Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By havershaw
White now sold out too! I’m kind of shocked.

But there’s no mention on their product page about the orange being Mondo-only, or that the green and white are retail variants, so maybe that’s why?
By NathanLurker
I went for the orange too. none of the colors really felt more important to me than the others, so I just went with the one that won't be repressed. I mean, what is the use of collecting if we can't brag about the limitedness of our records heh ? ;)

Welcome to the forum havershaw !
By Mateo Sanboval
havershaw wrote:White now sold out too! I’m kind of shocked.

But there’s no mention on their product page about the orange being Mondo-only, or that the green and white are retail variants, so maybe that’s why?
Exactly so. Folks are likely buying these in relatively equal measure and the online allotments Mondo has for the two repressable retail variants are probably just less than their single pressing in house variant. Without the foreknowledge you offered up here, most folks have no idea. Couple that with the fact that the 4 & 5 retail variants are orange and you can see why many people would guess that the white and green are more limited. Not to mention those who can check Mondo inventory are feeding other forums and social media with the info that the green and white are more limited.
By DigitalHiss
I snagged the orange based on it being a more solid color than the other two...

I also snagged the H4 and 5 combo thing...

Looks like all the H3 variants are sold out from Mondoas of me posting this...it is a fucking incredible score...
By inksb
I couldn't resist today and grabbed the orange H3. I also received my boxset today (4 days earlier than my tracking said it would be here!) and boy is it pretty. I feel bad for those that plan on reselling it as it is super easy to scuff. Mine came with a few minor blemishes but it doesn't bother me. I went to wipe off some packaging debris and my wedding ring put a white scuff on the box, oops! Oh well this is mine and I don't plan on selling it unless I'm in dire need to extra money. I don't think I'll be picking up the re-issue of part 2 but maybe they will entice me with killer packaging again. Definitely in for Halloween though as I don't own that in any capacity.
By milliondollars
not sure if the was discussed before but does anyone know if the planed Halloween 1 score is without dialogue? really love my Mondo pressing from a few years ago but i would love to have one without dialogue...
By Mateo Sanboval
milliondollars wrote:not sure if the was discussed before but does anyone know if the planed Halloween 1 score is without dialogue? really love my Mondo pressing from a few years ago but i would love to have one without dialogue...
The *ahem* million dollar question.
By havershaw
There’s someone on eBay selling a copy of H4 and it shows the back of the obi strip, which lists among the “coming soon”:

“HALLOWEEN 40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION FEATURING A BRAND NEW AUDIO MASTER AND NEW PACKAGE DESIGN BY NEIL SAPUTO”
By Mateo Sanboval
havershaw wrote:There’s someone on eBay selling a copy of H4 and it shows the back of the obi strip, which lists among the “coming soon”:

“HALLOWEEN 40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION FEATURING A BRAND NEW AUDIO MASTER AND NEW PACKAGE DESIGN BY NEIL SAPUTO”
So that may very well mean that there is a completely new master (with or without dialogue) made just for this release or it may mean that it's the same as the one they previously reissued. They referred to H3 being a new (re)master, which it is, but it is also the same as their last reissue.

Welcome to the board by the way, Havershaw.
By Bezulsqy
I have not read through all the blurbs concerning these releases. But if they state that releases have a BRAND NEW audio master that should not mean that the master is 4 years old. Brand new 4 years ago is not brand new now.
I hate marketing speak. It is not that they are not selling enough of these releases. Stop with the hyperbole. Simply tell the truth.
Also, for whom would mastering info be a deal breaker? I would think someone who really cares about a superior master (if there is one) would run away when seeing all these color in color split splatter wax...

Anyways, @Havershaw: welcome!

-edit-
In the Mondo Monthly Music mail it says :
The audio is the remaster used by Death Waltz in 2015 (taken from the original 2-inch master tapes by composer Alan Howarth) that we've pressed into vinyl using new stampers.
Thank you Mondo for being legit!
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote:I have not read through all the blurbs concerning these releases. But if they state that releases have a BRAND NEW audio master that should not mean that the master is 4 years old. Brand new 4 years ago is not brand new now.
I hate marketing speak. It is not that they are not selling enough of these releases. Stop with the hyperbole. Simply tell the truth.
Also, for whom would mastering info be a deal breaker? I would think someone who really cares about a superior master (if there is one) would run away when seeing all these color in color split splatter wax...

