Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By chandler75
Hmm... could you please check how they marked the shipping label? Usually they mark it with a value that is "VAT friendly".
By toosoonjunior
@disco, ouch, that is awful. :(

I know we 'Mericans complain about international shipping fairly frequently, but even we don't get hit that hard when buying internationally.
By Dollarhyde
The worst part is most of that is not tax but the fee for them to process the tax. £15 was added last time I got stung £8 of which was for royal mail to process it.

The UK is expensive.
By nick1972
got a Black version and got stung for £11.11 Import charges

absolute joke - don't mind the £3.11 import charge but the £8 Royal Mail fee when lets face it all they do is put it in a pile in the sorting office

not put me off buying from Mondo as this is the first time I've been hit with charges but if memory serves me right they do usually put a $5 or $10 "vinyl record" note on the front but this time it was $25 and that equates to just over the threshold of £15

not Mondo's fault just our country I'm afraid

however if suppliers could make the value on the front under the £15 mark I'm sure we'd all be happy - dunno if it's possible though
By texasvinyl
Too bad no one here is a government lackey that can shed some light. I suspect all packages are subject to custom inspection. What would happen if a vendor marked a package as vinyl LP, $10 value, but then the custom official found a receipt inside for $35?

I am glad we don't have these import fees and taxes here in good ol 'Murica
By chandler75
Damn, I have 2 releases on the way from Mondo... I sure hope they put $5 or $10 on the label as usual, otherwise I'm also done ordering from Mondo.

The VAT here in Denmark is 25 % + the royal mail processing fee which is a whopping $27.
By texasvinyl
If it makes you feel better, I just got my renewal info for our company health plan. The employer + employee rates (the employer pays a significant portion) are almost $8,000 for individual only (no family). The individual + spouse + children rate is $22,500.

So your taxes suck, but we get fucked for stuff like healthcare.
By siforster
Too bad no one here is a government lackey that can shed some light

Hello!

I'm not a Government thing but I work in airfreight and this is sort of what I do for a living, but on a much bigger industrial scale. Now follows a very lengthy goings-on...

Technically, EVERY commercial shipment that enters a country (UK here, but it's little different anywhere else) should be subject to import duty and tax. Because that's a massive pain in the arse, there are permissable levels of value under which these things don't apply. And with the mail service, they handle so many packages per day and the number of staff is being constantly whittled away, it's still a massive pain in the arse, so very few packages get properly scrutinised. Well, that used to be the case.

Especially since the (former) Royal Mail got privatised, this sort of thing is getting looked at more as it's a rather profitable venture, but it's still the cheapest alternative even if you lose out.
The ceiling for avoiding duties and taxes altogether has lowered recently, from £20 down to £15 - almost certainly to nab more DVD imports than anything else. H.M. Revenue and Customs are quite an accommodating bunch however and are pretty reasonable with their excise duty fees...

+ If a parcel is declared (and I'll come to this bit in a minute) at a value over £15 but less than £135, then VAT is applied at 20%, but no import duty is collected.
+ If a parcel is declared as being over £135 but the total import duty amount payable is less than £9, then the duty amount is waived. 20% VAT still applies.
+ If a parcel comes in at over £135 and the duty amount comes to over £9, then you have to pay the duty amount, plus VAT charged at 20% of the declared value plus the duty amount.

Not sure what the current duty rate is for vinyl records - I'm back in work on Sunday so can look it up if none of the labels here who import US stuff into the EU pipe up with this in the meantime, it's done as a % of the declared CIF (Carriage, Insurance and Freight) value of the goods which factors in the flat unit cost, any other shipper's charges such as packing, plus the postage.

How to get round it? Well, it's still a bit of a lottery but there are ways and means... The shipper can underdeclare the value of the goods on the CN22 (little customs label) to under whatever amount - LITA sent me 2 Mark Lanegan Anthology sets in a massive box and said it was worth $5. BUT this isn't surefire: one thing that can get overlooked when filling the bloody things out is that if they don't clearly state the currency the value is declared at, then the people at the other end are to assume that it's in the currency at destination. Something valued at $18 and the $ gets missed becomes £18 over here, so a thing that is under the threshold when it leaves goes over the threshold when it gets here.
Also, if the person inspecting said package sees the declared low value and suspects shenanigans, they can open the package to see if there's an invoice in there. And if there is, they can/will use that value instead.
So - ask your vendor if they can show x amount on the CN22 and leave the invoice out of the box. They are well within their rights to say no, but most will bend a little if they don't do so as policy anyway. Ask them to declare it as a gift - this is pretty crucial as the tax-free threshold rises (for the UK, it goes from £15 to £36), this is the easiest way all-round and the shipper doesn't risk an almighty (albeit fairly unlikely) bollocking for misdeclaration
Avoid Amazon internationally because, well, Amazon, but also because they will always declare the full amount of whatever without exception.

