Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By guyremix
Hahaa actually i agree OWS are amazing.
By black7towr
[quote=32910]

<div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title">Garmonbozia wrote:</div>
Because the anger never seems to come from their service but this weird, paranoid perception of them as these super arrogant hipsters that don’t care about anything but money. I do not get it.

You need to take some time to read through the Mondo thread then, as you obviously have not paid any attention to it with a comment like that. There are loads of comments about their poor customer service, and all kinds of negative issues people have run into when dealing with Mondo. I would read through that thread from the start before you pass off the dislike for Mondo as simply as dislike for hipsters…that’s a very uneducated summarization.
[/quote]
I don't think it's uneducated at all. Just because you or someone else has had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone is. I have been buying from Mondo for nearly 6 years and have never had a problem with anything I've purchased. I've also been to many events that they have put on and everyone is quite accessible and friendly. I have ZERO issues with Justin and everyone that works with him.
By texasvinyl
Speaking of Justin, noticed on Jock's twitter feed that he put Justin Ishmael, Jay Shaw and a bunch of other guys in the center gatefold for his Shaun of the Dead artwork. I am not a comic guy but I did order a copy of Wytches (drawn by Jock) with the Francavilla cover.

By scentofdeath
Talk about a throw off :)

I think all the complainers wanted was a $30 Looper vinyl soundtrack. No fancy panties.

Pretty simple really.
By layneharvey
yeah i bought two copies of DRIVE and HALLOWEEN and both were black, although i did have luck by doing this with POLTERGEIST and RAID: REDEMPTION. i since stopped buying two copies and just get what i get, and had tremendous luck for a while, getting variants of TIMECRIMES, MANIAC (rob), BLUE SUNSHINE, HERE COMES THE DEVIL, CORALINE, and THE VISITOR. the last few have been standard black - THE OMEN, CAT IN THE BRAIN. all in all, though, very happy with mondo. skipped a few releases that were not for me, but you can't fault them for releasing scores that some people don't like. that's not their fault, right? :)

i did end up tracking down the black MANIAC (their first release) a while back for a decent price, as well as the variants for THE BEYOND and THE DEADLY SPAWN - both of those are gorgeous as hell.
By ironjaiden
What's sad is that my likeness there is pretty dead on. Guess I look a bit like a zombie. :)

I've heard a bit about folks wanting a cheaper Looper option and believe me it was discussed quite a bit. At the end of the day we (Mondo, Nathan and I) really didn't like any of the options that would've made the package less expensive to make.

Sure, we could get rid of the burlap sack and just have the gold bars but that literally removes the purpose of the package design.
By ghostfires
x
By jgibbs4053
whats wrong with them wanting it to have nice packaging? Just dont buy it if its too expensive.
By ghostfires
x
By Hatter313
@ghostfires,

While i see your point, I guess my question is, what's wrong with the whole package being something special. Sure i'd love it if things were cheaper, but I also love a hand crafted piece of art that really helps elevate the record into something more. yes, the music is what's important in a lot of ways, but so is, i think, the presentation for a lot of these. i have numerous ways to digest the music, but one of the joys of Vinyl for me is the fact that an album, by the very nature of its size, allows for a visual experience as well as a sonic one. It's why Spencer's DW label is so special, in that equal prominence is given to the design and the aesthetic appeal of these items as the music. Mondo, who was known for their art before they became a label, is the same way. and on a side note (or maybe its really is the main point) these artists like WBYK, Stout, and Jay here (and all those other awesome artists out there) need to make a living, and in these special reissues, I'm buying their work as much as i'm buying the music.

Example, I don't need 3 copies of the tales from the crypt theme on wax, But 3 special pieces of design work by Goulish Gary, Absolutely.

Now, Looper held no interest for me, but if a similar package had been offered for a movie I love, for a score i love, I'd be on that like white on rice.

Just my opinion on the matter, sorry for the long winded post
By freshoj
"Some people want a record for the MUSIC. I just find it disgusting that labels would hold music for ransom."

There is a legitimate complaint in there (despite the hyperbole and vitriol).

Has anyone talked with Mondo about the nature of the licensing and any future plans for vinyl issues of this music?

I am sure it is not their intent to deprive anyone of anything - in fact, their intent is to provide something awesome (which they sure seem to have achieved).
By ironjaiden
Wow, you entirely missed what I was saying. When we started working on Looper I came up with the idea of basically replicating a prop from the film and making that the vinyl packaging. I had a very expensive vision as to how this thing was going to be presented. We tried every conventional method for getting it made and wound up having to craft each one by hand.
There just wasn't a way to do that for cheap. Nothing to do with caring more about packaging than music or anything like that. We worked directly with Nathan Johnson and got him to do all kinds of cool stuff just for this release. The outstanding music is the reason we poured so much into the design of the thing. It deserves that kind of treatment.
I'm simply letting you know that at the end of the day we couldn't figure out a way to turn my packaging concept into a cheaper thing. If we could have, we would have.

