Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
What an unexpected treat from mondo this week.
By The Cult Leader

Not feeling the art like most WBYK stuff its just not my style *shrug. Never even heard of this movie let alone the soundtrack will have to give it a listen and see if it's worthy of a purchase.
By texasvinyl
I normally don't like stuff earlier than 1967-68. This sounds old to me. And a double LP might be ambitious. For $15 or maybe $20 I'd consider, but at about $40 with tax and shipping it's just too much $$ for me.
By layneharvey
i typically like the 50s and 60 orchestral scores, but only for movies that hold a dear place in my heart, where the score reminds me of watching the film. having never seen this film before, i think i will pass on it. gotta save some of that dough for RSD.
By Aremagod
I didn't know Robinson Crusoe on Mars was a cult classic. This is a pass for me as I don't feel anything about this package at all. Now if they were putting out the cult classic Cabin Boy OST I'd be all over that in a heartbeat!
By blue15
Here's the track list & info from the FSM CD, released March 2011:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/det ... e-on-Mars/

"This premiere release of the complete score to Robinson Crusoe on Mars is newly remixed from the original 35mm three-track scoring masters preserved in recent years on 2” analog tape by Paramount Pictures."

Original Music by (Nathan) Van Cleave, Conducted by Irvin Talbot

1.Seal and Main Title 0:58
2.Fires of Mars 1:01
3.False Alarm 0:50
4.Martian Night 1:25
5.Search for Shelter 5:07
6.Search for Partner 4:06
7.Enter Mona 0:30
8.Homeward Trek/Return to the Cave 3:08
9.Alarm Clock/Alone on Mars/The Flutestone (overlay) 1:50
10.Dinner for Two 1:20
11.Water 1:07
12.Lonely Lights 1:36
13.My Echo, My Monkey and Me 0:43
14.Martian Matzo Balls/The Dream 3:29
15.Strange Grave 1:34
16.Enter Friday 1:20
17.Guest in the Cave/And So to Bed 4:05
18.Language Lesson 1:06
19.Search for Partner (excerpt)/Pit of Death 2:14
20.Ask Them/Storm’s Aftermath 4:45
21.The Attack/Along the Ledge 3:13
22.On to the Ice Cap/Friday’s Sacrifice 3:56
23.Water Hazard 0:56
24.Snow Storm 1:50
25.Finale/End Title 4:06
Total Time: 57:11

Source Music

26.Selection for Tape Recorder 1:11
27.Bagpipe No. 1, 2 and 3 (consisting of "Dixie" by D.D. Emmett) 0:56
28.Organ—23rd Psalm 0:29
Total Time: 2:41

Total Disc Time: 59:58
By Mateo Sanboval
I actually really like the sound on this score. Old school for certain, but in a lovely way. Big and brassy in places which I am a sucker for. I've not seen the film either so it was a totally fresh listening experience for me. W$YK designs run hot and cold for me. I really like this one. All told, the cost is just to high for the potential listens. A lower price point/single LP would probably have me hooked. As things stand I'll have to pass for now. Good music though and I recommend a listen.
By milliondollars
Really like the score but i think the cover art is so weak. this score deserved something different. Really wouldn't mind more old timey stuff like that...
By Mateo Sanboval
SpaceCadet wrote:This one definitely impressed me, I don't have many albums that sound like it and the quality is incredible.
Agreed on the Quality, SpaceCadet. I thought this was a sneaky good release for mondo that flew well under the radar for most folks. When you read about people dismissing an album because of the cover art (which I like by the bye), then you know that there are still some of LazyBen's nemeses left amongst Mondo's fanbase.
By NathanLurker
I thought the art fit very well with the genre of 50's/60's sci fi. It's a release that took me by surprise too. It's not talked about much but it's fantastic really. I was listening to it 2 weeks ago, I got some games on sale from Steam, and spun Robinson while playing half-life (only ever played the first one and got the franchise collection to catch up on the whole story) and Shadowrun returns. I'm thinking it would work well with fallout too. Even though they say it's one of the last optimistic sci fi movie just before we started getting Planet of the apes and other darker and gritter scifi movies, it is quite suspenseful.
By SpaceCadet
lmao, I can attest it goes great with Dark Souls! The movie's great too if you like old science fiction, kind of a 'deep cut' if you will.