Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By dumaisaudio
Scroll down to 2001: A Lost Score

http://blog.mondotees.com/2014/08/21/mo ... -and-more/

"Mondo is releasing the lost score for 2001: A Space Odyssey on vinyl for the first time ever!

Stanley Kubrick’s seminal masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyssey is known for its classical musical cues as much as for its vivid imagery. What few people know is that those cues that are forever associated with the film were a last minute revision on the part of Kubrick. An original score exists, composed for the film by the late composer Alex North (A Streetcar Named Desire, Spartacus) that was abandoned during post-production. North did not know his score was discarded until he saw the film’s premiere screening."

Sounds pretty cool, hopefully a standard edition will be released.
By Occhionero
Are there any leftovers?
By antimax
I think they're going up for sale online in November. Can't wait for this one!
By Occhionero
Good for my October budget!
By maxvelvet
[quote=34189]Good for my October budget![/quote]
Lucky you that you still have a budget! :D Can't wait for this vinyl! And yes, they will be released next month ;)
By Whip Wilson
This is the only recent and future (announced) Mondo release that has piqued my interest. Really looking forward to it.
By VinyLOST
you mean this copy? i ran to the Mondo booth at MondoCon to grab this, and lucky me, they told me i grabbed the last one in stock at the booth right before the TCM screening!!!!!

[IMG]http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y46 ... 1c90ec.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y46 ... 9590df.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y46 ... 48aed1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y46 ... 43c1a7.jpg[/IMG]

with light through it, its so beautiful!!!!!
[IMG]http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y46 ... c231fd.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you Jay Shaw for another amazing job!!!

By layneharvey
god, that variant looks amazing...
By toosoonjunior
This variant really is brilliant. I don't typically lose sleep over variants, but this one is hard to deny. Probably the best I've seen.

I took this pic on my phone, no filter, etc etc.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Shag me silly with a shoe horn!
By dumaisaudio
Looks like they've saving this one for last with their leftovers being put up for sale. I wonder how many are left, as it seems this record got the least amount of attention out of their MondoCon releases (and by attention, I mean flipping). Still high prices, but not as bad as the others.
By Alekspectre
When you look all these shots, you are in the deep space instantaneously :)
By Whip Wilson
[quote=34514]Looks like they’ve saving this one for last with their leftovers being put up for sale. I wonder how many are left, as it seems this record got the least amount of attention out of their MondoCon releases (and by attention, I mean flipping). Still high prices, but not as bad as the others.[/quote]

Does Iron Giant have a release date yet? I know they've said "November" for 2001. This definitely had the least amount of buzz at the convention, but, to me, it's the pick of the litter.
By hncreature
I do like the Mondo random variant deal and sometime I get black...The Visitor and Coraline which I would LOVE the variants for...but usually I'm good either way - I didn't even know they had a variant for 2001 but I did get the it and I'll have to say that that whole package could be the best yet
By Whip Wilson
Finally seeing a release tomorrow. First Mondo since Cat in the Brain that I've been really looking forward to.

LINK
By zuko
Shame, the sleeve design and variant colour are absolutely fantastic, except the music does nothing for me.
By reelybored
Can I listen to samples somewhere?
By Dr.Funtime
This is very frustrating. The variant looks stellar, as does the jacket, but the music is not something I would ever listen to. However, if Mondo released the original 2001 soundtrack, I would be in, no questions.
By Whip Wilson
Ease yourself, Doc. I'd wager the rights to the soundtrack are quite costly. It was hard to get the original pressed at all due to the different ownerships involved. Not to mention it can be found with ease; you can pick up a sealed copy for less than the cost of a new Mondo reissue.
By ghostfires
This one is kind of funny - all you guys typically go crazy over orchestral scores, and I never get that excitement because I really don't enjoy orchestral stores at all. Now this unused orchestral score comes out after so many years of being hidden away, and most people seem to not like it or are uninterested...meanwhile this is one of the only orchestral scores I've ever actually enjoyed, and really like this release from Mondo!

What's going on here?! Seriously tho, I already own this and can definitely vouch for the high quality packaging. It looks great, feels great in hand, and to me the full listen is really good.
By Whip Wilson
Folks should be stoked that the big boys are still in love with this thing enough to dig something like this out. If it's not your style, perhaps the next one will be. Making unavailable music available? This sort of thing is good for the game.
By maxvelvet
Everything related to Stan Kubrick deserves maximum attention! If you read carefully, this soundtrack was discarded really few days before the presentation of the movie and mr. North (for those who don't know him he was a great composer and he was the first one to get the Honorary Academy Award) worked closely with Kubrick to satisfy his aim to reproduce and even improve a contemporary score! I think that in this case Mondo should get a true applause for this opportunity to release something not only cool but of IMHO of historical interest!

P.S. by the way, 2001 it's my fave movie, and it was my first soundtrack on vinyl! I like the work of North but I think that at last, Kubrick did the best choice by using classical music, the movie became timeless! And I love VERY much the work of Ligeti, a real genius! ;)