Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By NathanLurker
Sad for the people that got fired. I actually like that they have very vast range of scores with a lot that I'm not interested in, cause I couldn't follow their release schedule if everything was to my taste. And it's become so expensive. single LP didn't use to be 35 usd but it happens somewhat often now. I'm really happy they got the Matango soundtrack out. That's one title I totally needed.

The music dept for now is intact right ? Only the poster dept is out ?
By inksb
Yeah the announcement said just the poster department and that the toy & music section were not effected by layoffs but I think that's only temporary.
By Bezulsqy
Was away for the weekend so am reading about all of this now.

Very strange. But maybe a blessing in disguise. The creatives behind Mondo shouldn't have a problem continuing by themselves. They probably have all the connections to do so.
They probably end up getting so big again to start this cycle of take-over and destroy all anew :-)

I am wondering if Spencer and Mo will stay. I can imaging that they might think of quitting and creating their own label? Why not. Why would you want to continue working under the umbrella of a company like Funko? Especially when you are so keen on releasing stuff from a fan perspective or from a passion you feel about something.

That said, why were they taking over in the first place and who benefited from the Funko takeover? Was the takeover necessary to keep the Mondo boat afloat (thinking of the Alamo Drafthouse bankruptcy).

Oh well... In the end it is what it is.
By inksb
I have no idea how their company structure works but I assume people like Spencer and Mo had little to no say about the sale of the company to Funko. If they did then maybe they just wanted the money
By deafmetal
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:31 am I am wondering if Spencer and Mo will stay. I can imaging that they might think of quitting and creating their own label? Why not. Why would you want to continue working under the umbrella of a company like Funko? Especially when you are so keen on releasing stuff from a fan perspective or from a passion you feel about something.
They might be inclined if they are under contract/NDA... or if Fuckno now has ownership of the Death Waltz and Mondo label names, which do have some value against starting over completely. Without capital/funding it's not easy to just launch a new label. Strange times.
By Hatter313
I’m sure all open orders will be fulfilled, and you can still place orders on the site. Better had, I snagged that crow poster and will be more than pissed if they are like nah not even what we had already in the can
By inksb
This sounds like your usual bad PR response with ridiculous over promises that will definitely not fail at all if they go through with them. lol

FsfKcApXwAA1Ssr.jpg
FsfKcApXwAA1Ssr.jpg (224.98 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
By Bub
Sounds like this guy was butthurt cause he missed a poster drop so this is his personal solution.

I don't buy as many Mondo records like I used to but I just imagined all forthcoming ones with the Funko logo on the jackets 🤮

This is from an FB group
20230330_155157.jpg
20230330_155157.jpg (237.24 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
By Hatter313
Eh, if all that is true then I’m fine with it, it originally sounded like they gutted the brand completely, but at the same time Spencer’s comment is interesting and telling. I also think if the CD is no longer Jones then you are missing a great deal of what made Mondo Mondo.

And Bub, I’ll take a pic for you at some point, I think the funko logo is thankfully rather small on recent releases. I get more annoyed by seeing it on my PayPal statement haha
By Hatter313
Ok, I retract my earlier cautious optimism, I was tired and not reading between the lines and not sure I clocked the shallowness of the statement nor who it was really from. I also spent an hour last night checking out the Twitter feeds of some of my favorite artists and yeah….that’s not gonna work for Funko.

I’ve met Daniel Danger, and maybe it was a con face he had on but he seemed like an extraordinarily mild mannered and friendly guy, all the artists in general have, and their reactions of solidarity and intensity in this are are very loud. Good for them, good for us, shame on funko for destroying something that was for a time really special.
By Bub
This is an interesting post by TV as it mentions Mondo & it doesn't sound good behind the scenes
20230420_152848.jpg
20230420_152848.jpg (607.35 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
By ScoJo
I can just add that from personal experience Mondo Distributed activities are on hold, as well as any planned Mondo-versions of other label releases.
By Hatter313
Better get that Crow poster. It was my final harrah from them.