Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Honestly - is someone at Mondo/DW even look at submitted art / is there no back and forth with the artist about this shit? Outside of impressionable h*pster d***ebag turntable-free millennial 'vinyls collectors', everyone else is just pissing themselves about this kinda shit.

The only thing that entirely makes sense to me is that they only work with artists who have no internet/phone connection, and live in hermitude on some remote Scottish island cut off from civilisation 362 days of the year due to a flooded causeway, and the finished art is carrier pigeoned directly across the sea to Mondo HQ when there is sufficient prevailing wind. To return it for 'tweaks' would involve a Sorcerer-Nitro-Trucks-On-Bumpy-Roads level of effort and danger to man and beast. Somewhere a designer is shouting 'sure, that'll do her'.

Spencerino even tweeted the other day about how releasing this was a mad grail for him. Jeez... y'dthink there might've been a critical eye cast over the, y'know, NEW ARTWORK FOREVER.

Scojo Smash!!

Aaaaand (to quote Hatter), 'scene'.
By havershaw
maybe they’re just trying to not micromanage their artists.

I can see how artists would find that to be a nightmare, but I also think that maybe they could find artists who understand the level of nerdery with which their artwork will be scrutinized.

I mean isn’t anyone at Mondo enough of a nerd to know they used the wrong Shape mask on the cover of H2?
Surely these artists submit conceptual pencil sketches or something?

I can see how I wouldn’t want to be the “actually, you used the wrong mask” guy in that office, but I *can* see how I would be the “I am trying to save you from being crucified by nerds on the Internet by telling you that you used the wrong mask” guy.
By Bub
ScoJo wrote:Honestly - is someone at Mondo/DW even look at submitted art / is there no back and forth with the artist about this shit? Outside of impressionable h*pster d***ebag turntable-free millennial 'vinyls collectors', everyone else is just pissing themselves about this kinda shit.

Spencerino even tweeted the other day about how releasing this was a mad grail for him. Jeez... y'dthink there might've been a critical eye cast over the, y'know, NEW ARTWORK FOREVER.
This. I don't get it. It doesn't ship till November so perhaps it can be corrected before the jackets are printed.

To add to the artwork criticism...being a "grail", you'd think they'd go a little more balls out. I would've liked to have seen something having to do with the GB's battle against Zuul used.
By inksb
havershaw wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:39 pm I can see how I wouldn’t want to be the “actually, you used the wrong mask” guy in that office, but I *can* see how I would be the “I am trying to save you from being crucified by nerds on the Internet by telling you that you used the wrong mask” guy.
They probably have a bunch of people who are thankful to be working there and are afraid to speak their mind for fear of offending and being fired so one of the next 4000 people waiting in line can have a job. I personally would be that asshole and I'd probably say, what the fuck is this pastel palette? Have you seen the fucking movie? The next day I'd be down the street spinning a hot dog sign.
By Bub
There. Now it's even.
ChangeColor_1-10-2019-1-30-2.jpg
ChangeColor_1-10-2019-1-30-2.jpg (194.9 KiB) Viewed 5834 times
Last edited by Bub on Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By deafmetal
havershaw wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:39 pmI mean isn’t anyone at Mondo enough of a nerd to know they used the wrong Shape mask on the cover of H2?
Surely these artists submit conceptual pencil sketches or something?

I can see how I wouldn’t want to be the “actually, you used the wrong mask” guy in that office, but I *can* see how I would be the “I am trying to save you from being crucified by nerds on the Internet by telling you that you used the wrong mask” guy.
You all might remember that such an event occured for the 2LP release of Goldsmith's Alien. The artist had used the alien head design for James Cameron's aliens, rather than the original Giger alien head used in the Ridley Scott film. The nerd outrage was so intense that they actually went back and corrected it before the albums shipped.
By Bub
Guys, I used an app to change the color haha. He's indeed green on the jacket!
GB_BC_SPINE_1024x1024.jpg
GB_BC_SPINE_1024x1024.jpg (226.04 KiB) Viewed 5828 times
By Bub
Ha! I thought you guys had seen the full reveal.

Deaf, the Alien release came to mind when I mentioned that they can alter the art if the jackets haven't been sent to press. I'm not sure if there's enough nerd uproar about this though.
By havershaw
Bub wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:48 pm Ha! I thought you guys had seen the full reveal.

Deaf, the Alien release came to mind when I mentioned that they can alter the art if the jackets haven't been sent to press. I'm not sure if there's enough nerd uproar about this though.
I did see it but didn’t pay that much attention to it, apparently.
By zuko
ScoJo wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:26 pm The only thing that entirely makes sense to me is that they only work with artists who have no internet/phone connection, and live in hermitude on some remote Scottish island cut off from civilisation 362 days of the year due to a flooded causeway, and the finished art is carrier pigeoned directly across the sea to Mondo HQ when there is sufficient prevailing wind.
This sounds sufficiently hipster. Artisanal, even.
By Mateo Sanboval
334578rpm wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:20 pm Me looking at the artwork of most Mondo releases:
Hahahaha

inksb wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:48 pm
havershaw wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:39 pm I can see how I wouldn’t want to be the “actually, you used the wrong mask” guy in that office, but I *can* see how I would be the “I am trying to save you from being crucified by nerds on the Internet by telling you that you used the wrong mask” guy.
They probably have a bunch of people who are thankful to be working there and are afraid to speak their mind for fear of offending and being fired so one of the next 4000 people waiting in line can have a job. I personally would be that asshole and I'd probably say, what the fuck is this pastel palette? Have you seen the fucking movie? The next day I'd be down the street spinning a hot dog sign.
Oh, I don't know. Spencer seems like an incredibly easy guy to talk and do business with.
By havershaw
@mateo yeah, I don’t know anything about him, but maybe his easy going-ness extends to “I don’t want to tell artists how to do their art” and those artists aren’t really obsessive nerds about these movies like many of us are.

I’d probably be more upset about the H2 art if I liked the mastering more. For me the whole thing is kind of a wash.

Although I think the “rainy Haddonfield” art on Halloween 78 is pretty weird considering there’s never any rain seen in Haddonfield in the film. But I love the audio on the release so much that I could not care less about the art.