Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By freshoj
(sorry, probably beating a dead horse, but I legit don't want to stop Ghosty from speaking his mind when he doesn't like something. Unfortunately, it is a bit preachy of me to try and tell him how to do it. oh, and go Pats and haha very funny with all of the inflategate jokes.)
By ironjaiden
I don't know a thing about football so it never occurred to me. Great observation though. I'm a stickler for little details like that when I can be.

Go Yankees!
By deafmetal
Am I the only one who thought this was a Cypress Hill repress from the thread title?
By albatard
I'm not going to be as violent as Ghostfires about Mondo but i've come to the point that everytime Mondo announces a new release, i wish that this is not a soundtrack i care about.
This is not about the quality of the releases (some were good, some were less good in the past), i won't complain about shipping rates as i think the label can't do anything about it...but man, am i the only one to find this disturbing having to pay 30$ for a single LP and 35$ for a double?

I know the price subject is a bit tricky, i know that some of you will answer "if it's too expensive then don't buy it", but being a fan of the genre since i'm a kid, i can't see myself passing on them...
I can also add that i've been buying records online since the end of the 90's, 12$ was a regular price for 12'' at that time...i've seen prices going up everywhere, so that's not the point...but i find the recent 5$ increase on Mondo LP to be pretty disturbing. I still by coloured 12'' from Relapse for less than 18$.
By Lino Banfi
Surely Mondo have missed a trick by not including the supremely inappropriate disco version of the main theme! :)

Would have been great as a hidden bonus, or free flexi!

[video]http://youtu.be/bHE0Sb8vHxg[/video]
By layneharvey
man, i came late to this party and missed all the fun. i bought the seahawks variant. just to see how it looks in person. i've seen red/white/blue tri-colors before. as i stated before on the forum, i am not a huge john williams fan, but i do enjoy this score, and the presentation looks pretty great, so i jumped in feet first.
By karloffsidekick
[quote=49873]... am i the only one to find this disturbing having to pay 30$ for a single LP and 35$ for a double?

[/quote]

Look at the bright side...at least Mondo didn't buy a Super Bowl commercial...if they did you'd be paying $50 to $200 for a vinyl album like Jeff Bridges is charging (and that music is putting me to sleep...quite literally!).

By maxvelvet
@karloff About the new Jeff Bridges album must be said that the 100% proceeds go to a charity. ;)

P.S. anyway it is expensive...
By deathwaltz
I have asked townsend to resend to you
I am just waiting to hear back from them
By deafmetal
@albatard

I'm sure others have more info on this topic, but it might not be a completely fair comparison for a Relapse/metal band LP vs. an OST score LP that has to be licensed from a studio (or multiple studios), etc. Just a thought. :) I buy a lot of metal vinyl as well, and I do notice that soundtrack vinyls tend to run higher across the board.
By albatard
@deafmetal : you may be right, that comparison might not be a good one, just wanted to spot that it was still possible to buy high quality releases these days for less than 20 bucks but the context is not the same.

I never had much troubles spending (way too much) money on records, especially if the packaging is a bit special (i'm a total nuts for these DW textured sleeves for exemple)...but this recent 5$ increase seemed too much for me, i found myself passing on Pet Semetary (a childhood classic to me) because a voice in my head kept telling me "no, you won't spend 35$ for this".

That's it, i'm not complaining, i'm not saying mean things against Mondo...but this might be the turning point for me...those last 2-3 years have been just awesome, so many great releases, i couldn't have dream of that a few years before it started.

I knew from the start that this would not last forever, but i never thought that price raises would be the way this ends...at least to me
By texasvinyl
I won't disagree, $35 is perhaps too much at Mondo's current quality point. These (generally) don't have heavy tip-on jackets, posters, download card (extra licensing cost), litho etc that can drive up production cost. Black Sunday cost me $45.46.

I'd love to see the same product for $25 retail, or maybe the same $35 price for a "death waltz" style deluxe packaging.

I'd also love to see $5.00 or $5.50 media mail rate, $7.00 is more than anyone is charging.

We will see. I would guess Spencer is interested in offering more options on releases than we have seen in the past. Maybe we'll see a deluxe/retail release dynamic on some of the titles further up the pipe.

By freshoj
It is a double LP in "a Shrapnel pierced Die-Cut interior gatefold" so I am not surprised it is on the more expensive side for Mondo.

But I agree that as a rule, new vinyl prices are creeping up way too high for my tastes. at least part of why most of my cash goes to used records these days.

By pyrexia
All I could think of when reading this thread was the fact that when I started to get heavy into music in the early/mid 90s, most records cost $6-10. Now granted this was hardcore and punk, but times have changed.
By chandler75
Yeah, I agree that vinyl has become too expensive. If you look at the Mondo pressing numbers, this would indicate that as well, especially since Mondo's releases used to sell out in hours/minutes (some still do of course).

- 850 copies of Looper for $60 still available
- 1087 copies of The Visitor for $30 still available
- 1151 copies of Pet Sematary for $35 still available

And probably the most indicative: 801 copies (out of 1,000) of Iron Giant Metal Variant for $150 still available...

If these have actually been pressed, which I assume they have, what's the chance that they will actually ever sell out, unless they are discounted considerably?
By manuorru
The case of Iron Giant metal at $150 is IMO senseless, also considering that someone reported it cost $110 at MondoCon!
Unfortunely it was Christmas gift from my girlfriend. When I opened it
I'd have strangled her!!!
Honey, I love you so much, but if you spend $150 (+ $35 for shipping!!!) for a record that it would cost $30 if it wasn't in a can (which doesn't sounds!!!), you legitimize labels to issue them!!!
By albatard
@rasmus thanks for the info..this is actually pretty scary!
So i think i just have to wait for Pet Semetary's price to go down then!
By Bub
Mondo has the Seattle Seahawks variant (Blue, Silver & Green ) if anyone missed out.

LINK