Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By unpopular_poet
liftman -- it is all about exclusivity! Imagine the ability to brag to another guy about having 1 of 5 as opposed to 1 of 200....the braggin rights alone make me want to drive to Austin and load my car up....then again, I think I would probably end up with 10 copies of Oblivion and RAID test pressings!

I actually think this would be cooler if they were donating all of the money to charity. Neko Case did something a few years back where she raffled off some test pressings for charity.
By MODAREC
I like the idea but $100 for a blind buy is a fucking joke. TP's should be bunged in at random with normal Mondo orders as a free bonus.
By manuorru
I think to make test pressings availaible for fans is a good idea, but you cannot thinking about to make money over...
Consider a random gift for hard fans/subs, a lottery, somehow to donate for charity, benefit eBay autions...
Dunno, but not scalping...
By manuorru
"we are excited to finally share them with the die-hard Vinyl collectors out there"
Strange way to share, against 100 bucks!!!
By Peek-a-boo
Yeah, if I was at the conference & I'd had a beer or two, id probably buy one of these if the packaging was amazing. It's about as limited an item as you can get...
By Hoodini
it's just cheap ;)
By manuorru
Ah ah ah @discosucks
By MODAREC
Crazy that some peeps want them just because they are so limited. Fair enough if you knew what you were paying for. I can't see the point of spending so much on a release when you may not even like the music. If you get an album you don't like you may as well have bought a 100 dollar sleeve. Each to their own I guess.
By antimax
We all know that these are gonna be flipped to high-heaven. Although, it's almost like Mondo is flipping the records themselves at that price point… I generally love what Mondo does but this is seriously fucking stupid.
By ghostfires
Another thought I had about this disgusting action by Mondo...this is the worst kind of consumerism, just flat out desperation for cash. You are suppose to be buying records for MUSIC...music that you actually enjoy. This has nothing to do with art or music or creativity - this is strictly a cash grab, and appeals to those that care more about collecting than listening.

To charge loyal customers $100 for a piece of vinyl, absolutely irregardless of what music is on it is sickening. I never wish failure on companies regardless of how they treat us simply because it is someone's livelihood, and everyone deserves a chance to earn a living and pursue their dreams...but I truly hope that this particular endeavor completely fails for them. And I hope for Mondo's future, Spencer will do away with this absolutely ridiculous cash grab method of selling.
By NathanLurker
Well, to be fair, selling a test pressing is not a sale that's targeted at loyal customers and people that wants to buy the record only for the music.
By dumaisaudio
In rare cases, test pressings might sound different than the final released product, although probably not in a good way if that's the case. It definitely sounds like a cash grab to me.
By DISCOSUCKS...
"we have about 200 to go around..."

= approx $20,000.

Just to put this BS in perspective ;)
By hncreature
$100 for Babs...IN!
By chandler75
I don't think the loss in goodwill is worth $20,000...
By NMA
This is getting nowhere...
By philball1974
Whats with all the upset guys. Mondo can't do right for wrong.

For that cash a record collector could get something great, and maybe thats the point.

If you're not happy with this one then it isn't for you. Move on to something that does please you.
By Vapourmire
I thought the entire buying process for Mondo's Jurassic Park was unhealthy, but this sure is some kind of badness. We'd better hope Deathwaltz doesn't go down this route.
By antimax
@philball1974 - I get what you're saying, and trust me, I'm gonna move on!

It just is totally bizarre to me to charge $100 for this. It's off-putting because, it just plays-in to the whole "exclusivity factor" of recent OST releases. As far as I can see, and I may be ignorant, there is no, NO reason to charge $100 for such a thing. It's not like the packaging is fancy, it's not like they did an extremely small run that cost them big $$$ to produce… it's just leftover test pressings that they presumably have nothing else to do with.

Just seems like a slimy way to get money from suckers. Once again, I've basically got nothing against Mondo; I'm a fan.
By philball1974
What if its a test pressing of something they never released?

But you're right of course @antimax these companies are getting on the ost bandwagon and trying to milk it and whilst you have collectors who are completists then it's easy money to make selling them. And they will sell them all!
By siforster
Pre-Flipping? Maybe it's the Minority Report Soundtrack and it's some sort of ironic in-joke.
By unpopular_poet
I definitely don't think it is something to get upset about -- if someone wants to pay $100, great -- it is not like it is an exclusive release that will shut out the average collector -- Mondo isn't doing anything wrong here -- someone figured, this is what people will pay (extreme collectors) so we will charge that - and that is what will make it worth our time (I suppose?). I guaranty that the ones that pop up on eBay will sell for $200-300. The cost of premier items is always through the roof -- from toys to books, etc. Am I crazy for having spent $240 on a Cemetery Dance printing of Stephen King's Carrie? Not in my mind -- and that is a total exclusive, limited run -- I could always go back and read the already existing HC or paperback copies I have -- but I wanted this one. I will also get the remaining 5 books as they are released -- and be super fucking psyched about it. Thats going to be over 1k in Stephen King Books that I already have multiple copies of. I don't see this as much different -- some people love the entire Mondo run -- and are happy to basically roll the dice...not me, but I will guess there are more than 200 people like that..Looking at all of my previous posts you will also see that I am not a Mondo worshipper. I am pretty sure that they ruined the Halloween OST with that garbage they released last year -- but this -- this is just a exclusive package, meant to be expensive and exclusive -- BTW -- have I ever told you about the copy of Stephen King's The Stand that I want to buy for $3500? Have a great weekend everyone -- especially everyone lucky enough to be at Mondocon.
By deafmetal
The test pressings for sale thing is also showing up in the underground metal scene, although they are only priced around $20 more than the final released product, and you know what test pressing you are getting. I still think it's a bit obsessive though. Back in the day, we bought test pressings from the used bin at the shops from the local record labels.
By hncreature
Test pressing = black press...with blank / no cover

The Mondos with have a "cool"cover...in the eye of the beholder for we all know there is an artist that wasn't our favorite...and a random choice...hoping it's not a release you didn't like...all that for $100

Let the flippers have'em and if some idiot wants to pay the flipped cost...the jokes on them