Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
Thanks! went for it, even though I don't usually go for compilations, and the price seemed high until i realized it was all screen printed and bespoke. I've got to say it was a killer soundtrack and I LOVE Tyler Stout's work. seems like a pretty special record to have in the collection, and definitely one that i'd spin a fair amount.
By toosoonjunior
The artwork looks great, but the music isn't for me. It's a pass for me.
By ghostfires
comment removed.
By Hatter313
eh, yeah it seemed high, but that's what a DW release usually comes out to for US + shipping with the exchange rate, so i'm not unused to it. I'm willing to spend a premium on design and presentation when the record is something i'd like
By NathanLurker
this is of very little relevance, since the 2LP version with the SCORE AND MIXTAPE is available at ridiculously low prices at the moment. I got mine from Amazon at 14$.

This release seems to be targeted at a different crowd than record collectors. I really don't see the point of releasing this as a record instead of a poster.

easy pass.
By Hatter313
that's a fair point, i was attracted to the design of this as much as anything.
By Spun out of control
View it as a poster + free record and the pill becomes easier to swallow. Seems like these guys are coming at it from the artwork side anyway, with making a point of plugging the screen printed sleeve, art cards etc....

As others have pointed out if you want a cheaper LP version at least there is one available on this occasion elsewhere. Don't go a bundle on the soft rock tunes myself though, so saving my pennies for something else that grabs the ears...
By NathanLurker
Yeah that design is super great. I'd have maybe thought about buying this release if the score was included.

I have to say, I'm more interested by the score than the mixtape to begin with.
By texasvinyl
Did you like the score? Tyler Bates stuff doesn't really do it for me. 300 was pretty good, but everything since is a little generic.

Price tag on this is steep, but it will be a nice screen printed package with Tyler Stout art, and at least they aren't doing randomly inserted color variants.

I didn't get the 2xLP Guardians yet so I'll probably skip that one and go for one of these.
By NathanLurker
yeah Texas I gave one spin to the complete score up to now, so I got to listen to it a few more times to build my opinion on it, but it's good I liked it more than 300. Tyler Bates is not my favorite composer either and it IS a bit like a generic hollywood blockbuster score. But I'm sometimes in the mood for these overblown epic score.

on the other hand, I got a minimal problem with the mixtape, is that I dont, like all the songs on it. I wouldn't buy it alone, but the score plus mixtape is a sweet deal because the mixtape is so central to the movie.
By antimax
$50? I don't understand the price. Is it a licensing thing that pushes the price up that high?
By texasvinyl
Hand silk screening the jacket and insert adds to the price, and I'm sure licensing costs were on the high side for this one. Colored wax adds to the pressing cost, and they have to pay Tyler Stout. Plus profit margin.

I am curious what they mean when they say the inside of the jacket will be silk screened. That seems to imply this will be a gatefold?

By antimax
@texasvinyl - what you just described is the same description as most vinyl releases, minus the hand-silkscreening. :) I guess that boosted this release up. Eh, not my cup of tea either way.
By zachbehm91
I really do not understand complaining about the price on this one.

Don’t like the price? Don’t like the features? Get the regular cause there actually is one this time!(albeit from another company, but still with great artwork)

I thought that is what we all said on Looper? I guess this just proves no one will ever be happy about anything I guess. Some people will complain that the sky is blue.

I mean Jesus, they are giving you a screen printed jacket, inner artwork, a mini screen printed poster, 180 gram colored vinyl (the normal release is not 180, and is just black). I see this “spencer change the random colored vinyl!” Sh*t all the time on here – well here you go! Maybe Mondo is listening! Maybe this is Spencer at work! They have redeemed themselves for the time being with the price of this release. Super reasonable in comparison to Looper, especially since the regular version is readily available for people who just want the music.

This is probably going to be one of the key pieces in my collection. Definitely of my soundtracks/scores. Not a big fan of compilations, but with Guardians of the Galaxy they use the music much like a score is used, so that is why I personally love it. Also I like that the version out now has the Score – so I don’t feel like I am double dipping. Plus the score is fairly average anyways.

really excited, this wait is going to kill me.
By antimax
...It's ok dude, I wasn't complaining. Was actually just curious if anyone knew what warrants the price of a $50 LP. Now I know...? I'll admit I have some concern of the vinyl market following the path of the comic book market in the 90s, but that's a different discussion that people have already started elsewhere. Buy the album, enjoy it, cool!
By ironjaiden
Yeah the higher price on this one has everything to do with the way it's presented. Screen printing is considerably more expensive than offset. Think of it as a Mondo poster in the shape of a gatefold with a cool record and mini print inside. Definitely a unique collectable.

I'm listening to the score on Spotify right now. Options for everyone. That said I ordered one myself, I love Tyler's art here.
By zachbehm91
Im still not understanding antimax. Most comics are not screen printed. Screen printing costs alot, that is why gig posters go for 30-40, and mondos go from 40-80. The price makes complete sense for what you are getting.

I mean Jurassic Park was 40? This is 10 bucks more. Come on now.

Again, its not some cheap canvas bag on a basic gatefold LP, you get a lot of stuff included in this.

and UNLIKE Looper! You can get a regular vinyl edition on gatefold with great artwork! and it even comes with the score!
By antimax
Eh... I'm not saying comics have anything to do with screen printing. I just have a concern with the bloated inflation of "collectability", something which made the comic industry crash and burn in the 90s. There's plenty of info out there about the history of that. Wouldn't want to see the same thing happen to ost LPs.

Also I understand now, I don't need any more convincing. So please stop trying to convince me! Haha. :)
By ironjaiden
IT'S A SCREEN PRINT! YOU WANT IT! YOU WAN'T IT BAD!!!
By antimax
AHHHHH! PLEASE GOD, GIVE ME ITTTTT! SATAN I BEG OF YOUUUU!!! :P
By static14
Bobbi? Or i guess that would really be don't make me buy again.

my bad :)
By zachbehm91
I do agree with you on your comment antimax. I think it is all getting a bit bloated. That is why i do have a problem with them saying it is Limited Edition but it is still some how on sale lol.

but personally, i am not buying it for that, i am just a fan of the soundtrack, and i was really hoping for a better packaged version than the one that has come out, with 180g vinyl, unlike the one that is out. I like when i feel like the creators love the record they are putting out. The one that is out now does not feel like that. I mean the front artwork is great, it is not just simple photographs - but they don't even have an artist listed.