Good point, Bez. It may very well be a brand new master. "Brand new" is a pretty specific term. We'll find out what that entails soon enough.
By inksb
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Bezulsqy wrote:I have not read through all the blurbs concerning these releases. But if they state that releases have a BRAND NEW audio master that should not mean that the master is 4 years old. Brand new 4 years ago is not brand new now.

Good point, Bez. It may very well be a brand new master. "Brand new" is a pretty specific term. We'll find out what that entails soon enough.
The thing that makes me hopeful about H1 is that on the back of H4/H5 in the coming soon they list all three upcoming releases and the only one that states "brand new" is H1. So fingers crossed.
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:

The thing that makes me hopeful about H1 is that on the back of H4/H5 in the coming soon they list all three upcoming releases and the only one that states "brand new" is H1. So fingers crossed.
I'm making the thumbs up sign with my left hand right now.
By havershaw
Whomever has been answering my emails at Mondo has been pretty forthcoming, so I emailed him again asking him about this.

I have the OG Varèse releases of H1 and H2 (I bought them new in the 80s when I was a kid). I didn’t get the last H1 reissue because I’m not really a fan of having film dialogue in my soundtrack albums. So I’m really hoping this is a new master with no dialogue.

I had the MCA H3 when I was a kid, but I lost it many years ago, and then I missed out on the last reissue, so I jumped at grabbing this new one. I like this packaging *a lot* more than the last reissue of it.
By havershaw
*tip*

Halloween 3 is now in the “archived” section of Mondo’s site, but you appear to be able to order the orange again.
By havershaw
In fact, the only way I could find it was by searching for “Halloween” on the Mondo site, which showed me an archived page after I scrolled down.

There, it says:

This item is a Pre-Order, and will not ship until December 2018. This product page is intended for customers who purchased Halloween 4 & 5 + Slipcase Bundle, but were unable to purchase Halloween 3: Season Of The Witch LP.

NOTE: This product page will close at 11:59PM CST on Sunday 9/2. The clock is ticking...

link to that page:
https://mondotees.com/products/hallowee ... e-witch-lp
By inksb
So I put on my H5 last night, at first I thought it was a really dirty record so I cleaned it and the sound didn't change so I lightly put my finger on the edge of the LP as it rotated and discovered there was something one it. I took the LP off the turntable and saw that the record had some flat spots on the edge and an indent on the side of the LP. I flipped it over on side B to discover that it was even worse on the first song, I looked at it and there is a huge spot where there wasn't enough plastic poured into the mold. I've never seen a defect on an LP like this before. It's unlistenable on side B for the entirety of the first track.

https://m.imgur.com/a/IUgQXVp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAIzFrysXA0

The audio is low on that because it was taken with my 4 year shitty phone but you get the idea.

This has been such a shitty run of LP's for me lately. BTILC, Ghosts of Mars and now this.
By deafmetal
@inksb - That sucks, I have not even opened up my box set yet. I had a similar defect on an LP where there was a hole about 1mm deep in the first track for no apparent reason. Mondo should offer a replacement for you if you send them that photo and audio sample. They have been responsive for me for defective pressings.
By inksb
Mondo is sending a replacement. I was a little worried as a few years ago I had an issue with something I bought from them and they were awful, gave me a run around and then said they would only replace what I ordered if I send what I had back to them out of my own pocket and once they received and inspected it they would send me a replacement. The whole interaction soured me on them for a while. At this point I don't even know what the issue was, I just remember being pissed at them. But they were very good here, responded with in 24 hours and is sending a replacement "soon".
By Mateo Sanboval
I am getting really and truly discouraged by new vinyl pressings/reissues these last couple of years. It used to be easier to guess where to spend my money by simply observing which companies rarely, if ever, had issues and which had them often, but now even the rare issues come with more hassles in the return chain, if returns are even possible or worthwhile. Not to mention jus plain poor pressings or masterings which will likely never get improved upon. Plus $35-45 price points. It's growing stale. As a result, I'm buying used records more than ever right now.
By havershaw
I haven’t opened my box set either, but now I feel like I better do that tonight.

I had a problem with a scratch on one disc of the recent Jurassic Park repress and I had a similar (good) experience - they shipped me a new first disc pretty much immediately.
By Mateo Sanboval
milliondollars wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I am getting really I'm buying used records more than ever right now.
welcome to my world...
Hahaha