Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Ordered!

I don't love that art I'm afraid - the title treatment (just a straight-up off the shelf font it seems) is particularly fugly to my sensitive eyes. And it looks like Egg is getting a colonoscopy :-/

But it's all about that sweet, sweet music maaaannn
By NathanLurker
I ordered one too. Even though I have one of those oldies.com warehouse finds (a bit warped) 1986 pressing, I think it's worth it for the extra tracks, nice gatefold, and I mean, got to have all those John Carpenter / Alan Howarth releases.
By deafmetal
@ScoJo - I would have preferred the original Struzan poster artwork with black vinyl, but Mondo is doing what they do. I think we're all excited to blast this expanded album though...

By skeletonbutt
Fucked again by Mondo. Had the poster and vinyl in my cart right when they went on sale, poster then became "sold out" during the checkout process. Didn't even bother ordering the vinyl after that. Sick of this shit. They must make enough money to implement a real shopping cart system instead of the trash they use now. /rant
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote:@ScoJo - I would have preferred the original Struzan poster artwork with black vinyl, but Mondo is doing what they do. I think we're all excited to blast this expanded album though...

By NathanLurker
skeletonbutt wrote:Fucked again by Mondo. Had the poster and vinyl in my cart right when they went on sale, poster then became "sold out" during the checkout process. Didn't even bother ordering the vinyl after that. Sick of this shit. They must make enough money to implement a real shopping cart system instead of the trash they use now. /rant
Not sure how Mondo can have ''fucked you over'' when the vinyl is still available, their system has not crashed, the actual webstore runs smoothly. Now, obviously, it can be argued that it'd be nice if ''adding to cart'' would actually hold a copy for you while you check out, but the company has to consider too that people sometime add to cart and do not check out, in an attempt to hold copies, I guess, for whatever reasons.... It's possible the best scenario would be that the cart holds your item for 5 minutes then it releases your cart if you have not checked out. The only other thing I think we can argue about is that maybe shipping cost is too high. I'm not sure why you'd blame Mondo for screwing you over too.

I guess it's the poster scene that's a bit intense, witha lot of scalpers, and you might wonder why Mondo don't print more copies of each posters, but I personally don't really care about that, because I don't collect the posters and I can't really say what goes in consideration when you license an artist's work for a poster.
By inksb
I hate to be that person but if you have any experience with Mondo, you know to just order the poster by itself immediately (especially since the LP is not limited quantity). I hate the market they have created for themselves but it works and drives the cost of their stuff up so high. I love some of their poster's but others I can't for the life of me understand why people buy them. Mondo's poster game is scalpers first and fans second, has been that way for years.

Also I love that there's two thread for this. One in Death Waltz and one in Mondo sections.
By Mateo Sanboval
skeletonbutt wrote:Fucked again by Mondo. Had the poster and vinyl in my cart right when they went on sale, poster then became "sold out" during the checkout process. Didn't even bother ordering the vinyl after that. Sick of this shit. They must make enough money to implement a real shopping cart system instead of the trash they use now. /rant
Thant stinks, Skel. Sorry to hear it. Lucky for me, I just wanted the vinyl as I'm not too interested in the art on this one. Hope you have botter luck next time.
By Hatter313
Yeah I tried for the poster for the first time in a while, 1 minute after sale the variant was gone, those bots. Got the wax which was the primary so whatever
By skeletonbutt
NathanLurker wrote: it'd be nice if ''adding to cart'' would actually hold a copy for you while you check out
yeah, that's exactly my point. if i add it to my cart, it should be mine until i check out. if i don't check out within a minute or two, then it should disappear. it shouldn't disappear when i'm checking out. if i'm in a physical store and add something to my cart, it doesn't evaporate when i walk up to the checkout to pay for it.
By ScoJo
DigitalHiss wrote:What is the source of this expanded LP? Is it all original from the film or a partial re-recording from Howarth like the expanded The Thing release?
The tracklisting is that of the La-La Land expanded 2x CD from 2009, without the two bonus tracks. This is the complete score, original recordings. No reason to believe that this isn't the source of the Mondo pressing, though they don't mention returning to original masters in their product listing so it looks like it's from that same CD master?
https://www.discogs.com/John-Carpenter ... se/1693065
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:
DigitalHiss wrote:What is the source of this expanded LP? Is it all original from the film or a partial re-recording from Howarth like the expanded The Thing release?
The tracklisting is that of the La-La Land expanded 2x CD from 2009, without the two bonus tracks. This is the complete score, original recordings. No reason to believe that this isn't the source of the Mondo pressing, though they don't mention returning to original masters in their product listing so it looks like it's from that same CD master?
This has been my supposition as well.
By DigitalHiss
ScoJo wrote:
Thanks for the info...I don't own this in any format so I'm psyched to get this LP.
By Hatter313
It’s my favorite carpenter score
Maybe the fog