And so, for the benefit of anyone still reading this drivel, the small matter of the Royal Mail Processing Fee.
It used to be £2, then went up to £4, now it's £8. And although I've fallen foul of this a fair few times, I'm going to defend it.
they're not just thrown on a pile and then delivered. Anything that gets picked up for charges (Vinyl LPs will get done more often than others because they're big boxes) has to be properly declared to Customs, and someone has to sit there and do it. It's not the hardest job in the world (which is why they let me do it), but there's still a whole bunch of stuff to be done and it all gets weird in terms of quotas, competition and suchlike so the poor schmo at the keyboard has to put in where it's come from, what it is and what it's worth. Sounds simple, but the "what it is" bit is a pain in the balls as everything that can possibly move and be sold anywhere will have an HS code which is an 11-digit horror (852410 is the chapter heading for gramophone records with the last 5 digits being further subdivisions I can't believe I'm doing this shit on a Friday night I'm just glad there's wine here with me). This has to be done for every single declared package over the threshold for VAT and above. And as the processing fee goes in as profit, this will probably increase again soon.

Yadda yadda etc. £8 is cheap. If you bring stuff in by courier (DHL etc), you will get hit for these charges pretty much 100% of the time as they declare everything to customs whether it's low value or not (their shipping charges will usually go over the threshold anyway), and they go from £15 - £20+ a time. Commercial Freight Forwarders (Hi there!) will charge £35+ 100% of the time and make up another load of charges sometimes depending on how nice you are to us on the phone. The Royal Mail, USPS etc are a massive bunch of wankers from the person who throws your valuable stuff in the back of his van to the dick who leaves rubber bands in your garden and hides your mail in the bin, but for what they do (compared to what everyone else does it for) is nothing short of majestic. Sadly, they're realising this and are working their way up to everyone else's price structure rather than vice versa, but that's commerce.

And now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play outside.
By siforster
Ooh - and I'm finally listening to this record!
I must admit I bought this almost solely on the strength of the cover art, which is one of the best that I've seen this year. Outside of the Queen and Ash songs (and the Dawn Of The Dead thing at the end) I barely remember the score in the film. It's a cracking record, and one that I will be returning to a lot - lots of panicky, scratchy stuff going on reminding me of a slightly jazzy version of the first Silent Hill (game, not film) soundtrack.

By Spun out of control
For what it's worth my Shaun of the Dead arrived with a $25 value on the outer box which is roughly £15, so right on the tax borderline as I understand it.

Luckily I didn't get charged extra.

I am pretty sure Mondo packages I had before were marked at $10 or thereabouts.

As a belt and braces when I remember I do usually ask those sending vinyl from the States to be aware of the above.

Seems you were unlucky on this occasion @disco...
By DISCOSUCKS...
I hate to say this @Rasmus, but my strong suspicion is that for whatever reason going forward, Mondo are now declaring the true amount of orders on the customs forms. I haven't actually picked up my SOTD from the depot yet, but it MUST be the true value since I'm paying duty!

As I say, if that's the case......I'm out.

The odd Mondo thing shows up in stores here, but hey - -on the plus side, it finally means that I have a good reason to stop playing along with you all in the Mondo Drop Crap Shoot-o-Rama! Which is just fine by me frankly. It has gotten really, really old.
By Whip Wilson
Si, as a filthy colonist this only tangentially effects me, but thank you for that post. Very interesting and well presented. Chin, chin.
By chandler75
Yeah, thanks for that Si.

It's interesting, because as you say, a low value is not always a sure thing. Just a few days ago an order for 2 vinyl from a well-established US label on this board was picked up and I got a letter from customs saying they needed further information before they could release it.

When I got the package, it had clearly been marked as a gift and $5 value. I'm not sure if they opened it, but there wasn't any invoice, so that might be the reason.
By ambertiger
Just got my Shaun of the dead no customs chgs. But the same day I got a parcel from newbury comics with a customs chg of £11 pounds.
I have a few orders coming from America & if this is now going to be happening often I sadly will have to stop buying.
By Dollarhyde
@Si

Thanks for the info. I still think its a floored system if the processing fee is consistently alot more than the actual tax being processed.

