Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:03 pm Ok, black of the sketchbook and 2lp soundtrack version secured. I haven't parked on mondo for a drop in years haha.
Glad you were able to get both.
By ScoJo
It's an interesting one... I'm very fond of Zimmer and Villeneuve, yet I have no fondness for this movie at all (or BR2049 for that matter) - and consequently, no interest in getting the score. What's it like as a listen?

I picked up the BR2049 score at the time thinking it might be something that would grow on me but I've literally played it through just once. I just don't think it's very good.
By deafmetal
ScoJo wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:47 pm It's an interesting one... I'm very fond of Zimmer and Villeneuve, yet I have no fondness for this movie at all (or BR2049 for that matter) - and consequently, no interest in getting the score. What's it like as a listen?

I picked up the BR2049 score at the time thinking it might be something that would grow on me but I've literally played it through just once. I just don't think it's very good.
Put me in the timeline where Jóhannsson’s BR2049 worked out (wtf happened on this?) and lived to create Dune as well. RIP to a talent lost far too young.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:47 pm It's an interesting one... I'm very fond of Zimmer and Villeneuve, yet I have no fondness for this movie at all (or BR2049 for that matter) - and consequently, no interest in getting the score. What's it like as a listen?

So I felt the same way as you on 2049, but the film did grow on me tremendously over the years and only recently have i started listening to the score again. its not great but it is pleasing in a white noise sort of way, but when the best part of the score is just the cover of the original score...eh, sort of wanted more. i'm not usually all that fond of Zimmer in general, I like about 1/3 of his stuff, so it sort of confirmed that his style isn't always for me.

Dune on the other hand i loved, both almost instantly. (I think the movie may gain new fans when its completed, the truncated conclusion gives no release from the build up since the whole film is essentially act 1) I was actually surprised at how much i like liked the score because like i said, i'm not Zimmer's biggest fan, but this one hit me hard.

As a solo listen? I spent a good few hours listening to the sketchbook arrangement on a long drive and its a great mood piece for me, i also really dug the weirder stuff he dipped into with the throat singing and some of the chanting/atonal stuff that wasn't like a lot of other stuff i'd heard in a while, almost Exorcist 2 type wailing. that being said, its the first Zimmer score i felt like i HAD to have on wax, but as you had the opposite reaction and are a bigger admirer of him than I am it still may not move your needle at all.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:56 pm

So I felt the same way as you on 2049, but the film did grow on me tremendously over the years and only recently have i started listening to the score again. its not great but it is pleasing in a white noise sort of way, but when the best part of the score is just the cover of the original score...eh, sort of wanted more. i'm not usually all that fond of Zimmer in general, I like about 1/3 of his stuff, so it sort of confirmed that his style isn't always for me.

Dune on the other hand i loved, both almost instantly. (I think the movie may gain new fans when its completed, the truncated conclusion gives no release from the build up since the whole film is essentially act 1) I was actually surprised at how much i like liked the score because like i said, i'm not Zimmer's biggest fan, but this one hit me hard.

As a solo listen? I spent a good few hours listening to the sketchbook arrangement on a long drive and its a great mood piece for me, i also really dug the weirder stuff he dipped into with the throat singing and some of the chanting/atonal stuff that wasn't like a lot of other stuff i'd heard in a while, almost Exorcist 2 type wailing. that being said, its the first Zimmer score i felt like i HAD to have on wax, but as you had the opposite reaction and are a bigger admirer of him than I am it still may not move your needle at all.
Thanks fella - on balance it's probably worth me giving it a listen I think. The film, on the other hand, I've tried three times to rewatch and get about 20mins in each time. It's a total bust for me. Not for lack of trying eh? ;)
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:51 pm

