Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
Just saw this. More money is a good thing but a company that has built it's entire reputation on churning out half assed cheap product doesn't necessarily give me good feelings. Wonder if we'll see a split of DW eventually???
By reddye6
I'm cautiously optimistic. Seeing folks comment on FB, it reminds me of when Mondo acquired Death Waltz -- all the same concerns. I could see them getting more money to release soundtracks in which I'm not interested (e.g., more mainstream), but with all the labels releasing film music, I'm fine with not buying things. Time will tell, I guess.
By inksb
Yeah, in reality I only buy a handful of things from them these days. So even if they just tanked it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm still annoyed we never got that Dead Wax score from DW. Really curious what happened to that, I'm sure there's a few around here that actually know and can't talk about it though.
By ScoJo
Umm... more toys, surely?

I've always really loathed Funko - can't stand the designs, the whole deal. Seems like this is likely a marriage made in 'nothing for you to see here, ScoJo!' ;)
By inksb
When Funko first started I thought it was kind of a neat little cheap figure then it quickly turned into a mass market of generic toys marketed towards collecting with zero creativity.
By thewaystation
To somebody who was following Death Waltz before their first release, this is interesting and frustrating to witness. A sentence like “Mondo’s devoted fanbase and high-end pop culture collectibles make it the perfect complement to Funko’s current portfolio of brands“ exposes, in marrying insipid business lingo with condescendence to the ‘kids‘, why staying independent appears to be the only way forward. Don‘t get me wrong, you‘re probably right when you say it won‘t change much, and I haven‘t bought much from Death Waltz /Mondo for years, either. My frustration is of a more naive and general nature, witnessing how genuine passion for culture is absorbed by sth that clearly plays by different rules, in two steps. Sorry if this is a rant.

Edit: This is an even better illustration of what irks me most: “Mondo will operate as a unique brand in the portfolio, gradually integrating into common back-end functions where it increases efficiency or makes sense.” Is it just me, or isn‘t the very nature of such wording the exact opposite of what the product is, allegedly, about?
By NathanLurker
Doesn't matter to me. I already pass on their toys, mugs, posters (I do like to see the poster artwork in the emails they send, even if I don't buy them), etc, and at the end of the day, I'll still be buying the soundtracks that interest me and passing on others that don't.
By Bezulsqy
Does it matter anymore how these business are structured? We all buy records from whatever company if the specific score is one we really want. Every time I think of cash grabbing and records I think of the score for Drive that gets a new jacket and color every other year or so...
That said I understand the negative sentiment when a once beloved little outfit becomes part of a corporate entity. I really love Terror Vision not only because of their releases but just a much because of DIY feel surrounding them. If they would merge with another company at one point I would also be really sad.
Oh well...
By reddye6
FYI, Funk/Mondo is hiring a project manager for music/soundtracks. Job listing says Austin but also "remote" (not sure if it means remote in Austin or if it can be anywhere).
By reddye6
I did ask Death Waltz about the remote nature of the job, and they responded that it is indeed truly remote.