Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
oh i love that
By Mateo Sanboval
sonnydexter wrote:no chance then .... unless! .... nope, no chance
By Mateo Sanboval
Two things. First: $225? Get bent. Second: That. Jay. Shaw. Poster. I have so many of his prints that he's basically wallpaper at my house and he's gonna cost me again. What a jerk.
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By texasvinyl
$225, that is a gargantuan markup!! Fuggin uuuuuuge, bigger than Trump's wall. It does look awesome though.

Also that facehugger ski mask is hilarious. If I didn't live in Texas I might buy one.
By zuko
Can anyone remember how much the blood-filled Friday 13th was by comparison?
By Bezulsqy
zuko wrote:Can anyone remember how much the blood-filled Friday 13th was by comparison?
That was 85. And waxwork said at the time that the didn't make any money on in.
It is a very expensive piece to make. 225 is a lot. But you will see flippers selling it for double or triple and people paying those prices.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote:
zuko wrote:Can anyone remember how much the blood-filled Friday 13th was by comparison?
It is a very expensive piece to make. 225 is a lot. But you will see flippers selling it for double or triple and people paying those prices.
No offense meant to you, Brother Bezulsqy, but what does the amount of blood (Alien or otherwise) that flippers are able to squeeze out of their prey have anything to do with justifying the cost of these LPs? I'm being a bit hypocritical here because I am rooting for a black LP of this amazing score, but $225 seems like taking the piss. Making something intentionally scarce, yet factoring in the secondhand markup ahead of time? It's like Ticketmaster telling you that the show you want tickets for is sold out, but not to fret because you can always buy them through the Ticketmaster approved resale website. Double the fees and you're out three times the cashish? What a bargain! Prices like these cannibalize their own market. That's nothing against the idea of lovely, extravagant variants like this one or those of us (myself included sometimes) who collect them. Just an observation on the weakening of the infrastructure of our hobby.
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By deathwaltz
Oh you guys,
I love how you are certain we are making huge margin on this and that 'our markup is huge'
I wasn't aware that we had told you how much we have had to pay to get these made....
after paying Curtis to actually make them , the licensing fee etc I can assure you we are not making money on them , they are just a fun (yet very expensive) record that you either want or you don't .....

The amount of time, work and effort that has gone into these is nuts, if we wanted to make money on them we'd have commissioned 500 and charged $500 !!!
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Bezulsqy wrote:
No offense meant to you, Brother Bezulsqy, but what does the amount of blood (Alien or otherwise) that flippers are able to squeeze out of their prey have anything to do with justifying the cost of these LPs? I'm being a bit hypocritical here because I am rooting for a black LP of this amazing score, but $225 seems like taking the piss. Making something intentionally scarce, yet factoring in the secondhand markup ahead of time? It's like Ticketmaster telling you that the show you want tickets for is sold out, but not to fret because you can always buy them through the Ticketmaster approved resale website. Double the fees and you're out three times the cashish? What a bargain! Prices like these cannibalize their own market. That's nothing against the idea of lovely, extravagant variants like this one or those of us (myself included sometimes) who collect them. Just an observation on the weakening of the infrastructure of our hobby.
With my comment I didn't mean to address the price Mondo charges, but to indicate the high collectability of this record and prices people are willing to pay for them.
I agree wholeheartedly that the business of creating scarcity and marking stuff up is highly (insert something negative here that I can't come up with at the moment).
I see this version more of collectible piece in the same way Mondo make their toys and other products. If it was the only version of the soundtrack, that would be a really terrible thing, but that isn't the case.
By monsterworship
I don't have a problem with the price, its just unfortunate that I won't be able to get one since they will be instagone. and i got to decide between the other Alien droppings they are doing at the same time.
By Hatter313
I'm hoping the pins and patches are available at my local alamo for the screening, I have like three different nostromo shirts and at least two weyland yutani variations, so yeah haha
By texasvinyl
I mostly wanted to make a Trump joke about his dumb ass giant wall. Plus I'll probably buy one anyway and let my wife fuss about how much I spent ;)

I am curious what all goes into the process of getting these done.
By Little Walter
I'm getting one if I can. I think they're beautiful, and I'm gonna try and frame it.

Also, I'm pumped about Prometheus, and I'm glad the limited version is up to 1,000 - plenty to go around.
By The Cult Leader
How early do you plan on showing up Walter? Piper is going to VB this for me since I'm helping him out with the Durieux print in New York.

I hear austin will have about 20 or so copies so decent chances for anybody that shows up early.
By Little Walter
I'm talking to Piper about it, and I'll probably get there when he does so I'll have someone to talk to (although he may be getting there early as hell). I've got two chances to get a copy, and I don't want to miss it.
By deafmetal
Mateo Sanboval wrote:...I am rooting for a black LP of this amazing score
@Mateo, I might be misunderstanding you here, but there is already a retail variant of Mondo's Aliens 2LP on black vinyl. It's a lovely package!

Good luck to everybody on the big drop!
By Mateo Sanboval
zuko wrote:
deafmetal wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:...I am rooting for a black LP of this amazing score
@Mateo, I might be misunderstanding you here, but there is already a retail variant of Mondo's Aliens 2LP on black vinyl. It's a lovely package!
https://www.discogs.com/James-Horner-Al ... se/7502802
Haha! A poorly worded sentence courtesy of my thumbs and autocorrect. I should save the ranting for a keyboard. I am already in a casual relationship with the the black Lp version. I was trying to say that it's a bit silly of me to have such a strong opinion on a variant like this one because I largely prefer black vinyl these days. Most of the time anyway...
By chandler75
texasvinyl wrote:I mostly wanted to make a Trump joke about his dumb ass giant wall. Plus I'll probably buy one anyway and let my wife fuss about how much I spent ;)

I am curious what all goes into the process of getting these done.
I know the Waxwork F13 was handmade (and apparently the creator was a bit pissed that he didn't get any credit), so I assume this is the same case here...