Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
I can barely remember that film let alone its score.
By texasvinyl
I don't remember it either.... Then again I think I was extremely high, so that isn't a huge surprise.....
By Revolver_OcelScott
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I can barely remember that film let alone its score.
It's worth a rewatch if you don't remember it. Tom Cruise's best performance in my opinion. I don't really recall the soundtrack though, so I'm going to have to revisit it myself.
By Jimmy_Mike
Revolver_OcelScott wrote:
It's worth a rewatch if you don't remember it. Tom Cruise's best performance in my opinion. I don't really recall the soundtrack though, so I'm going to have to revisit it myself.
100% agree it's Mr. Cruz's finest acting performance. Also it was the introduction to John C Reilly for many.
By Mateo Sanboval
Sounds like none of you dudes have seen Jack Reacher.
By Revolver_OcelScott
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Sounds like none of you dudes have seen Jack Reacher.
I'll be honest I haven't, not due to lack of interest, due to backlog longer than I'll ever finish haha
By chiefbrody
The film is excellent, as is the soundtrack (Aimee Mann songs, which were very prominent in the film). I can't say I remember the score, but I was less interested in such things when I watched it.

I try not to be negative, but that artwork looks terrible in those images (to me).
By maxlevel
Old man yarn time.

In the Uk in the 90s for one or two summers we had a thing called national cinema day, where all tickets were £1 across the country. So when we arrived to watch magnolia, we suddenly realised we now had enough for a huge bag of grass and an additional ticket for Being John Malkovic straight after.

I’d call it a formative event in my life, but I hardly remember any of it apart from being upset about the scene where Malkovic goes inside his own head, and the frogs landing on the car after being scooped by the firefighter plane. If sometimes wonder if national cinema day was done on purpose to mash my brain up like in magnolia.

Those were the days
By monsterworship
you are mistaken.

its the best PTA film, and one of my favorite films. (Well I haven't watched it for a long time)

i don't know the score that well but i do i love the Aimee Man stuff on there.
By Bezulsqy
monsterworship wrote:
you are mistaken.

its the best PTA film, and one of my favorite films. (Well I haven't watched it for a long time)

Agree with Monster. One of my all time favorite films. Made me buy a lot of Aimee Mann cd's at the time. Love that melancholy music.
Looking forward to this release.
By Mateo Sanboval
monsterworship wrote:
you are mistaken.

I don't think I am mistaken in this case. I have it on very good authority that I really don't remember the film and, unless you have convincing evidence to the contrary, I have to go with my trusted source on this one.
By chiefbrody
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
monsterworship wrote:
you are mistaken.

I don't think I am mistaken in this case. I have it on very good authority that I really don't remember the film and, unless you have convincing evidence to the contrary, I have to go with my trusted source on this one.
Sorry to contradict you, chief, but you are indeed wrong. You've just forgot that you DO remember. Apology accepted in advance.
By ScoJo
I've seen this film. And I loathed it! hahahahaha....

I love Jon Brion's work though. I Heart Huckabees and Eternal Sunshine are both right up there for moi.
By Mateo Sanboval
fuuuuuuuuccckk
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By static14
The Brion score is good stuff but this is worth it for Wise Up alone. :)

Looks to be 45rpm to boot.
By SpaceCadet
Best PTA film? In a universe where There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights exist?

Nay ladies and gentleman. Nay.
By monsterworship
static14 wrote:The Brion score is good stuff but this is worth it for Wise Up alone. :)

Looks to be 45rpm to boot.

yeah i'm in the same camp, i was obsessed with that song.
By zuko
Definitely a formative movie for me, or maybe more accurately from a very formative period of movie-watching in general.

Jon Brion is the defining sound of that period for me; Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love, Eternal Sunshine, I Heart Huckabees
By chiefbrody
SpaceCadet wrote:Best PTA film? In a universe where There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights exist?

Nay ladies and gentleman. Nay.
@spacecadet, I've never seen Boogie Nights, largely due to prudishness at the time. I think it's a close call between TWBB and Magnolia. You're probably right though.

@zuko, same here. It was one of a group of films I started to appreciate for more than just whether they entertained me or not. It was also early in my DVD ownership (those two things are related).
By zuko
chiefbrody wrote: It was one of a group of films I started to appreciate for more than just whether they entertained me or not. It was also early in my DVD ownership (those two things are related).
Yep, same here. Was just out of uni, living back at home and smashing through Lovefilm DVD rentals every night.