It’s my favorite carpenter score at this moment
By NathanLurker
Phatso wrote:It looks like shit
If the art works or not is debatable for sure, but saying it looks like shit ? I mean, on a technical level, there's a degree of artistry involved that can't be dismissed.
Phatso wrote:...probably sounds like shit too. I haven’t bought from this label since Twin Peaks.
Kind of a premature opinion, and looks like you have a negative bias towards the label to begin with. If you're conditioned to think it will sound like shit, you're already going in with that expectation.
By Mateo Sanboval
I've just seen that there is a black retail version of this up for preorder already. I don't recall reading that anywhere before now.
By deafmetal
^@Mateo - Nice, that is good to hear.

Twins Peaks has turned out to be quite the touchpoint for Death Waltz/Mondo and customers. I have read more negative comments about that release than any other soundtrack-related album or reissue. It feels very unfortunate to me that such a monumental reissue ended up alienating so many people out there. From my amateur research, it seems that somewhere around half of all customers received a faulty or warped pressing with a lot of surface noise, but the other half received a solid pressing. The very definition of polarizing.
I've noticed a lot of noise in a lot of the Mondo releases I've gotten in the past year or so. Especially so on The Fountain and God of War. God of War was really bad and lots of people also seem to have the same issue.
By Mateo Sanboval
Quality control form a pressing standpoint is such a wide spread issue at this point that the labels that don't, or rarely, have those problems are the ones that stand out because they are seemingly in the minority.
By Phatso
NathanLurker wrote:
Phatso wrote:It looks like shit
If the art works or not is debatable for sure, but saying it looks like shit ? I mean, on a technical level, there's a degree of artistry involved that can't be dismissed.
Phatso wrote:...probably sounds like shit too. I haven’t bought from this label since Twin Peaks.
Kind of a premature opinion, and looks like you have a negative bias towards the label to begin with. If you're conditioned to think it will sound like shit, you're already going in with that expectation.
I’ll recognise the design efforts. I have bought probably half of this labels catalog. The quality needs to improve for me to buy again. Been wanting this score on vinyl for years. If I am going to pay for something that invests heavily in aesthetic and so much that it pushes prices into the stratosphere then it needs to please my eye. If the disc is going to click and pop then it makes it a shitty purchase. I did say probably,I didn’t say definitely.
By Mateo Sanboval
DigitalHiss wrote:Damn I would have held out for a black copy. My whatever red splatterdot juju version shipped today though!
Same. I wish folks would be a bit more forthcoming with this info. Or just offer a black option along side their cool colored variant. I'm not mad that it's red or whatever, but I would have chosen black if I'd known there was a choice. Similarly, I would've been pretty ticked if I'd bought the split color H4 & H5 only to find that there was a solid color coming later. I'd always hedge my bets these days and go with the most straightforward variant available. Don't get me wrong, I understand why they do it, but...well, just my two cents.
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.