Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
So this is my favorite ST score, hands down, but there's no accounting for taste (or nostalgia). As such I already own it on LP and the aforementioned FSM CD. That said, this is a pretty sweet looking setup and supposedly remastered for vinyl by James Plotkin (according to the article). Available 1/13. Track listing after the photographs.

01. Main Title (3:06)
02. Surprise on Ceti Alpha V (0:45)
03. Khan's Pets (4:19)
04. The Eels of Ceti Alpha V / Kirk in Space Shuttle (3:53)
05. Enterprise Clears Moorings (3:33)
06. Chekov Lies (0:40)
07. Spock (1:12)
08. Kirk Takes Command / He Tasks Me (2:07)
09. Genesis Project (3:16)
10. Surprise Attack (5:07)
11. Kirk's Explosive Reply (4:01)
12. Inside Regula I (1:35)
13. Brainwashed (1:24)
14. Captain Terrell's Death (1:58)
15. Buried Alive (0:57)
16. The Genesis Cave (1:09)
17. Battle In The Mutara Nebula (8:07)
18. Enterprise Attacks Reliant (1:29)
19. Genesis Countdown (6:34)
20. Spock (Dies) (1:53)
21. Amazing Grace (1:26)
22. Epilogue / End Title (8:41)
23. Epilogue (Original Version) / End Title (7:29)
By J.R.
Just yesterday my boss gave me his Soundtrack collection, about 60 in total, which included a 1982 pressing of this soundtrack. Only a single disc so it wouldn't be as complete as the newer ones, but nice to have in the collection anyway... Especially considering he gave me Star Teeks 1 to 4 amongst the bunch.
By Mateo Sanboval
J.R. wrote:Just yesterday my boss gave me his Soundtrack collection, about 60 in total, which included a 1982 pressing of this soundtrack. Only a single disc so it wouldn't be as complete as the newer ones, but nice to have in the collection anyway... Especially considering he gave me Star Teeks 1 to 4 amongst the bunch.
Dude, what a sweet boss. Your boss is a boss. Bauce.
By J.R.
Agreed totally. The pile contained stuff like (and I'll point out all year of release)Planet of the Apes, the first three Superman films, Jaws 1 and 2, Tron, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Starman, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi... The list goes on!
By Mateo Sanboval
This goes up for sale tomorrow and, in spite of myself, I'm leaning towards picking it up and unloading my older copy in favor of the expanded score on LP. Curious to know what other folks are thinking.
By vi_resmusic
J.R. wrote:Agreed totally. The pile contained stuff like (and I'll point out all year of release)Planet of the Apes, the first three Superman films, Jaws 1 and 2, Tron, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Starman, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi... The list goes on!
Let me if your going to unload any of them.
By layneharvey
Mateo Sanboval wrote:This goes up for sale tomorrow and, in spite of myself, I'm leaning towards picking it up and unloading my older copy in favor of the expanded score on LP. Curious to know what other folks are thinking.
i wasn't 100% sure about picking this up. it has been so long since i have seen the movie (since i was 7 or so), i couldn't remember anything about the score. i am not a huge fan of the star trek series, but i watched an extended sequence from the movie, and man, that score sounds great. almost like something that would fit in a 70s hammer film. sign me up.
By Mateo Sanboval
Howdy, Layne! STII is perhaps my favorite Horner score; certainly top three. I think I'm springing for it. Haven't bought a Mondo release in ages. Perhaps since Scanners/The Brood.
By layneharvey
hey mateo! yeah, the more i listen, the more i am really loving it. makes me want to go back and watch the film 30 years later! :) i have bought most mondo releases, some on a whim, and have been pretty damn happy for the most part!
By Mateo Sanboval
Does anyone know what the Mondo release model is now? I'm aware that they have done away with random inserts, but do all their releases make it into retail stores? Are those editions the same as the website variant or another edition? Perhaps it is just on a release by release basis?
By deafmetal
@Mateo - For the most part, Mondo now puts up a "webstore exclusive variant" that is usually a special colored vinyl, or in the case of the Death Waltz co-releases, sometimes it also includes an exclusive gatefold sleeve as well. You should see all of these releases in a standard edition for retail in black vinyl or possibly a different colored vinyl. They have been really good about getting all their new releases into the retail channels, usually via LitA in North America. Hope that helps.
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:@Mateo - For the most part, Mondo now puts up a "webstore exclusive variant" that is usually a special colored vinyl, or in the case of the Death Waltz co-releases, sometimes it also includes an exclusive gatefold sleeve as well. You should see all of these releases in a standard edition for retail in black vinyl or possibly a different colored vinyl. They have been really good about getting all their new releases into the retail channels, usually via LitA in North America. Hope that helps.
It does, deaf, cheers. That's what I figured especially with the popularity of some of their licenses in the past year or so. The packaging bit about the DWRC releases is largely a new one on me. Good to know.