Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By layneharvey
no IRON GIANT topic yet? anyone heard anything about when the leftovers of this go on sale? we have SHAUN OF THE DEAD today and 2001 coming in november, but i have heard absolutely nothing on the gentle giant. i really would like to get this one. let's chat. if anyone has info, chime in!
By texasvinyl
No news on an official release date that I've seen. Anyone interesting in trading a blood-filled Friday the 13th for my metal iron giant B variant (they were $110)?
By zachbehm91
My guess is late NOV/early DEC. The entire movie takes place during that time - the movie progresses through fall with the trees colored, and into winter with snow on the ground - also back in the day-day cartoon network would play it 24/7 on thanksgiving. Justin gets into that kinda stuff, so that is when i feel like it will come.

At least i hope.
By The Cult Leader
If I remember correctly there is a scene where Hogarth is swimming in the lake, then the the Iron Giant does a cannonball causing a tsunami. Lol
By discophagus
Hi Texas, I have no Iron Giant lp, but would you like to sell me the blood filled friday? Just name a price...
By ClaytonRyan
Since it's one of my favorite movies (I get a little teary every time I watch it) ,I got impatient and purchased a copy off of eBay. I lucked out and was able to find a gray steel variant that was "Buy It Now" and wasn't horribly priced. I got in the mail yesterday and it's pretty stunning and sounds amazing. The vinyl isn't just gray, it really looks like fibrous steel. I can't recommend it enough.
By The Cult Leader
I won an auction on ebay for $42 for a sealed copy. Hopefully it's a steel.
By ClaytonRyan
@TheCultLeader I will keep my fingers crossed for you. It's really nice.
By ClaytonRyan
@layneharvey You seem to be really good at Discogs. How do I add the steel gray variant to the site? The only two versions are the black vinyl and metal box.
By jdubtxn
It's pretty easy to do just be careful the first time as I have accidentally over written a Prince release and pissed off a bunch of die hard Prince fans.

http://www.discogs.com/help/forums/topic/242478

Here is some chat on how to get started. Just make sure you take good pics and size them correctly.
By ClaytonRyan
@jdubtxn Thanks! I appreciate it. I will be as careful as I can. The last think I want to do is piss of some Mondo fans. Heh.
By layneharvey
@claytonryan - sorry i missed this message. you know how the email notifications blip in and out. you can do this:

1. go to the black copy page on discogs
2. click EDIT RELEASE under the Release section in top right corner
3. click COPY TO DRAFT, then OKAY to the prompt - this takes you to your Drafts page
4. click the EDIT/SUBMIT action, which opens up a copy of the black release - making changes here will in no way affect the original listing for the black vinyl, so no worries there

from there, you can edit it to specify the color of the vinyl and add/edit any other release information, then submit it.

once it has been submitted, you will want to add it to the master release so it appears with all of the other versions. to do this, go to the artist's page (Michael Kamen), locate the listing for THE IRON GIANT, then click the down arrow to the far right of that row in the list - you will see an Edit Master Release option.

click that, then you will see some check boxes appear next to the IRON GIANT releases that are already part of the master release. just check the box next to your new release entry for the grey vinyl, then complete the submission notes at the bottom of the page. after a few seconds, you should see it appear under the master release.

let me know if you have any other questions. i am still a novice at it, but i finally got the hang of the basics after adding around 25 releases.
By ClaytonRyan
@layneharvey I got through all of it, but it wouldn't let me edit the master release. Hopefully, I won't get a rabid Discoger scold me.
By layneharvey
@claytonryan - i'll check it out real quick and see if i can add it.
By ClaytonRyan
@layneharvey I owe it all to you. You are a gentleman and scholar.
By NMA
I want a copy of Iron Giant vinyl. Period.
By discophagus
any news about Mondo to put the Iron Giant on sale on their website?
By manuorru
Heard the news about Iron Giant on Black Friday?
$150 for Version B. How much was at MondoCon?
By toosoonjunior
@manuorru, if I recall, it was $110 at Mondo Con. Way too rich for my blood. I'm very happy with my $30 Metal Gray variant of Version A.
By BasementHorror
I'm thinking that the price jump might have something to do with the cost of mailing this baby...but still...

All of the mondocon releases to this point have been the same price or less than they were at the con. $40 is quite a markup.

I definitely prefer version B...the package, the artwork, everything. And I get why it's so expensive. That being said, I'll probably pass on this, and end my mondo completist streak. For now anyway.

I just can't justify $150. I can only spend so much on vinyl for myself this holiday season, and re-sub time for DW and OWS is right around the corner...
By texasvinyl
$150 is pricey. I did get this at MondoCon, I love it and have some buyers remorse at the same time. The metal cover is really cool, but it's basically an extra $80 (now ~$120!) for a metal slipcover. Jay's art looks good, but so is the version A art.
By manuorru
Thanks @toosoonjunior!

Yes, probably the weight and relative shipping charge is the reason of price skip, but we are talking about a record, and $150 (+ shipping, at less $25 overseas, + customs fees risk) is really too much.
Many of us passed for Looper that was $70 (with "bonus" 7inch).

Well, I don't want make a moral (is this correct? :-)), I was at Recordplanet in Utrecht, The Netherlands last weekend, and I spent over $300 for a 40 years old ultrarare Springsteen single...
But $150 for a new record, probably out of a 1000 pieces edition, is something like immoral, unethical.
By ironjaiden
I think of the metal version as more of a niche collector's item. It's still got the soundtrack in there, but if you're just keen on owning the album there's the normal version as well.

I'm actually trying to be cognizant of how much these things cost to produce now when I'm working out designs. I really love fun visual gimmicks but sometimes those drive up costs way too much on things.