Thanks fella - on balance it's probably worth me giving it a listen I think. The film, on the other hand, I've tried three times to rewatch and get about 20mins in each time. It's a total bust for me. Not for lack of trying eh? ;)
haha yeah i think if you've tried three times and can't even get past the first 20 then something about it ain't for you haha. But yeah maybe the music on its own will do it for you, who knows. I quite like the score to hereditary and listen to it often, and I don't like the film in the least.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:36 pm
ScoJo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:51 pm

haha yeah i think if you've tried three times and can't even get past the first 20 then something about it ain't for you haha. But yeah maybe the music on its own will do it for you, who knows. I quite like the score to hereditary and listen to it often, and I don't like the film in the least.
Yeah... it's all just too 'dry' (heh) for me. Self important with all those actors doing their 'very important' acting. I was screaming out for a Kenneth MacMillan or a Paul Smith! Or even Mr Sting!! (and god knows I've said it before, but.... pleeeease stop putting that fucking Chamalamolet haircut in every goddam film fer chrissakes! He's the new Ansel Elgort! Like a friggin weaponised charisma black hole hahaha ;)
By deafmetal
ScoJo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:51 pm The film, on the other hand, I've tried three times to rewatch and get about 20mins in each time. It's a total bust for me. Not for lack of trying eh? ;)
By Bub
Bub wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:33 pm
deafmetal wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:39 pm Oops, missed all the things again.
Spencer confirmed both will be available again during the Summer
Both have been put back up
By tim28212
inksb wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:08 pm Any one pre-order the new ET release? Feb ship date. I may pick up a black copy once they finally start shipping
I got it the 35th Anniversary Edition from LaLaLand Records. They did an awesome job with it. The track listing is the same.

E.T.
By inksb
tim28212 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:51 pm
inksb wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:08 pm Any one pre-order the new ET release? Feb ship date. I may pick up a black copy once they finally start shipping
I got it the 35th Anniversary Edition from LaLaLand Records. They did an awesome job with it. The track listing is the same.

E.T.
I much prefer that cover to Mondo's. Too bad it's $150 now lol
By tim28212
inksb wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:02 pm
tim28212 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:51 pm

E.T.
I much prefer that cover to Mondo's. Too bad it's $150 now lol
Yea, I realized after I had posted that I left out the fact it's out of print. Sorry, my bad. :/
By Hatter313
Just saw this and came by to see hwo we're feeling lol.

this sucks, i haven't loved their output the way I used to in the last few years but i went to every mondocon after the first one and i have a pretty robust print collection.

I knew the end was nigh when drafthouse sold them and that association ended, but this is very sad. maybe those guys can go do their own independent thing again.

Especially sad to hear Rob Jones was one of them who got the ax, I had some really genuinely great interactions with him in person at all those shows, and his vision as their CD fueled a lot of the stuff we all loved about them in their heyday.
By Bub
Wow that's pretty shitty of Funko to do in such a short time since the acquisition. I feel for the staff. They're like family & must literally feel gutted about this. Guess it's time for Mondo v.2 to arise & take it back to roots. I'm sure with the right investors it can be pulled off. And fuck those ugly, wack ass toys.
By Revolver_OcelScott
As soon as they announced the purchase i knew it would not be good. Cheap bobblehead toy company buying a company producing ultra limited prints, records and statues. What could go wrong.

I echo others' sentiments. The past 2-3 years, Mondo's output for me has been pretty lackluster. More and more Marvel and generic stuff and less of the things that made them.

I hope they make it out, maybe a team up with Waxwork who now have a pressing plant. I definitely would have thought Waxwork would be in trouble before Mondo, but after the lull Waxwork had, they started to step up.
By deafmetal
Fuckno “would destroy between $30 million and $36 million worth of inventory”. Utterly depressing bullshit business practice of dumping PVC trash into landfills and oceans. Better not dilute the value of those pops, shitlords.
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:04 am Fuckno “would destroy between $30 million and $36 million worth of inventory”. Utterly depressing bullshit business practice of dumping PVC trash into landfills and oceans. Better not dilute the value of those pops, shitlords.
Ugly garbage. And I’m talking before the landfill.
By Hatter313
deafmetal wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:04 am Fuckno “would destroy between $30 million and $36 million worth of inventory”. Utterly depressing bullshit business practice of dumping PVC trash into landfills and oceans. Better not dilute the value of those pops, shitlords.
Honestly hadn’t even considered the environmental impact of that when I read the article, smh that’s awful to think about and you’re spot on about the last part.