are used by many many labels, but from experience I can say that their quality control (and willingness to enter into discussion about same) varies quite a bit.
As I said before, it's Crap Shoot City, I'm afraid, when it comes to dealing with the 'bargain' option regarding vinyl pressing.

*EDIT* Just done a little checking - yeah, DG use Optimal in Germany. Very highly rated plant, not cheap, and very busy - not easy to get stuff in their pipeline.
By NathanLurker
Bought 'Sette', and added some Data Discs. I'm catching up on the main line.

Is white noisier than other full colors ? I don't remember which white record I have besides `Zombi - Spirit Animal` and `Ex Machina soundtrack`. I don't know why white would be worse than a full orange, yellow, blue,etc.. But I guess it's possible
By ScoJo
NathanLurker wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:14 pm Bought 'Sette', and added some Data Discs. I'm catching up on the main line.

Is white noisier than other full colors ? I don't remember which white record I have besides `Zombi - Spirit Animal` and `Ex Machina soundtrack`. I don't know why white would be worse than a full orange, yellow, blue,etc.. But I guess it's possible
Must admit I've heard this theory before but personally not seen it in my experience - any solid white wax I've had (and I have a fair few) have presented no issues.
By Hatter313
Funny we are bringing up the fountain, gave this a spin yesterday and damn my side a is still so noisy even after a cleaning. I got mine at the con (with @deaf right there with me haha, better times)

Wish I had the black
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:21 pm Funny we are bringing up the fountain, gave this a spin yesterday and damn my side a is still so noisy even after a cleaning. I got mine at the con (with @deaf right there with me haha, better times)

Wish I had the black
By ScoJo
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:14 am I just hope maybe someone in the future will give it a better pressing. It's one of my favorite OSTs and it's a shame to have a lackluster version .
Yeah, the Nonesuch 'Requiem For A Dream' is a terrific pressing, shame they couldn't tackle Fountain too!
By Revolver_OcelScott
ScoJo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:12 am
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:14 am I just hope maybe someone in the future will give it a better pressing. It's one of my favorite OSTs and it's a shame to have a lackluster version .
Yeah, the Nonesuch 'Requiem For A Dream' is a terrific pressing, shame they couldn't tackle Fountain too!
Love that one too. The only thing I don't like is the cover art. I honestly don't get it.