Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Mateo Sanboval wrote:
DigitalHiss wrote:Damn I would have held out for a black copy. My whatever red splatterdot juju version shipped today though!
Same. I wish folks would be a bit more forthcoming with this info. Or just offer a black option along side their cool colored variant. I'm not mad that it's red or whatever, but I would have chosen black if I'd known there was a choice. Similarly, I would've been pretty ticked if I'd bought the split color H4 & H5 only to find that there was a solid color coming later. I'd always hedge my bets these days and go with the most straightforward variant available. Don't get me wrong, I understand why they do it, but...well, just my two cents.
I jumped on the Halloween split colors only because I figured that was the only way to get the box, and I'm a sucker for stuff like that. I'm hoping the sound quality is not as bad as some of the above mentioned. I'm curious if the other 3 are going to be split colors too.
By deafmetal
Revolver_OcelScott wrote:I jumped on the Halloween split colors only because I figured that was the only way to get the box, and I'm a sucker for stuff like that. I'm hoping the sound quality is not as bad as some of the above mentioned. I'm curious if the other 3 are going to be split colors too.
I did the exact same and would have preferred the solid orange, especially if it's on translucent vinyl. I wish we had more info up-front about retail versions.
By chiefbrody
deafmetal wrote:
I did the exact same and would have preferred the solid orange, especially if it's on translucent vinyl. I wish we had more info up-front about retail versions.
Seconded. The cost of shipping and Customs fees are pretty prohibitive. I'd like to know if it's the only way I can get the record or if it'll be easier to get if I'm prepared to wait. If labels were more up front about retail plans, they'd maybe get fewer flippers and less irate social media messages.
By Bezulsqy
All most all DWRC/Mondo/Waxwork releases get a retail variant. Most of the time black vinyl.
I think the only ones that don’t get a retail version are the releases that state it is a single press of x amount.
With some releases the fear of misssing out gets people to by asap without thinking too much :-)
By inksb
I just wanted to pop in and confirm what @ScoJo brought up in another thread. This thing has a ton of surface noise. Side A in particular is very noisy. Side B wasn't nearly as bad. I'm about to put on Side C. A little disappointed since this cost $40.
By ScoJo
Well this just gets worse n weirder.

I picked up the black retail Big Trouble today, and while it's not as noisy as the red/yellow splatter webstore edition, both copies have an issue which I have found - whilst playing the red copy something didn't sound right to me about the start of Pork Chop Express. It sounded like it was running fast for a half second then slowing down!

Now I have the black to compare, the same issue is there too. I've compared both with my OG Silva Screen pressing...it's definitely just on the Mondo version. And now my ears are all fucked - it's sounds like Pork Chop Express is speeding up slightly and slowing down all the way through!!

Anyone else hearing this? Me crazy?
By Mateo Sanboval
This stinks. I cannot check as I gave my splatter away to a buddy (who is a huge BTILC fan and a vinyl dabbler) in anticipation of acquiring a black version in the nearish future.
By ScoJo
Here goes then - listen to the first guitar note on both copies.

MONDO, 2018
Black Retail Version (but the red/yellow splatter sounds the same)

It sounds totally wacky and sped up! Then the note winds down. And it does this through the whole track.
Compare with my Silva Screen original:

SILVA SCREEN, 1986

The first note is spot on, not sharp, and remains constant.

Something has gone badly wrong here with the Mondo mastering etc. And it's an issue that's on both the colour and back versions (pressed from same stampers you have to guess...)

I haven't listened through and compared the rest of the LP with the OG yet, but I'm almost afraid to!
Last edited by ScoJo on Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By deafmetal
I have not opened my copy yet as I was considering selling it sealed and picking up the black vinyl version. Is this whole album off-kilter or just the one track?

Also, what should I wear when I commit seppuku later tonight?

"...the BBC published a survey that stated half the people who purchase vinyl have no intention of ever playing it, while seven per cent of vinyl buyers don’t even own a record player." via NME
By static14
ScoJo wrote:Here goes then - listen to the first guitar note on both copies.

MONDO, 2018
Black Retail Version (but the red/yellow splatter sounds the same)

It sounds totally wacky and sped up! Then the note winds down. And it does this through the whole track.
Compare with my Silva Screen original:

SILVA SCREEN, 1986

The first note is spot on, not sharp, and remains constant.

Something has gone badly wrong here with the Mondo mastering etc. And it's an issue that's on both the colour and back versions (pressed from same stampers you have to guess...)

I haven't listened through and compared the rest of the LP with the OG yet, but I'm almost afraid to!

:(
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote:Seems funky on the lalaland cd as well. Either an issue with the rtr used to digitize the tape. Likely capstan motor and pinch roller problem, or the tape itself is stretched.

http://johndadlez.com/MP3/BTLC_R/BTILC_ ... _Title.mp3
Good sleuthing, Static.
By deafmetal
@static - Excellent analysis and info. I feel better already, and the value of those OG pressings just doubled, my friends. A pity my copy is as warped as a rollercoaster.
By ScoJo
DigitalHiss wrote:Has anyone checked it against an original CD/cassette copy?
I checked against the 2CD expanded Lala Land edition - as deduced by the above sleuths, same issue evident at start of Pork Chop Express. So Mondo definitely used that master for the release, no question.