Do you know if all parcels go through this, or are they randomly pulled out the bag. I've not always looked at the declaration on my parcels but the process seems quite random.
By ambertiger
Just had another letter from customs saying I owe them £27.94 for a parcel from newbury comics again so looks like I will be stopping purchasing from them
By siforster
@Dollathyde - For underdeclared stuff, it's random...ish.
Same as with going through the Green Channel at airports, Customs people will be looking for certain things that stand out. With stuff declared low, it's big, heavy boxes or parcels that look like there's something other than what's declared on the outside. Records will fall into the former category more than CDs/DVDs as they're big and bulky so importing will always be a bit of an occupational hazard I'm afraid, especially if you're importing a few things at a time in one parcel to save on postage.

@Rasmus - Was the shipment made through USPS or a 3rd party? Fedex/DHL/UPS etc will always query stuff on entry as they charge for almost everything that passes through their service, and a lot of US vendors tend to use them as they can be cheaper than USPS for bulky item. It's rare for postal/customs types to really go to any depth with anything they don't suspect to be contraband, unless they're really bored.

On the whole, I've imported loads of stuff over the years and I tend to get charged about 2% of the time which I think is not bad going (I didn't get done with my Mondo SotD, compared to others who have). When I get the dreaded silver postcard from the RM it's a git but compared to what I should have been paying over the years it's really just one of those things and part of the way we do things. It looks unfair when the bill is itemised (as they tend to be now), but it's still way cheaper than any of the alternative methods and there's a lot less chance of getting caught out. Enjoy it while it lasts, UK types; now that the Royal Mail is in private hands, the processing fees and number of instances they're applied are likely to rise in order to make more money.
By RunOff
All good info.
I am hopeful mondo/dw marriage means they will be able to send a pallet of records across the pond so each release ships from both countries.
The first thing I would love to see happen is Mondo sends over a container of proper cardboard mailers to DW. I'll be writing them about a severly dinged corner after I confirm the vinyl is OK...
By siforster
A transatlantic doings of records would indeed be lovely. Not sure how the relative costs of freight against postage would work out though - airfreight isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination and seafreight is a lot slower and charged by the cubic metre/metric tonne so wouldn't be economically viable for the volumes that we're used to seeing from these guys. There's also pickup/clearance/handling/delivery fees in there too which is where the forwarders make their own money... Still - even though they'd have to pay the import tax on the bulk shipments (I'm in work tomorrow so can tell you what the rate is for records, that'll be a treat for everyone I'm sure) the VAT can be claimed back in full, presuming that DW are VAT-registered.
Ultimately though it's not really of any advantage to a vendor to do this apart from the risk of losing repeat custom from people getting stung at the other end, which is probably why nobody really bothers.
By chandler75
[quote=41483]@Rasmus – Was the shipment made through USPS or a 3rd party?[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it was USPS - Priority Mail International.

As I said, it was marked as a gift and $5 value and still I got harrased (maybe the Danish customs/postal service are more a pain in the butt that the British). Could I have just told them "Isn't it marked as a gift? Isn't there a value declared?"

They wanted an invoice, a PayPal receipt, an item number and the place of purchase.
By siforster
Wow, that's harsh of them.
If it's marked as a gift, there wouldn't be a Paypal receipt or an invoice due to it being a gift! I guess though that if you don't supply them with what they ask though (they must have been really bored that day) then they can be really sniffy and confiscate it/return it to sender, which is really over the top behaviour for something that isn't really worth the hassle.
By guyremix
i have also had a customs charge on mine to the UK. First time it's ever happened. i have ordered loads from them before even Looper didn't get a charge on it so am rather gutted that SOTD has been labelled with a $25 value & just by a few pence goes over the limit we are allowed before charges. If this continues i can't order anymore. I've emailed them & await a response.
By chandler75
If my Mondo package is marked at price also, I'm going to email them as well and ask if this is the new way going forward. We should all do that and let them know this means the end for overseas business.
By maxlevel
Hello all! First post here. I just received my sotd LP in the UK from mondo with no customs charge. Value on the box was marked as $5, package includes the extermination disc but as its a christmas present for my other half I can't check which variant I've got just yet.

Hope that's useful info for y'all. :)
By henschus
Well it seems that it isnt mondo specific. My tron legacy just arrived here in germany (hell yeah!) also marked at price and i had to pay another 6 euro. I can live with that but its strange cause i never had to pay taxes on top.