Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
From the Mondo email blast:
Clue: the Movie - Original Soundtrack LP. Artwork by Adam Simpson. Pressed on 180 Gram colored vinyl for each of the suspects (Scarlett, Peacock Blue, White, Green, Plum and Mustard) with each color limited to 250 copies each. On sale Wednesday (1/27) at 12PM CST. $28
(click the pics and they get bigger)

And here's a sample if you, like me, need a refresher:
By milliondollars
hey Mateo, that cover art is absolutely beautiful. need this and will pull the board game out once i have it :)
By Hatter313
This is one release where i actually think the random variants would have been a cool idea. normally i'm against them but here i think that it would have been a fun part of the gimmick. now i don't know which to get haha.

Seriously though, i know it falls outside the usual synth, horror, Italian funk library weirdo ambient stuff we all gush over, but John Morris wrote some really awesome music for Mel Brooks' comedies and had a sound that really helped define the next wave of big comedy in the 70's and 80's the way that Mancini and Baccarat and them defined those 60's comedy scores.

This is a great edition, and once of Morris' most fun scores in my mind, super thrilled that Mondo is putting this out.
By Mateo Sanboval
I (still) really enjoy this movie and after reacquainting myself with the score, thought it was really fun as well. The artwork is seriously fantastic and really evokes the feel of the film while still looking, well, cool! When I first saw the variants I, too, thought that a random insert/distribution program would've been a sweet idea. That said, I'd probably go Mustard or Plum. I'll be passing on this one, however. The score is neat and made for a good listen, but not one that I'll revisit often enough to justify purchasing. This would 100% be an album I bought for my love of the film only to collect dust on my record shelf.
By Hatter313
Well, after some careful consideration, I went with Mustard, fits the artwork nicely and on a completely silly note, its a color i don't think any pressings i have are yet, stupid i know, but i needed a way to make a decision.

Thanks Mondo, for bringing one of my favorite John Morris scores to wax.
Last edited by Hatter313 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:I went with Mustard
By texasvinyl
Agree, I thought scarlet and mustard looked best with the jacket art. Ended up choosing mustard. Also, I love mustard, especially spicy mustard with jalapeño.

Does not look like they sold many copies during the December Clue screenings at the Drafthouse.

I would have added to the order (been holding off on Connection because I have the French version already) but shipping jumps up to $12 when you add a third item. Maybe that'll get sorted one day, I'd love to see media rates closer to the actual postage cost.

Will be good to add a Morris score, I only have a couple of his so far.
By Hatter313
@texasvinyl

His stuff is really great, I've got all his work for Brooks, was thrilled that Blazing Saddles got a proper release last year. but that Elephant Man score...interesting to see what a composer so adept at comedies work with such dark material, and for Lynch on top of that. It's a really great score.
By Mateo Sanboval
texasvinyl wrote:I would have added to the order (been holding off on Connection because I have the French version already) but shipping jumps up to $12 when you add a third item. Maybe that'll get sorted one day, I'd love to see media rates closer to the actual postage cost.
Exactly so. I had the two LPs and two 7s in my cart; $14 shipping. Too much tuna.
By jgibbs4053
i was hoping to snag a copy of the Prof. Plum because I loved Christopher Lloyd's character in the movie, but settled with the Mr. Green. I have 3 diff orders with Mondo. Hopefully they will combine shipping on them to save me some money
By texasvinyl
Wow, can't believe they sold 1250 copies of Clue and less than 250 of the Micalizzi. Who would have guessed.
By thedeepness
Wow, Traveling all day and was just able to get online and this sold out. Pretty surprised that many sold so fast. Anyway, if anyone got an extra they want to sell or trade hit me up. Don't care about color.
thedeepness (at) yahoo.com
By Occhionero
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
texasvinyl wrote:I would have added to the order (been holding off on Connection because I have the French version already) but shipping jumps up to $12 when you add a third item. Maybe that'll get sorted one day, I'd love to see media rates closer to the actual postage cost.
Exactly so. I had the two LPs and two 7s in my cart; $14 shipping. Too much tuna.
I woul love to pay only 14$ ;-)
23.90$ for one LP....
By texasvinyl
Yeah that sucks. and the rates are going up 20% or so i think. It's not good for business that's for sure.
By Mateo Sanboval
Occhionero wrote:I woul love to pay only 14$ ;-)
23.90$ for one LP....
That is painful. Please don't misunderstand, Occhionero, I don't mind paying high shipping costs as long as they are fair. Mondo has inflated rates. Always have. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but that was just too much. Especially when I knew I could find two of the records I was purchasing for the same total cost, but with free domestic shipping. I routinely pay in the $20 range for international purchases, but that's the going rate. As I mentioned elsewhere, I declined to buy some international Library reissues straight from the source because their shipping was inflated as well. Sometimes the principal of it gets to me more than others. And sometimes I shake my piggy bank dry into the gaping maw of the Internet in a frothy, shaky vinyl haze.
By chiefbrody
texasvinyl wrote:Wow, can't believe they sold 1250 copies of Clue and less than 250 of the Micalizzi. Who would have guessed.
I think the answer to this can be found in the following equation:

Mondo + limited variants

That's not a criticism of the label, just why I think something as relatively obscure as the score for Clue can sell 5x as many copies as a dynamite DW release.

Unfortunately international shipping has just got too expensive across the board. I simply can't justify buying direct from Mondo anymore when I can pick up at least two other records within Europe for the same price. I'm sure it's the similar in the opposite direction. Again, not a criticism of the label, as I think c.$20 to ship to the UK is about average these days.
By texasvinyl
Definitely. The $24 occhionero paid is what I'd have to charge for a 1lp gatefold. For heavy doubles it can cost me $30+ in actual postage. And they're gonna go up. Not good for biz at all. You guys love records in the UK & EU more than we do here, I'm always surprised at the % of my Discogs orders that are international. Feel terrible enough when I have to charge $24 to ship a $15 record.
By Hatter313
My Col. Mustard copy showed up last night, i actually really like that the hype sticker was on a nice bag, no need to cut it out, no need to find another bag.

Haven'g given it a spin yet, but soon.
By layneharvey
i received my Miss Scarlet version yesterday, and it is a lovely deep red. really digging the whole album. i will probably listen this afternoon, if the kids aren't watching some cooking show when i get home from work. :) i listened to the new Slasher Film Festival Strategy (which also arrived yesterday), and it is a slow burning synth jam. i totally dig it.
By Occhionero
I am sure (and we all are) that Mondo knows they would sell more Records, when shipping costs weren't that high. It is not in their hands, unfortunately!
By Occhionero
What I really appreciate ist the idea with the poly bag and the sticker. So you can enjoy the full artwork without killing the shrink. Please do this for the future releases.
By texasvinyl
Occhionero wrote:What I really appreciate ist the idea with the poly bag and the sticker. So you can enjoy the full artwork without killing the shrink. Please do this for the future releases.
I peel them carefully and transfer to 4 mil poly outers. Some labels are tricky but the ones Mondo uses are usually pretty easy to do.