We're all incredibly proud of the release and the response has been really wonderful. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers by giving some insight into the process.

I don't visit forums very often, now I remember why.
By layneharvey
@ironjaiden - please keep coming back here, man. lots of good folks that love hearing about the insider information. i didn't personally buy LOOPER because i wasn't a huge fan of the music as a standalone piece. i have not seen the movie yet, so maybe after doing that, it'll hit me in a different way. but the packaging is stunning and i would love to see one in person. :)
By ghostfires
x
By ghostfires
Guys - sorry, just forgot my complaints. I've just got to accept thAt mondo is not the label for me. I'll try to get music they release in another way in the future, as I just cannot support what they do.

I'm not trying to fight with anyone, I wanted to make clear a point that I felt strongly about that no one else would. I've realized this is just not a place to critique any of the soundtrack labels...as they've proven you can get banned for that. No problem, I'll pull back all my comments and critiques. I will just stick to reading about new releases.

Again, sorry I upset some people and that anyone felt I was being negative just to be negative. That's never my intent...I honestly believed I could express my thoughts and concerns here.
By chandler75
I have to admit I don't understand why everything absolutely has to be released on an affordable/non-limited/non-special vinyl.

I consider these releases as art meets music, and the music is readily available on several other formats.

Vinyl sounds good, sure, but would it really ruin the music to own it on CD or as a download instead?

One of the reasons I didn't buy this is because a) it's expensive, b) I don't recall the music as being anything special, and c) though the package looks cool, I sort of don't want a canvas bag in my record collection (a little too special for my taste). But I have no problem with its exclusiveness.
By chandler75
And I, too, hope Jay sticks around. I love his work.
By Darren LD1984
I love the Looper design. The reason why I love soundtracks so much, it that (for me anyway) it's a way of breaking down the fourth wall and immersing yourself in a film that you love. Like sticking on some headphones and going for a cycle on an Autumn night listening to some Carpenter. It can put you right in Antonio Bay.

First thing I loved when I saw the Looper design was how like a prop it was. If you love film and the idea of how music allows you to inhabit a film's reality, then the idea of design doing the same thing is genius.

Killer work @Ironjaiden
By unpopular_poet
I'm with Rasmus here. The beauty of vinyl is that you can't own it all. If you could, it wouldn't be fun anymore. I just can't get made at a company for making a beautiful product. You have to prioritize...nothing more. Don't get mad when people release something expensive and crazy -- prioritize -- you can't want every single record....that is just impossible. That packaging for Looper looks friggin awesome -- but I have no intention of buying it -- because I would rarely enjoy it. There are other things I have spent way too much money on that I cherish -- someone cherishes this -- no need to get mad about it. I hope everyone has a great day/night -- Chicagoland just took a crazy turn from Summerish yesterday to late fall today!
By ironjaiden
@ghostfires Critique is not a problem, it's how you go about it. I'm not doing anyone any favors by coming around here and Mondo isn't above criticism. I'm just not a fan of the bickering and negativity inherent to these types of forums.

I realize you deleted your responses (why the hell do you guys do that? If you say it, own it) but basically you took a handful of things I said and warped them into something I most certainly did not say. At no point did I state the packaging and exclusivity were more important than the music. That's an absurd assertion at best.

Feel free to pipe up when you don't like something. Feel free to pipe up when you absolutely love something. The thing I would try to avoid is being so antagonistic toward people who might know a thing or two about the subject at hand. Does no good and makes it less fun to chat about this stuff. Dig?
By antimax
@ghostfires - no one's been banned here... It seems that philball dude did that to his own account.
By ghostfires
No, I don't dig at all. You've explained nothing, clarified nothing and I still have no reason to change my view.

Let's just agree to disagree here, because I'm just simply giving up on Mondo and that's all there is to it. I know my business isn't going to be missed, Mondo will still continue to sell out of everything they make...I just can't allow myself to support it.

I deleted my comments, not at all because I regret saying them or don't want to "own" them, because I'm in fear of being removed from this forum for speaking out against mondo.

I'm not looking for any smart ass comments, I'm not looking to fight or degrade anyone. No one seems to want to let this shit go - but I'm done with it. Just accept that there is one person in the world that doesn't want to kiss Mondo's ass and move on!
By ironjaiden
@ghostfires I can see you and I are going to get along beautifully.

By Bub
[quote=33734]
[/quote]

Martin & Woody!