Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By renpen21
Sounds excellent with the cover and 7" extra tracks. Be interesting to see how "Limited" it is !
By Whip Wilson
I'd wager that package is a Mondocon or a SDCC exclusive.
By ghostfires
Am I missing something here with why this is interesting? I just listened to it all the way through, and it's never really musical. Just lots of clanging and suspense builds/percussive chases. It sounds like any typical hollywood soundtrack, but perhaps at times stealing some atmosphere style from Max Richter. It reminds me of Gravity a bit too, which I couldn't care less for either. I'm guessing this release is just for people that like owning all soundtracks...because it can't be for music lovers!
By milliondollars
^ ghostfires put it just so right...
By zuko
Lush! Love the subtle LOOPER typography on the bullion.
By liftman2013
Which is your opinion... while I haven't heard the samples here, I like the Gravity Soundtrack, don't understand while it gets such a bashing. Just cos its a modern movie...

While I don't hate The Visitor soundtrack, I don't understand the immense praise everyone's rained on it. It isn't that fantastic...
By ghostfires
Just to be clear - I couldn't care less if a soundtrack is for a modern movie or not. I don't like Looper or Gravity because they consist mostly of non-musical passages, and suspenseful builds that just fall away instead of becoming musical themes. That's not just my opinion, I believe almost everyone that has listened to them would agree. That's just the kind of score they are.

Stating that they aren't very musical isn't the same as saying they aren't any good. It's stating a characteristic of the soundtracks that leads me into not enjoying them as stand-alone pieces of music.

Not sure why you would drag in your opinion of The Visitor, as it has no basis for comparison with Looper and Gravity...with exception that they're all soundtracks. I understand that some people may not be able to get The Visitor soundtrack, most likely because they don't listen to jazz funk or library music to begin with. If you're into those kinds of music, then The Visitor is probably at the top of your list like it is for me. It is actually quite fantastic to my ears...but I fail to see how it could be brought up in discussion alongside Looper or Gravity.
By ironjaiden
That packaging is the only packaging. There's a vinyl variant but the burlap sleeve / gold bars is for every copy.
By ironjaiden
While it is less "musical" and more atmospheric the process Nathan Johnson (Rian's cousin) went through to create everything is really interesting. He spent some months before they shot the film just recording sounds in various shooting locations. He used those sounds to create the score.
There's a bit about the process in the liner notes.

The 7" has the Kid Koala track from the club scene if you feel like dancing.
By PaulZaza
Looooove the Artwork!!!!!!!

But it would be a shame if the song "powerful love" by Chuck and Mac wouldn't be on it !

This song is so beautiful and gets right to the core of the characters in the movie.
It's the heart of looper !

And I think this soundtrack is fantastic, I like "nonmusical" scores as much as I like musical ones. ..but I think that depends on your definition of music!

By liftman2013
@ghostfires I never compared The Visitor to Looper or Gravity, my basis of comments is all I ever see is people writing that Gravity doesn't interest them in anyway and is uninteresting to them. That is their opinion and I totally respect that, but I enjoyed the film and thought the soundtrack complemented it well. I just decided to take that moment to point out that I enjoyed it, and perhaps be a rare one that defends it. 'That's not just my opinion, but I believe that almost everyone that has listened to them would agree' - obviously emthasis on almost :-)
Whereas with The Visitor, its had a lot of praise, and I've barely read a bad word against it on here. 'One of the best all round packages Mondo have done' I believe was what I read. Again, I respect that as many's opinion, but likewise people denounce that Gravity is uninteresting to them, I guess that's how I found the Visitor. Maybe I do need to touch base with more Jazz Funk funk...
Yes too totally different soundtracks and styles, but that was the basis of having them both in the same thread.
By EdKings
OT: The package looks great! Wonder what the price will be since they've gone up every next release.. Gonna grab this one, and the next, and the next... (Mondo has gotten to me :o )
By liftman2013
haha :edkings. Don't get me wrong, not trying to start WW3 with anyone (that's world war 3 not grabbing Waxworks Release 3 and belting them round the head with it :-p ) but everyone likes to air their opinions on angles so thought would add a bit of mine.
By jdubtxn
Yeah it really is just preferences. I am not a fan of most orchestral soundtracks. Like Batman and Inception. Which around here might be a travesty. I do like them I just don't have the compulsion to own them. But give me anything funky, jazzy, or synth based and I will buy that stuff up. If you are fan of jazz funk The Visitor was a must have.
By EdKings
You don't like Batman and Inception!!!? Now you've done it!! WW3 has BEGUN!!!

;)
By zachbehm91
I think with a lot of these you must look at how they were created and how they work in context of the film. On the surface Gravity looks almost simplistic. But when you look at the recording process, the super 3D sound techniques they tried to use, the instruments they used to achieve some of the sounds for the score, and how effective it was in the film, you really start to understand why the music is so interesting. Same goes for any artists/bands music, as well as the looper score for example.
By renpen21
Has this been confirmed for Mondocon ? Was excepting it at SDCC but obviously didn't happen.
By layneharvey
i finally got around to listening to a few of the tracks from LOOPER, and i'm pretty sure i will pass on it. with SHAUN OF THE DEAD, 2001, and IRON GIANT coming in quick succession, LOOPER loses the battle for sure. and then there is the list of other things coming from OWS, WW, and DW. excuse me, i am getting a bit overwhelmed.
By Hoodini
[quote=24651]Yeah it really is just preferences. I am not a fan of most orchestral soundtracks. Like Batman and Inception. Which around here might be a travesty. I do like them I just don’t have the compulsion to own them. But give me anything funky, jazzy, or synth based and I will buy that stuff up. If you are fan of jazz funk The Visitor was a must have. [/quote]

Right on the track ; exactly as i feel !
By DISCOSUCKS...
I like Nathan Johnson's stuff, will probably wait for this to wash up on these shores though,,,
By phantomnoir
[quote=31702]i finally got around to listening to a few of the tracks from LOOPER, and i’m pretty sure i will pass on it. with SHAUN OF THE DEAD, 2001, and IRON GIANT coming in quick succession, LOOPER loses the battle for sure. and then there is the list of other things coming from OWS, WW, and DW. excuse me, i am getting a bit overwhelmed.[/quote]

I have to say I'm much more interested in Looper than in Shaun Of The Dead.
By PaulZaza
wow 70 Dollars retail price....Looks like the flippers are the Label bosses